• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"I'll be shocked if it's not Mac Jones to 49ers."

I keep seeing this line of "draft a QB and they can learn under x"...

That's a toxic dynamic waiting to happen. Favre-Rodgers, Montana-Young, Brady-Garoppolo...this is not ideal. We just saw that this season with Rodgers-Love.

Goff can still play--and is expensive. Ryan can still play--and is expensive, and will likely play many more years like Brady, Brees, Ben, etc. DET and ATL drafting QBs is a disaster waiting to happen.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Maybe I a reading it wrong but Goff has a dead cap hit of 30 mil for 2022

If you cut him and designate him as a post June 1 cut, his dead cap is halved and charged over the current season, and the next.

He would still count for the 30M, but it would be 15M in 22 and 15M in 23...effectively "saving" them 15M on the 22 cap.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, BrisbanePanther said:

That's a toxic dynamic waiting to happen. Favre-Rodgers, Montana-Young, Brady-Garoppolo...this is not ideal. We just saw that this season with Rodgers-Love.

Goff can still play--and is expensive. Ryan can still play--and is expensive, and will likely play many more years like Brady, Brees, Ben, etc. DET and ATL drafting QBs is a disaster waiting to happen.

Yeah, I'm sure the Niners and Packers deeply regret setting themselves up to have back to back elite franchise QBs.

• Pie 2

19 hours ago, Basbear said:

That means one form Sewell, Lance, or fields will be at 8th. 

Source - Maths..

@Verge I don't have a good match for Detroit Lions, what's your guess? 1-6 seems sort of set, minor issues, but mainly set. My guess is WR, mainly cause I know Miami wants a WR and they move ahead of them. Sewell seems to be falling too, I'm losing my mind.... 

If I'm Detroit, I'm waiting till draft day and if there is a QB still available then I'm on the phone with Carolina, Denver, Chicago, Washington asking who wants to make sure they get this guy? Detroit is in full rebuild so the more picks they can get is better than any one player they can get in my opinion.

4 hours ago, thefuzz said:

Follow the money.

If a big armed, athletic, but raw QB were to fall to them, they have Goff as the starter for this year.  Rookie gets to learn under Goff, not be rushed to the field, and next season DET can keep or cut Goff depending on how he plays.  He costs them the same if he's on the roster or not after this season.

They could absolutely be in the game for a "project", and it would be damn smart to be honest.  They aren't winning that division for a couple years either way, may as well plan for the future and build it correctly.

Thats one school of thought I suppose.  Another is like I said - sticking with Goff and drafting Sewell/Slater or Smith/Waddle/Chase/Pitts.  

2 minutes ago, joemac said:

Thats one school of thought I suppose.  Another is like I said - sticking with Goff and drafting Sewell/Slater or Smith/Waddle/Chase/Pitts.  

There is a reason that the Rams traded Goff...he's good, not great.

If they want to keep their jobs for longer than the previous staff there, they may want to look at getting cheaper at the QB position, and getting better long term.  If Fields is there, I'll be a little shocked if they don't pull the trigger, or trade back a couple spots.

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I'm sure the Niners and Packers deeply regret setting themselves up to have back to back elite franchise QBs.

However, The 49ers didn't draft Young. He was brought in to be the back up and just ended up being good n Walsh's system. Before that he was considered a bust. The Montana-Young part shouldn't have been included in the original statement as it was a different thing.  

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

There is a reason that the Rams traded Goff...he's good, not great.

If they want to keep their jobs for longer than the previous staff there, they may want to look at getting cheaper at the QB position, and getting better long term.  If Fields is there, I'll be a little shocked if they don't pull the trigger, or trade back a couple spots.

Yeah, im with you on that point.  But that 30 million of dead money (whether its 15/15 post June 1, or 30 in one lump) is a big deal.  I guess we dont have long to find out!  I would imagine if any of the top QBs are on the board still when their pick comes up, they will be getting calls from a lot of teams to trade.

2 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

However, The 49ers didn't draft Young. He was brought in to be the back up and just ended up being good n Walsh's system. Before that he was considered a bust. The Montana-Young part shouldn't have been included in the original statement as it was a different thing.  

