• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dane Brugler of the Athletic Mock: Panthers trade up to 3 for Fields

Captain Morgan

2 hours ago, AU-panther said:

So what would you prefer to do? Are you comfortable going with Teddy if a QB doesn’t make it to 8?  Draft a later round QB like Trask or Newman?  Wait till next year? 

I’m not saying you’re wrong, part of me wants to be patient and wait at 8 also, but I can see why they are considering it.

How often do you really get a chance to draft a QB without concerns? If they don’t have concerns they go first and some years even those do. 

I think Wilson could be an injury concern waiting to happen.  I do not like Fields inconsistency.  I worry about Lance playing at less that top level competition and running our style of offense.

Those things give me pause for giving up waaaay too much of things we sorely need on the HOPES that we find the next Mahomes.  Chances are, most will find the next Mariota, or Carr, someone fair, but certainly not worth the draft capital you gave up to get them.

Plus, I am very conservative on drafting QB's.  I was scared to death when we had the number 1 pick and took Cam.  I wanted to trade down.

Lastly, Jones is more of a Brady than a Mahomes physically.  Not saying he can perform at Super Bowl level, just using those 2 as examples.  Both models can get you a Super Bowl, just not sure which type Rhule and Brady want, most Rhule since Brady will be gone in the next couple of years.

43 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You see a Patrick Mahomes in this draft class?

I don't.

Skill wise, maybe Wilson but his physical profile reminds me an awful lot of Teddy Bridgewater. I'm not sure he can take the pounding a pro quarterback takes.

No, not saying I do. I just wanted the grand, lol. 

I dont think many saw Mahomes in Mahomes otherwise he would not have went 10th, he would have been pick 1.

I will be happy if we get Lance.

Edited by PootieNunu

23 minutes ago, stirs said:

I think Wilson could be an injury concern waiting to happen.  I do not like Fields inconsistency.  I worry about Lance playing at less that top level competition and running our style of offense.

Those things give me pause for giving up waaaay too much of things we sorely need on the HOPES that we find the next Mahomes.  Chances are, most will find the next Mariota, or Carr, someone fair, but certainly not worth the draft capital you gave up to get them.

Plus, I am very conservative on drafting QB's.  I was scared to death when we had the number 1 pick and took Cam.  I wanted to trade down.

Lastly, Jones is more of a Brady than a Mahomes physically.  Not saying he can perform at Super Bowl level, just using those 2 as examples.  Both models can get you a Super Bowl, just not sure which type Rhule and Brady want, most Rhule since Brady will be gone in the next couple of years.

What would be your choice of action this year?

Just now, AU-panther said:

What would be your choice of action this year?

We have already tried getting a QB via trade, so we are looking at proven guys.  Watson is all that is left unless the new GM has a line on Russell Wilson, so that leaves the draft.

I do not think all 4 QB's will be gone by the time we pick.  After Jacksonville, you could make the case that every team has their QB already in place.  Of course you can make the case that anybody can take a QB, it is what makes us all go nuts every single time a new MOCK comes out.

It is a tight rope, but I would sit tight and take Fields or Lance at 8.  I think both might be there when we pick.  The wild card will be SF trading in front of us with Detroit to grab someone.

Most likely, if our guys think he can run our system, we will have a choice between the Mahomes type guy in Lance, or the Brady type guy in Jones.  It is up to our coaches and the system they use going forward.

Either way, we surround them with a lot of good players by keeping our picks.  It is about the best you can do in the 8 spot

26 minutes ago, stirs said:

We have already tried getting a QB via trade, so we are looking at proven guys.  Watson is all that is left unless the new GM has a line on Russell Wilson, so that leaves the draft.

I do not think all 4 QB's will be gone by the time we pick.  After Jacksonville, you could make the case that every team has their QB already in place.  Of course you can make the case that anybody can take a QB, it is what makes us all go nuts every single time a new MOCK comes out.

It is a tight rope, but I would sit tight and take Fields or Lance at 8.  I think both might be there when we pick.  The wild card will be SF trading in front of us with Detroit to grab someone.

Most likely, if our guys think he can run our system, we will have a choice between the Mahomes type guy in Lance, or the Brady type guy in Jones.  It is up to our coaches and the system they use going forward.

Either way, we surround them with a lot of good players by keeping our picks.  It is about the best you can do in the 8 spot

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve said all along my perfect scenario is if we can draft one of the top 4 QBs without trading up.  I’m just not sure if the team is willing to risk it.

I’m not totally sold on Jones, but I could easily be wrong. If we go the Jones route it would be nice if we could pick up an extra pick by trading down, but that could get risky.

Edited by AU-panther