• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

La Canfora on Tepper's desire for Watson/franchise QB

top dawg

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Reasonable.

That's the thing that most Panthers fans seem to ignore in a lot of these "hypothetical" trade discussions, positional value. 

That's why CMC isn't worth very much as a RB on a massive deal. That's why guys like Moore and Burns ARE worth a lot because they are at premium positions at an entry level price. 

2 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I think Burns is one of best assets if any team out there that might be interested in Watson.

People need to remember that all 1st aren’t created equal.  

If they wants Burns, my best offer is probably the 2021 and 2022 first and Burns. He's worth that third 1st rounder, the additional player and whatever BS picks you want to throw in. I'd consider putting other picks on the table if they take Teddy, which is probably extremely unreasonable considering their cap situation. 

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You can hardly contain yourself with the erotic thoughts of an old moneyed white man "teaching a lesson" to a young talented black man stepping out of line.

Maybe they are dumb enough to cut off their own nose to spite their face but they'll have to tank their organization to do it and Watson will still end up eventually playing elsewhere 

Simply a factual observation on one of the possible outcomes within the set.  Folks seem to be ignoring how "old moneyed white men" just might behave.

Watson's contract obligates him to play for the Texans through the 2025 season...if he plays it out and goes somewhere else in 2026 through free-agency more power to him.

Here's the thing, unless his character/personality have reversed course since paying for Dabo...I believe Deshaun to be a respectful young man.  When it comes time to show up and play he won't act out in the wildly childish and inappropriate way you seem to suggest he is capable of -- but rather he will give it his best as he always has.

40 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Definitely.

If you hired me to run your team, and then the first thing you did was start overriding my decisions, I'd likely tell you to kiss my ass and good luck searching for a new GM.

From what I've read about Fitterer, I don't necessarily think he rolls over for something like that either.

I'd probably give the boss 1.  And bring it up, and have a LONG conversation about it.

If he chose to stick with me, he got his 1....never again.

4 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Steelers called LeVeon Bell's bluff -- twice!

Au contraire!  It's always best to keep your "franchise QB" within the fold.

The definition of naivete is failing to consider all the possible outcomes...

Everyone here is considering all possible outcomes.

Leveon Bell is an RB. A QB is a totally different animal! And, the fact is is that Leveon Bell ultimately got his wish in some form of fashion, and the Steelers looked real sketchy without him (and still do, really). They tried replacing him and have yet to be successful. RBs are relatively easy to be replaced, but not so much a franchise QB who will ultimately end up playing somewhere else if that's what he's committed to doing.

1 minute ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Simply a factual observation on one of the possible outcomes within the set.  Folks seem to be ignoring how "old moneyed white men" just might behave.

Watson's contract obligates him to play for the Texans through the 2025 season...if he plays it out and goes somewhere else in 2026 through free-agency more power to him.

Here's the thing, unless his character/personality have reversed course since paying for Dabo...I believe Deshaun to be a respectful young man.  When it comes time to show up and play he won't act out in the wildly childish and inappropriate way you seem to suggest he is capable of -- but rather he will give it his best as he always has.

Houston would also have a 36 million dollar cap hit annually for someone to not play for them.

They will likely already lose 40% or more of their STHs this year.

• Beer 1

Just now, top dawg said:

Everyone here is considering all possible outcomes.

Leveon Bell is an RB. A QB is a totally different animal! And, the fact is is that Leveon Bell ultimately got his wish in some form of fashion, and the Steelers looked real sketchy without him (and still do, really). They tried replacing him and have yet to be successful. RBs are relatively easy to be replaced, but not so much a franchise QB who will ultimately end up playing somewhere else if that's what he's committed to doing.

yep, RBs are largely replaceable.  CMC is the best RB in the NFL.....and random Mike Davis did a pretty good impersonation of him early on.   

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

You have already lashed out at Watson on numerous occasions and called him a "whiny bitch." Then you went on to laud JJ Watt.

Strange how you were silent when he engineered his way out of his "contractual obligation."

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

yep, RBs are largely replaceable.  CMC is the best RB in the NFL.....and random Mike Davis did a pretty good impersonation of him early on.   

By season's end, we were runningback by committee.

Regardless of what you think of McCaffrey, the notion that he was replaceable by Mike Davis is beyond silly. Davis isn't anything even remotely close to the weapon that McCaffrey is.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Hence why you don't make a RB one of the highest paid in the NFL. See Hurney 1.0, 2.0 and I am sure eventually 3.0 for the WTF's. 

Edited by kungfoodude

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

No disrespect to Gross-Matos, but if you're coming from the perspective of trading away a player like Deshaun Watson (while needing to replace a franchise legend like JJ Watt) and I offer you a rookie rather than a guy like Brian Burns in return, are you taking my offer seriously?

Why stop there though? If you're Houston and trading away Watson and I'm offering 3 1sts, 3 2nds, Burns, CMC, and Donte Jackson but not including DJ Moore, Chinn and the next 3 3rd round picks too, are you taking my offer seriously? I mean you're not offering every single valuable asset you have? What kind of fool do you make me out to be?!  How dare the Texans even consider an offer including 3 1sts and a promising young pass rusher in Gross-Matos. Get out of here with that weak crap.

I was one of the first to suggest Watson before he got his big extension.   So my desire for Watson is documented.  

While I realize out new front office promises to be more aggressive,  it may end up being to aggressive. Getting rid of Burns would be an example of to aggressive.  We've been tying to rebuild the pass rush for a long time, and we're finally getting there, but haven't arrived. Getting rid of burns, will set us back on pass rush, which isn't easy to replace.  

Ultimately, the Texans hold all the cards. I'd be shocked if Watson is wearing another uniform this next season.  

• Beer 1