• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Patriot fans seem excited that Cams back

mrcompletely11

3 hours ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

I'll ask again, In 2005 Stephen Davis wasn't a good running back yet he had 12 goal line plunge TDs, Yet in 2020 a shell of a former MVP QUARTERBACK also had 12 goal line plunges! It doesn't make him a good QB anymore than it made 05 Davis a good RB.

What exactly are you asking...? I mean I dont give a sh*t whether you guys think Cam can still be a good Qb or not. Who are you randos compared to Bill Belichick? In the end it will be you losers looking foolish when Cam takes that team to the playoffs this year I don't care whether you agree with it or not. Couldn't care less actually lol

• Poo 2

From Albert Breer's latest MMQB...

The Cam Newton news is not worth Patriots fans freaking out over. Contracts will always tell you what a team—and to some degree, the league—thinks of a player. And if you dig into the details on Newton’s deal to return to New England, it’s not hard to read this one. Newton gets $2 million to sign, a $1.5 million base for 2021 that’s fully guaranteed, $1.5 million in per-game roster bonuses, $8.5 million in incentives and a $100,000 workout bonus. And going through the incentives, here’s the rough translation:

• He’ll get $3.6 million if he doesn’t make the team.

• He’ll likely get at least $5.1 million if he does, and stays healthy (they won’t put him on the roster to make him a gameday inactive).

• More realistically, he’ll probably earn either $5.6 million or $6.1 million (based on playing time triggers), if he makes the roster, because I can’t imagine they’ll keep him as a backup.

• If he hits any of the remaining $7.5 million in playoff and awards incentives, then the decision to bring him back will have been a success.

Now, here’s the thing—when the cap was set last week, the Patriots had about $68.2 million to work with. That’ll come down a little with the Trent Brown trade, but the bottom line is that allotting $6 million of that space to give yourself a placeholder at the position (and maybe he’ll be more than that, we’ll see) is a worthy use of that resource. And if he’s really good, it’ll be worth it to dump a few million in incentives into next year’s cap. Fact is, Newton had a horrific situation around him in 2020, with a skill group worse than Alabama’s or Ohio State’s (no exaggeration), had barely played any football in a year and a half going in, was coming off significant shoulder and foot surgeries, and got COVID-19 after a promising start. So I have no issue with the Patriots taking another flier on Cam, so long as they make him compete for the job with another vet and/or a rookie coming in.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

So I have no issue with the Patriots taking another flier on Cam, so long as they make him compete for the job with another vet and/or a rookie coming in.

And that's the key, he was not signed to be a guaranteed starter.  It makes sense for the Patriots because Cam should be, at this point in his career and given his shoulder issues,  a serviceable backup or a veteran leader who can help transition to a new rookie.  Cam seems to have handled his benching last year pretty well and didn't complain to the media which made Bellichick feel better about signing him. 

4 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

What exactly are you asking...? I mean I dont give a sh*t whether you guys think Cam can still be a good Qb or not. Who are you randos compared to Bill Belichick? In the end it will be you losers looking foolish when Cam takes that team to the playoffs this year I don't care whether you agree with it or not. Couldn't care less actually lol

Real mature post.  Why are you on a message board if you don't care to read any different opinions?   

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, NAS said:

Real mature post.  Why are you on a message board if you don't care to read any different opinions?   

Oh I do care. I just don't care about the opinions of people who drool all over their keyboard before hitting the "Submit Reply" button

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin

55 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Oh I do care. I just don't care about the opinions of people who drool all over their keyboard before hitting the "Submit Reply" button

Derp derp slerp. The Patriots just gave a TE with a career high if 458 receiving yards 10x as much guarenteed money as Cam... Kind of sh*ts on your entire argument from earlier in this thread.

14 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

I like Cam, but "good QB" is perhaps relative given the contract...  They're paying him like a backup now... I don't think this contract is a huge endorsement, but it's certainly proof they don't think Cam is completely done. Hopefully that's all he will need.

11 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I like Cam, but "good QB" is perhaps relative given the contract...  They're paying him like a backup now... I don't think this contract is a huge endorsement, but it's certainly proof they don't think Cam is completely done. Hopefully that's all he will need.

It’s smart business. You can make the argument they know more about Cam than any other team including us at this point. They also know based on last season a lot of teams won’t come calling. Their free agency lets you know they believe they had other issues outside of QB. Sign Cam back cheap because that’s what his market is and improve around him + draft a young QB of the future. Cam will probably take them to the playoffs this season. Were a few red zone trips away from the playoffs last year. 

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

You still gonna be a big Belichick fan if he replaces Newton?

(his contract makes that very easy to do)

How does his contract this year compare to last year? Looks like the same deal to me (Cam started 15 games last year in case you forgot) except more money than last year. Bill is essentially giving him a mulligan for last year because he understands his starting Qb didn't have an offseason and hardly any help at the skill positions last year. He's giving Cam a legitimate opportunity this time around what is so hard to understand about that? You really think Cam signed to NE to be the backup QB? L-O-L.

• Poo 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

How does his contract this year compare to last year? Looks like the same deal to me (Cam started 15 games last year in case you forgot) except more money than last year. Bill is essentially giving him a mulligan for last year because he understands his starting Qb didn't have an offseason and hardly any help at the skill positions last year. He's giving Cam a legitimate opportunity this time around what is so hard to understand about that? You really think Cam signed to NE to be the backup QB? L-O-L.

Again, if Belichick gives the starting job to someone else, will you still be praising him?