• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Darnold plays poorly next year, we traded what will be a 1st round pick for him.

bobowilson

A late first round pick, but a 1st rounder nonetheless.  

If Darnold is anything like he has been the past few years for the Jets, we'll be a bottom 7 team picking at the top of the 2nd round.

If you add up the other picks we gave up with a high 2nd rounder, it has the same 'draft value' as a late 1st round pick.

So Darnold may end up costing us a late 1st rounder, and a tremendous cap hit in his 5th year.  That is quite the gamble for a quarterback who has played at his level, regardless of his coaching.

• Pie 3
  • Poo 48

3 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

A late first round pick, but a 1st rounder nonetheless.  

If Darnold is anything like he has been the past few years for the Jets, we'll be a bottom 7 team picking at the top of the 2nd round.

If you add up the other picks we gave up with a high 2nd rounder, it has the same 'draft value' as a late 1st round pick.

So Darnold may end up costing us a late 1st rounder, and a tremendous cap hit in his 5th year.  That is quite the gamble for a quarterback who has played at his level, regardless of his coaching.

You really want to be pissed off don't you? You should blame Rivera for letting his team lose to us like so many others.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

You really want to be pissed off don't you? You should blame Rivera for letting his team lose to us like so many others.

I'm just seeing too many people waive this off as a worthless 'midround pick'.

No, it's in fact a very very valuable 2nd rounder which could easily be the top pick of the round [essentially a late 1st].  We will be a terrible team if we get the Jets Darnold.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 8

1 minute ago, bobowilson said:

We will be a terrible team if we get the Jets Darnold.

I think that's kind of a good thing.  I don't see Darnold being mediocre.  We're going to know if he can be the guy or not by the end of the season.  If he's trash, we'll probably be picking in the top 3 instead of 8, and we can select a top QB prospect.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I think that's kind of a good thing.  I don't see Darnold being mediocre.  We're going to know if he can be the guy or not by the end of the season.  If he's trash, we'll probably be picking in the top 3 instead of 8, and we can select a top QB prospect.

Why give up 1st round draft value for him when he's been a bust and had little interest from other teams.

Rookie GM.

• Poo 6

Just now, bobowilson said:

Why give up 1st round draft value for him when he's been a bust and had little interest from other teams.

Rookie GM.

How does 2nd rounder 1 year out = 1st round pick?  I get the point that if we are the worst team, it will be the 33rd overall pick.  But, there is a time value associated with these picks you know.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

7-9, I mean, 8-9 incoming 

Teddy was mediocre, but a competent game manager with good skill players.  Darnold has bee a complete dumpster fire, and you don't win more than 4 games with him unless he improves tremendously.

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

How does 2nd rounder 1 year out = 1st round pick?  I get the point that if we are the worst team, it will be the 33rd overall pick.  But, there is a time value associated with these picks you know.

You could package the 33rd-35th pick in the draft with a 4th and 6th rounder to move into the late 1st.

• Poo 1

Name an available QB who is guaranteed to have a strong 2021?  (there is not one, but I will let you throw out a name anyway)

How much would he cost?

How much would we lose if he busts?

What are you going to say if he becomes successful in Carolina?

• Pie 4