• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peter King: Panthers want to come out of this draft with more picks than the seven it currently holds

TheSpecialJuan

1 hour ago, frankw said:

Cap space is always a big deal for a team at the bottom of their division. And make no mistake about it that is exactly where we are and have been the last couple of years. Teddy not only didn't change that we were arguably worse off because we sunk over 100 million dollars in only three players last year and didn't move an inch toward improving our record in the nfc south. That is just awful.

You also don't get it. None of the contracts that were signed last off-season were long-term commitments. The NFL literally requires teams to spend the money somewhere.  Carolina was still in one of the most advantageous cap situations in the league going into this off-season. I don't know what else you can seriously ask for. 

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

I wasn’t wrong at all. I was 100% correct with my plan. I don’t feel like responding to your “lots of words” that are so wrong. I’ll just throw a couple things out:

You actually think giving Fitz a $5.5M per year contract is even remotely close to us giving Teddy $21M per year? LOL, trying to make the contract look big by calling it an 8 figure deal. Allen got $3M a year for two years. Why don’t you look at their 2020 FAs and how much they spent after freeing up all the cap space in 2018 and 2019. Rowe and Parker were extensions at the end of 2019. Don’t know how that applies in any way.

Oh, Jaguars signing Mike Glennon proves they weren’t tanking after trading Jalen Ramsey. You got me they weren’t tanking LOL. Do you even believe what you are saying?

Last note about your post. I love how people act like they know the cap and that teams have to spend to a floor. They don’t have to every year. The floor is over a four year period, that’s how teams can build up huge sums of cap space and then splurge. Take a look at this article with all the ridiculous cap space teams had going into 2018. With the four year floor of 89% and with us almost spending to the limit in all the seasons before, we easily could have carried over $70M plus. If there was anything we had to use just extend Moton with a huge signing bonus. So, in conclusion, you are completely wrong that we had to sign FAs. In fact last year was the perfect opportunity to build up our war chest for when our QB wasn’t mediocre.

Why sign a 35 year old QB in the first place if you're "tanking?" Nothing the Panthers did in 2019 would prevent them from signing a player in 2021. Not a single thing. Not that splurging in FA is a good way to build a team anyways.

Well, sure, you can pick one guy out of the list, but conveniently you ignored the rest. Giving Joe Schobert $50M sure was a great strategy for "tanking," right? And you act like signing, Weatherly, Roberts, etc. significantly improved Carolina while signing Mike Glennon is a joke. They filled the roster out with veterans. It didn't hurt the team short or long term. Get real, you're just wrong.

Not exactly. Your cash expenditures in that time have to equal 89%, not your cap hit. For example, Teddy's entire signing bonus for those purposes would count towards 2020, not as prorated through 2022. It just goes to show that people like you with the Madden mindset really don't account for, or even understand, this sort of thing. 

7 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

In Fitts' original presser he said once you clear the top half of the first round or so a lot of the prospects have less that separate them. 

If I'm basing a hypothesis off that logic it would make more sense to stay at 8 and make the pick, then use the 2nd and 3rd rounders as ammunition to cultivate additional picks for the rest of the draft. 

I would also not be surprised though unlikely to see us trade up. 

Proud Of You Yes GIF

Somebody gets it.

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

In Fitts' original presser he said once you clear the top half of the first round or so a lot of the prospects have less that separate them. 

If I'm basing a hypothesis off that logic it would make more sense to stay at 8 and make the pick, then use the 2nd and 3rd rounders as ammunition to cultivate additional picks for the rest of the draft. 

I would also not be surprised though unlikely to see us trade up. 

This makes sense 

48 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

We currently still have many needs:

LT, iOL depth, slot WR, starting caliber TE, backup RB

iDL depth, LB depth, FS, CB depth

its clear that with our 7 picks we will not be able to address our roster (ass)holes

I think we are rolling with Arnold and Thomas at TE. The depth might have to be some FAs and undrafted rookies. LT is a must and this draft is loaded with them. Slot WR is getting overlooked by us I think. I would not be surprised if we draft one of the WRs like Smith in the first and a LT in the second due to the depth in this draft.

17 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I think we are rolling with Arnold and Thomas at TE. The depth might have to be some FAs and undrafted rookies. LT is a must and this draft is loaded with them. Slot WR is getting overlooked by us I think. I would not be surprised if we draft one of the WRs like Smith in the first and a LT in the second due to the depth in this draft.

Exactly