• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN Predicts Watson to be the Panthers starter in 2021

Big Sexy

39 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Not trying to be funny, but who gives a fv<k what Joe Banner thinks? Plenty of people think it would be a great deal, but many have also acknowledged that we might even be willing to sweeten the pot if that deal was ever put on the table, particularly if the Dolphins or Jets come stronger.

Exactly, this is the season for hyperbolic BS to be thrown out.  Carson Wentz was being thrown out by various parties as being worth 2 1sts and the market settled at a much more reasonable price.

11 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

It’s amazing we have a legit chance to land this dude and there are people on here whining about it. 

To be fair, believing that something probably isn't going to happen is not the same thing as being against it happening.

I haven't really seen anybody be against the idea of having Deshaun Watson. There is some legitimate questioning of whether what we might have to give up to get him would be too much.

For my part, I just don't think the Texans are going to trade him. It's also possible that if they do, it might be far enough in the future that we'll have already gone down a different path.

2 minutes ago, Little Goody Two Shoes said:

Valid point but Jets and Dolphins also have to be willing to trade those additional assets. It seems Tepper is willing. Jets and Dolphins both have young QBs with unknown potential, they may not be willing to give up more or even as much as the Panthers are. Just because they have assets doesn't mean they'll use them for Watson.

Another point is, Miami is sticking with Tua, they aren’t trading for Watson. The Jets, at least to me, lack the players to compete offers from us. Do they have more picks, of course, but Tepper would probably shell out more future picks than NYJ is comfortable with especially with a new coach. Trading out of conference makes us have the advantage as well. That does matter, some may disagree but it does matter. To me, the Niners are the team to watch out for in this trade. Will Watson be a Panther? I don’t know. Is it possible he will be? Yes. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Yep.

I mean I’d rather not trade Brian Burns but if Houston says “Watson is yours if you include Burns” I’m cool with it.

There shouldn’t be a dude on this roster that’s untouchable when mentioning a deal for Watson.

We have some folks thinking if we trade for him we trade for his roster and coach and everything. Which is obviously not the case. 

Most of us were happy and excited about Rhule doing well last year with an inept QB and below average roster. The defense, which was practically all new Last year, gets experience under its belt. The offensive line isn’t near as bad as some posters want it to be. Most metrics have it right around the middle of the pack. And our weapons speak for themselves. 

Watson would be a massive addition, and I see very little chance we wouldn’t be in the hunt for the playoffs or even better with him next season.  

• Pie 4

50 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

Come on now. I feel like we're getting wrapped up in some euphoric echo chamber now. He's a top 5 player for sure. He's not Mahomes or Rodgers level yet. He's also had some injury concerns with his ACL (x2) and back. All that being said, yeah you absolutely trade 2-3 firsts and CMC for him if you can. 

I 100% agree that he isn't on Rodgers level yet, but I also agree that Watson is just behind Mahomes in value. When talking value, age is a factor, and being 12 years younger is more valuable than the difference playing level at this point.

2 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

Wrong. No QB will hamstring us for years. It's absolutely worth it.

the Patriot/Brady example. 

They had Tom Brady.  Then they had an offense that could hang with anyone.  Last 15 years they drafted a Guard in the first round.  That's all they did of note.  QB matters so sigfnicant more than anything else.   A long term top 5 QB is worth more than 3 first rounders in reality. 

• Pie 2

29 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we don't come out of this off-season with either Watson or Wilson, it's time to half-ass it for Howell.

Don't sleep on Fields or Lance. We have plenty of options this year and there's no chance we're going to be in play for Howell.

54 minutes ago, t96 said:

Obviously, but there's definitely a cutoff point where the value won't make sense. 3 first round picks, Burns and another piece is too much in my eyes, if that's what they want. Burns is worth 2 first round picks easily. 5 first round picks (1 of which is guaranteed to be top 10 in a loaded QB draft) plus more just doesn't make any sense for us, even to get Watson. I'd much rather take a shot on a rookie QB and have him on that cheap contract plus keep the rest of our pieces to build around that guy if the price for Watson is that high. 

3 1sts and McCaffrey

I agree giving up Burns or Brown is dumb.  But I think 3 1sts and CMC is a great deal, especially when you consider the 1st this year will likely be used on a QB no matter what.  That pick is a wash IMO.  And while I LOVE McCaffrey and consider him extremely valuable (I have his jersey and will always love it) he's worth throwing in there considering he's no longer on a rookie contract.  

Just now, t96 said:

Don't sleep on Fields or Lance. We have plenty of options this year and there's no chance we're going to be in play for Howell.

I'm not sleeping on them. I like them. I just don't love them and I think they'll both be gone before #8 and I'm not feeling a trade up for one of them. Like I said, of we're gonna mortgage the franchise on a trade for a QB, I want Watson or Lance this year or just wait and take our shot next year. Unless we just absolutely fall in love with Fields or Lance in the pre-draft process, then go for it.

44 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean....IDK about that. Wilson, Rodgers, Brady are all ahead of him on that list, I would say.

Unquestionably an elite QB, however.

If talking sure value on the playing field, no doubt I put Rodgers and Wilson ahead of him. If talking overall value, Watson is ahead of all except Mahomes due to age. For instance, he is 12 years younger than Rodgers, that more than makes up for the slight difference in play on the field. 

1 minute ago, Mage said:

3 1sts and McCaffrey

I agree giving up Burns or Brown is dumb.  But I think 3 1sts and CMC is a great deal, especially when you consider the 1st this year will likely be used on a QB no matter what.  That pick is a wash IMO.  And while I LOVE McCaffrey and consider him extremely valuable (I have his jersey and will always love it) he's worth throwing in there considering he's no longer on a rookie contract.  

That's the deal I keep coming back to. I'd live to keep CMC, but if we have to part with a star caliber player he's the one I'd part with and it has everything to do with positional value for me.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair, believing that something probably isn't going to happen is not the same thing as being against it happening.

I haven't really seen anybody be against the idea of having Deshaun Watson. There is some legitimate questioning of whether what we might have to give up to get him would be too much.

For my part, I just don't think the Texans are going to trade him. It's also possible that if they do, it might be far enough in the future that we'll have already gone down a different path.

I just don’t agree with the folks saying “x, x,

x, and x” is too much. Obviously there is a line where it gets to be too much, but three firsts isn’t crossing that line for a top 5 (let me say it again, top 5) player in the most important position in sports. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

the Patriot/Brady example. 

They had Tom Brady.  Then they had an offense that could hang with anyone.  Last 15 years they drafted a Guard in the first round.  That's all they did of note.  QB matters so sigfnicant more than anything else.   A long term top 5 QB is worth more than 3 first rounders in reality. 

Fugging rack