Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

ESPN Predicts Watson to be the Panthers starter in 2021


Recommended Posts

Lotta chatter for a player not on the market.  There is a chance they attempt to reconcile, but the JJ departure was huge because it reflects a coup of sorts, and once a general defects, you do not pull him back and put him back in charge. 

They had best get rid of him.

I would ask all players if they want out, and make a list of unhappy campers--trade them if I could, cut them if I couldn't.  You can't paint rotten wood.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am hoping Miami isn't interested in paying that huge price for Watson.  SF has a big problem getting around Jimmy Gs contract and I don't see him wanting to go to the Jets.

Falcons don't appear to have the stomach to go after him either with Matts contract and the cost.

Can he force his way out of Houston?  Thats my biggest question.

Edited by Shocker
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Lotta chatter for a player not on the market.  There is a chance they attempt to reconcile, but the JJ departure was huge because it reflects a coup of sorts, and once a general defects, you do not pull him back and put him back in charge. 

They had best get rid of him.

I would ask all players if they want out, and make a list of unhappy campers--trade them if I could, cut them if I couldn't.  You can't paint rotten wood.

That's potentially a loooot of players to lose in a single offseason though.

And the cap implications 😳

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MVPccaffrey said:

This is the corollary Mister Scott refuses to address.  It might so happen that Dolphins/Jets view the 2nd and 3rd QB out of the college ranks so favorably that by their calculus, it isn't worth a trade for Watson that includes picks/players anywhere close to what's rumored for Carolina, three 1sts + CMC, and thus would not want to match it, when they feel that the college QB + keeping those picks is better to build an elite team now.

Meanwhile that plays into us trading for Watson, because from our perspective the 4th or 5th QB off the board isn't that valuable in Tepper's eyes, and thus a trade calculus including those multiple 1sts is in fact worth it. 

Honestly, it's something I haven't really considered either. I could see the Jets going draft with a new staff and not giving up the haul for Watson. I absolutely can't see that with the Dolphins though. They just drafted Tua in the 1st. If they make a move at QB, it'll be selling the farm for Watson. I just have the hunch that they really are sold on Tua though, for better or worse.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, it's something I haven't really considered either. I could see the Jets going draft with a new staff and not giving up the haul for Watson. I absolutely can't see that with the Dolphins though. They just drafted Tua in the 1st. If they make a move at QB, it'll be selling the farm for Watson. I just have the hunch that they really are sold on Tua though, for better or worse.

If Im the Jets, honestly I stay put, draft Wilson or Fields at #2, and try and build a juggernaut around him with all the fresh 1st rounders they have in the next few years.  They are in a completely different situation than us.  

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We definitely don't have the draft capital those other teams do. If they want defensive players, we can offer one of the better options in Brian Burns but not a whole lot of people like that idea much.

Logically speaking, even the best quarterback offer is gonna be a step down. Of course, if a team had a quarterback on Watson's level, what would be the incentive of trading for Watson?

We have a top 10 pick which makes only the Jets out of the main 3 better. Throw in the fact we are willing to part with CMC and a defensive player, IMO the Jets can’t come close. Not even mentioning the No Trade Claus (the Jets shouldn’t be on any player’s list of preferred destinations). The Niners would have to part with Bosa (which I don’t see happening) to come close. My biggest concern was the Dolphins with their 4 first rounders and Tua, since they appear to be backing out I think we might have the next best package with draft picks and players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, it's something I haven't really considered either. I could see the Jets going draft with a new staff and not giving up the haul for Watson. I absolutely can't see that with the Dolphins though. They just drafted Tua in the 1st. If they make a move at QB, it'll be selling the farm for Watson. I just have the hunch that they really are sold on Tua though, for better or worse.

They might.

Sticking with Tua over a chance at Watson though? That's a tough sell.

If Tua doesn't turn into something phenomenal, you wind up looking like a Grade A idiot there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, joemac said:

If Im the Jets, honestly I stay put, draft Wilson or Fields at #2, and try and build a juggernaut around him with all the fresh 1st rounders they have in the next few years.  They are in a completely different situation than us.  

Honestly, I agree. At #2, you're sitting in a position to get a QB who would be the #1 overall pick in just about any draft in most other years 

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

whatever it takes idc  MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!! oportunities dont come around this often , make it happen idc what we give up get watson that solves our biggest hole , free agency and drafts can solve the rest , make it happen! this will be the quickest way back to a superbowl

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, picks aren't guaranteed to be great players. You just don't know. Trading for a player you know is great is logical.

Rhule, Tepper et all probably believe they can do a much better job of surrounding Watson with the right players.

Looking at Houston's consistent blunders it's a high probability.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trueblade said:

John McClain was on the KJZ show this morning as I was driving in.

C) He still thinks the Texans hang onto Watson, but IF traded he would still rank NYJ and MIA as the most likely destinations.

Last 10 Seasons:

NY Jets = 0 divisions win, 0 playoff appearances/games.

Texans = 6 AFC South titles, 6 playoff appearances, 10 playoff games.

The NY Jets are where playing and coaching careers go to die.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I disagree. If your  leader of the team doesn’t want to be there, it can’t bode well for the team’s morale. I can see him sitting out a few games to the whole year (yeah it’s that bad, especially after they let Watt go).

 Holding Watson hostage hurts the team and makes Houston and even less desirable destination for free agents.

Trade the man, collect your bounty of players and draft picks and start helping out the community with some much needed PR.

Are you suggesting Deshaun would commit acts of moral turpitude along the lines of James Harden?  Wow.

The only one doing any hostage holding right now is Deshaun himself!  (#NeverPayRansom)

Clearly you are not a Texans fan or resident of Houston/TX...the last thing they want to see is Deshaun moved.

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Poo 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Are you suggesting Deshaun would commit acts of moral turpitude along the lines of James Harden?  Wow.

The only one doing any hostage holding right now is Deshaun himself!  (#NeverPayRansom)

Clearly you are not a Texans fan or resident of Houston/TX...the last thing they want to see is Deshaun moved.

Well this is a Panthers forum, so yeah I’m not a Texans fan. Look the team isn’t ready to compete right now. They had what 4 wins and now lost JJ and have their QB disgruntled. Trade him and load up and they could have a very quick turnaround with some stability. I wouldn’t be against 3 1sts, CMC, and another player if I was a Houston fan. Especially knowing he doesn’t want to be there....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...