• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who’s EXCITED!? Free agency starts today unofficially!!

WarPanthers89

Technically, free agency begins at 4:00 p.m. ET on Wednesday. As a practical matter, it starts today at noon ET.

That’s when the so-called legal tampering process commences. It started several years ago as a vehicle for exchanging offers without striking deals. Common sense quickly prevailed, and the league allowed teams to negotiate with impending free agents and to strike tentative deals.

So what now happens is that tentative deals get quickly reached and leaked after noon ET on Monday, primarily since much of the negotiation has happened during the illegal tampering window. Everyone does it, and the league rarely does anything about it.

As the deals begin to get reported on Monday and into Tuesday, by Wednesday most of the work already will be done. Last year, for example, 82 of the top 85 PFT free agents had deals in place, or were franchise-tagged, before free agency actually opened.

There’s one key caveat to the unofficial free agency period. Either the team or the player can back out before finalizing the deal after Wednesday at 4:00 p.m. ET. It happens rarely, but it’s not unprecedented; Frank Gore once backed out of a deal with the Eagles to sign with the Colts, for example.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/14/free-agency-starts-tomorrow-unofficially/

Hustling Dave Chappelle GIF

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 7
  • The D 1

18 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I don’t expect any big splash but I will be curious to see who does dive into the deep end of the pool. Cap space is extremely low this year compared to the past. We have the 11th most even after the Moton Tag.

A Moton extension would give me the warm and fuzzies drop that cap hit. Would love to be able to buy the man some help along the line 

• Flames 2

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Don't expect the team to be big players in FA.  They have all their eggs in the Watson basket at the moment.  If they had landed Stafford then maybe, maybe they would. 

I just want us to sign a few solid, young players to shore up the OL, DL, and maybe a CB and I'll be happy. If that CB is Shaq Griffin, I won't complain, as long as his contract is reasonable.

Just now, Pup McBarky said:

I just want us to sign a few solid, young players to shore up the OL, DL, and maybe a CB and I'll be happy. If that CB is Shaq Griffin, I won't complain, as long as his contract is reasonable.

Don't hold your breath.  If anyone is signed I expect a lot of fans saying... who is that guy?

• Beer 1

As much as I want a Hunter Henry or Jonnu Smith, it won’t matter how open they get if our QB can’t or won’t throw them the ball in the end zone. 

Ideally we get a mid tier corner and inside linebacker to really shore up our defense.