Right - he was a Creamsickle Tampa Bay Buc originally.

• Beer 2

26 minutes ago, BrisbanePanther said:

It may be toxic but you have to look at the reality around you. After 2 years Ryan is likely going to be a cap casualty. Father time is not on his side. You have the opportunity to get your franchise guy. You take it. Ryan isn't stupid. He knows he can't play forever and he will understand a business decision. It doesn't mean he'll like it, but these guys know they can get cut at any point. That's why they go for so much guaranteed money. It's the only guarantee they truly have. How long can you realistically expect Ryan to continue before noticeable decline? Are you willing to put your GM future at risk for him?

Also, these are new coaches. They don't have any predetermined loyalties to Goff or Ryan. They may not be their guys. It's much easier to recover from a single bad 1st round pick. And there is no other position that is as important as QB. Teams are recognizing more and more the value of a rookie QB on a rookie deal. There's a lot that can be done with your salary cap when you have a young QB on his rookie deal years 3-5. That's likely 30-40m a year, depending on how QB salaries continue to rise, to go out and get play makers. You can get some key filler guys with that kind of scratch. 

I'm not saying Atlanta or Detroit will draft a QB, but I don't think it's completely out of the question because Ryan and Goff have big money deals. There's a lot of things at play in this decision. If I were the coach or GM I would definitely be considering it, Detroit especially. Goff isn't my ride or die QB choice if it came to job security. Same with Atlanta. Or as GM do you use a single pick at the most important position in football to possibly solidify your franchise for the next 10 years? 

My personal thought. I'm using a single pick and taking a QB (if they are my guy) and taking care of my franchise and my job. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

It may be toxic but you have to look at the reality around you. After 2 years Ryan is likely going to be a cap casualty. Father time is not on his side. You have the opportunity to get your franchise guy. You take it. Ryan isn't stupid. He knows he can't play forever and he will understand a business decision. It doesn't mean he'll like it, but these guys know they can get cut at any point. That's why they go for so much guaranteed money. It's the only guarantee they truly have. How long can you realistically expect Ryan to continue before noticeable decline? Are you willing to put your GM future at risk for him?

Also, these are new coaches. They don't have any predetermined loyalties to Goff or Ryan. They may not be their guys. It's much easier to recover from a single bad 1st round pick. And there is no other position that is as important as QB. Teams are recognizing more and more the value of a rookie QB on a rookie deal. There's a lot that can be done with your salary cap when you have a young QB on his rookie deal years 3-5. That's likely 30-40m a year, depending on how QB salaries continue to rise, to go out and get play makers. You can get some key filler guys with that kind of scratch. 

I'm not saying Atlanta or Detroit will draft a QB, but I don't think it's completely out of the question because Ryan and Goff have big money deals. There's a lot of things at play in this decision. If I were the coach or GM I would definitely be considering it, Detroit especially. Goff isn't my ride or die QB choice if it came to job security. Same with Atlanta. Or as GM do you use a single pick at the most important position in football to possibly solidify your franchise for the next 10 years? 

My personal thought. I'm using a single pick and taking a QB (if they are my guy) and taking care of my franchise and my job. 

Word is they love Lance though. If the Niners take Jones leaving Fields and Lance both available, I think they go Lance knowing he'll have a year and if needed two to sit and develop behind Ryan. Sure, Ryan won't be pleased but this is how it goes in the NFL when you're in your late 30s. The team has to start preparing for their future. And maybe it creates a Rodgers type situation where looking over his shoulder spurs another MVP caliber season.

29 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Word is they love Lance though. If the Niners take Jones leaving Fields and Lance both available, I think they go Lance knowing he'll have a year and if needed two to sit and develop behind Ryan. Sure, Ryan won't be pleased but this is how it goes in the NFL when you're in your late 30s. The team has to start preparing for their future. And maybe it creates a Rodgers type situation where looking over his shoulder spurs another MVP caliber season.

If they like Lance better, then the better for us. We make the move to 5 and take Fields. While Gettleman was an egotistical asshole, the one thing I did like about him was his personnel decisions were for the most part emotionless and what he believed was the best course for the franchise. I see the new guys for Atl and Det doing the same.