• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Davos' Offseason, Mock-8 & Projections

davos

1 hour ago, davos said:

I just think Darnold is downright bad.  Sure, the NYJ weren't putting him in an ideal spot but you should still expect him to do more and flash a bit.  He's looked bad.  Like Nate Sudfeld bad.

2019 Almost 62% completion with a 19 - 13 TD to Int.   All he had was Anderson.  He'd come in already familiar with Anderson which would help him immensely.  Plus you have CMC and DJ.  I am sure he would out play any year he had in NYJ. 

11 hours ago, davos said:

For me, I see a starter in Minshew and a backup in Teddy.  The J1 cut will still net savings and taking on a late-rookie contract for like a 5th+6th would offset.  I just think we're done with TB.  Once we officially can't move him, he's a cut and signed as a backup somewhere.

Yeah I think it’s weird we saved a post June 1st cut, isn’t that when we save more and not lose as much?

1 hour ago, CanadianCat said:

I think that if we draft a QB you start them day 1.. worst case you let them sit till week 4. They need actual game reps and the rookie contracts makes it far to advantageous to get them on the field early rather than waiting. 

If we end up with Lance, I think they’d have him sit the entire year. He’s that raw still

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

What draft capital can they get? A 4th round pick at best. They have Minshew on a super cheap deal why not keep him? Is he a locker room cancer or something.

Well, a 4th is better than nothing. I think they'd be giving him an opportunity to move on, and they could move on as well without distraction. I'm speculating, and trying to see things from his perspective, so take this with a grain of salt: At this point, Minshew isn't an aging vet resolved with his fate as a backup. He still has his prime to look forward to. I could be wrong, but I don't think he's necessarily going to hand Lawrence the keys with a smile so to speak. He transferred from ECU to Washington State because he had a good shot to actually play, so he's not necessarily of the mindset to just hold a clipboard until he's gotten his fair shake. 

Sure, ultimately the Jags could hold him there, but that would be pretty low IMO, and may cause a little bit of frustration on his part, which could mushroom into something else.

1 hour ago, BurnNChinn said:

Yeah I think it’s weird we saved a post June 1st cut, isn’t that when we save more and not lose as much?

Pre-J1 Teddy is $20 mil dead cap w/~3 mil in cap savings

Post-J1 Teddy is $15 mil dead cap w/ ~8 mil in cap savings

If we dump him, it would ideally be for the reason that we got min 1 QB we're comfortable with starting and can use that money elsewhere/or hold it.  So, I totally get why people are saying we might as well keep him but for me, I'd just rather have potentially 2 rookie contracts and potential value.  Or heck, just get a rookie, have Walker/Stevens as the backup.  If the rookie is a bust, we'll sure as hell get a top pick in 2022. Keeping Teddy only hurts our chances at QB IMO.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

The Minshew love on this board is also blowing my mind, do ya'll not remember us beating JAX in 2019. Minshew was not, and is not impressive, I had a similar run to what Kyle Allen did that year and quickly fizzled out, and has now landed JAX the #1 pick and you guys want to trade away draft capitol to get him when we LITERALLY have a bridge QB already on the roster with a similar skill set to Minshew. 

I just do not get it with this infatuation for JAG. He will be cut before a team trades for him outside of a conditional 6th / 7th. And most teams are smart enough to know he's on the way out, so it's better to wait to sign him as a FA ''if'' a team has interest. 

Not really saying I love him, but if we want to be a potential contender and have a QB to groom (I'm unsure if Lance is a D1 starter), then I'd prefer him over TB.  They may be similar but he's on a rookie contract.  And if he looks good, then we've got a potential stud rookie & very solid 24 y/o with immense value.  I'm looking at this like the Brees/Rivers situation back in the day.

Just now, Moo Daeng said:

I don't understand trading for Minshew. 

With Teddy, we've got a known asset that we can cut the bait with/or trade (latter doesn't seem likely)

And if he's not in our future plans, why trot him out again even as a bridge where it in effect just stagnates us? He's not gaining value at this point in his career and he's not taking this team anywhere.

Also, I don't see Lance starting day 1, so what are the options?  Another possibility is Jimmy G on the cheap if they/once SF releases him after he doesn't get any trade bites.  My philosophy is you have to keep seeing what's out there.  Why not take a gamble on 2? Worst case is both suck.  Best case is that you've got a great rookie and a great 24 yo on a rookie deal. 

Bottom line is that Minshew has the potential to build up his value and we may be able to get him for like a 5th+6th combo or something.  Then maybe in a year or two he nets us a 2nd and a rookie/groomed guy like Lance takes the reigns. 

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Well, a 4th is better than nothing. I think they'd be giving him an opportunity to move on, and they could move on as well without distraction. I'm speculating, and trying to see things from his perspective, so take this with a grain of salt: At this point, Minshew isn't an aging vet resolved with his fate as a backup. He still has his prime to look forward to. I could be wrong, but I don't think he's necessarily going to hand Lawrence the keys with a smile so to speak. He transferred from ECU to Washington State because he had a good shot to actually play, so he's not necessarily of the mindset to just hold a clipboard until he's gotten his fair shake. 

Sure, ultimately the Jags could hold him there, but that would be pretty low IMO, and may cause a little bit of frustration on his part, which could mushroom into something else.

Maybe they value Minshew more than a 4th. He’s an udfa he knew the deal when they drafted him. He was never gonna be the future or face of the franchise.  I haven’t heard anything from the jags brass sugesting they are trading him

2 hours ago, davos said:

Not really saying I love him, but if we want to be a potential contender and have a QB to groom (I'm unsure if Lance is a D1 starter), then I'd prefer him over TB.  They may be similar but he's on a rookie contract.  And if he looks good, then we've got a potential stud rookie & very solid 24 y/o with immense value.  I'm looking at this like the Brees/Rivers situation back in the day.

SanDiego didn't trade for a QB though, so you don't make any sense. They simply drafted the replacement. Brees was coming off of a shoulder surgery as well when he was released.

In your scenario you're adding a 3rd QB, and looking to eat dead cap to cut TB and sacrificing a draft pick to get Minshew. Makes 0 sense.

1 hour ago, SetfreexX said:

SanDiego didn't trade for a QB though, so you don't make any sense. They simply drafted the replacement. Brees was coming off of a shoulder surgery as well when he was released.

In your scenario you're adding a 3rd QB, and looking to eat dead cap to cut TB and sacrificing a draft pick to get Minshew. Makes 0 sense.

Well of course it's not a direct correlation, just comparing having two starter caliber QBs, one being a fresh draft pick.  For some reason thought it was a trade but I was mistaken. 

But yes to the bold.  Though disagree it makes zero cents--I'll direct that to my points in the thread. 

If you don't believe so, then well, agree to disagree.