• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dane Brugler of the Athletic Mock: Panthers trade up to 3 for Fields

Captain Morgan

2 hours ago, stirs said:

No way I would trade up for a QB in this draft.  Lawrence is about the only one that is pretty much got it all.

The rest have a lot of "ifs" about them.  No way you mortgage it all for what it would take to get someone who has the potential to bust.

I think the QB talk is just that.  Lance should be there at 8, maybe even Fields

55 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's pretty much me, and I'm not even as big a fan of Lawrence as most are.

All three of the "runner up," quarterbacks have too many questions for me to be comfortable with a deal like this.

So what would you prefer to do? Are you comfortable going with Teddy if a QB doesn’t make it to 8?  Draft a later round QB like Trask or Newman?  Wait till next year? 

I’m not saying you’re wrong, part of me wants to be patient and wait at 8 also, but I can see why they are considering it.

How often do you really get a chance to draft a QB without concerns? If they don’t have concerns they go first and some years even those do. 

6 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

It’s not too much when you are taking a chance on getting your franchise QB. We aren’t going to be picking this high again hopefully, and franchise QB’s don’t grow on trees. We will never win consistently (need I remind you we have never had back to back winning seasons) unless we have one.

please send example of the last time this strategy worked, will venmo you a grand.

33 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

So what would you prefer to do? Are you comfortable going with Teddy if a QB doesn’t make it to 8?  Draft a later round QB like Trask or Newman?  Wait till next year? 

I’m not saying you’re wrong, part of me wants to be patient and wait at 8 also, but I can see why they are considering it.

How often do you really get a chance to draft a QB without concerns? If they don’t have concerns they go first and some years even those do. 

See what happens at 8 or trade down.

And yes, I am willing to wait until next year to get our franchise guy if that's what it takes.

• Pie 2

52 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

The Chiefs traded up from 27th to 10th for Mahomes. They have two super bowl appearances with one win.

I was about to say the same thing. People make me laugh who flip out over taking a chance on getting a franchise QB who will be on a rookie wage scale. Is it risky? Absolutely. Is it worth it if you find a franchise QB? No question...you allow yourself to then compete for championships and build around them. Cam Newton changed our franchise overnight even his first few seasons when we weren’t a playoff team. We all knew we had a future and could complete as he developed and could go as far as he would take us. Unfortunately terrible coaching ended up holding us back. I believe we have the right coaches in place to build a program, and we need a franchise QB to build with or it’s all for nothing. Look at what Allen has done for Buffalo as another example, they aren’t making the playoffs if they are staring Teddy at QB.

Edited by WarPanthers89

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

please send example of the last time this strategy worked, will venmo you a grand.

Mahomes. Also how many Shaq Thompson’s, Kelvin Benjamin’s, Vernon Butlers etc do you think it takes to turn around a franchise? CMC is my favorite guy on the team and is an absolute beast, but he’s not making us a team who competes for a super bowl...only a franchise QB does that. Remember the impact Newton had on this team even as a rookie? We weren’t a playoff team but we had hope and knew as he developed we could compete as we built around him. Without a QB you go nowhere. If we feel we have a franchise QB available you go get them. The Chiefs don’t regret it, our big brother Bills don’t regret it, And many other teams surely regret not trading the farm to #5 or higher last year for Herbert. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

See what happens at 8 or trade down.

And yes, I am willing to wait until next year to get our franchise guy if that's what it takes.

Trading down and picking up someone like Mac Jones, I assume that is who you are talking about, is a very valid option.  Would you be willing to take him at 8 or where do you think you could trade back to and take him? 
In regard to next year, what’s the chances we are in position to take a QB with no concerns? If I knew I could get the #1 pick I would be all for that, but there is a chance we might be picking later in next years draft and some people says next years class is worse.
Basically we would be passing on trading up for a better prospect this year so we can take a worse prospect next without trading up. 
Problem with QBs is they are almost always over drafted. 

Here again, I’m not opposed to waiting, but I can definitely see arguments both ways.

1 hour ago, PootieNunu said:

The Chiefs traded up from 27th to 10th for Mahomes. They have two super bowl appearances with one win.

You see a Patrick Mahomes in this draft class?

I don't.

Skill wise, maybe Wilson but his physical profile reminds me an awful lot of Teddy Bridgewater. I'm not sure he can take the pounding a pro quarterback takes.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

You see a Patrick Mahomes in this draft class?

I don't.

Skill wise, maybe Wilson but his physical profile reminds me an awful lot of Teddy Bridgewater. I'm not sure he can take the pounding a pro quarterback takes.

Nobody saw Patrick Mahomes when Patrick Mahomes was drafted either, if they had he would have gone first.