• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer also has us taking Fields, believes Tepper is pushing for it.

GoobyPls

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Jets wanted to do all of their draft prospect evaluations before deciding whether to trade Darnold or not. We patiently gave them time to do it while also exploring other options and deciding that none of them were worth it. Then ended up actually finalizing the terms of the trade at Justin Fields pro day.

How you take that as proof that they weren't really that interested in him is beyond me. There's no logic to that at all.

But would we have traded with the Dolphins to 3 if the price would have been to our liking?

That makes me think there are 3 QBs we like.

Would we have preferred trading to up to 3 over Darnold?  Which happened first?

What if the player we were willing to trade up for falls to 8? Do they consider him then? 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Jets wanted to do all of their draft prospect evaluations before deciding whether to trade Darnold or not. We patiently gave them time to do it while also exploring other options and deciding that none of them were worth it. Then ended up actually finalizing the terms of the trade at Justin Fields pro day.

How you take that as proof that they weren't really that interested in him is beyond me. There's no logic to that at all.

If we'd offered #8 overall at that point they would've agreed immediately right after they picked their jaw up off the floor.

5 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

It’ll be interesting. 

They won’t jump the gun and take Horn without listening to offers. I’m confident in that.

What is the floor pick wise you’d want in return to fall back from 8 to 15?

I wouldn't do it unless their 1st next year was part of the deal.

4 minutes ago, Tbe said:

It doesn’t matter if it was realistic, a vet QB was their first choice if available.

Also, it is now being reported that the Texans were planning to deal Watson this week and had lined up 8 teams for a bidding war.

Of course, that plan fell through weeks ago.

I'm not convinced the "Watson at any price" thing was ever really true, especially not after Fitterer balking at what the Dolphins wanted for number three.

I don't doubt that we were interested. I do question whether we'd have given up as much as people think.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we'd offered #8 overall at that point they would've agreed immediately right after they picked their jaw up off the floor.

How do you square that with the report that they were offered a first rounder by somebody else and turned it down?

3 hours ago, BurnNChinn said:

I just can’t believe it why do u give all those picks for someone if ur just going to draft one. I really hope it’s a smokescreen. I mean if we didn’t trade for Darnold I would be all for it but now I think that would be crazy with all the value with all these other guys especially LT

I get this, but lets say we have a competition and Darnold plays 8 games and give the reins to Fields.  Darnold has trade value, and might get a second rounder and a fourth rounder in 2022.  So we lose a 6th--a comp pick.

I think we do not go Qb and we draft T or CB, WR in second

4 minutes ago, Tbe said:

It doesn’t matter if it was realistic, a vet QB was their first choice if available.

Also, it is now being reported that the Texans were planning to deal Watson this week and had lined up 8 teams for a bidding war.

Of course, that plan fell through weeks ago.

Going vet QB with a young and rebuilding team is a way to try and cut the rebuild short. That's the sort of thing Jordan used to do with the Bobcats/Hornets when he would get impatient. Trying to compete when the team isn't ready is never a good thing and leads to longer or more rebuilds and losing. Trading for Stafford wouldn't give me hope. Signing Teddy didn't give me hope. Trading for Watson and having to give up the biggest deal in NFL history wouldn't give me hope either. We've seen what happens when you have a franchise QB and not much else. It isn't pretty.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Whether he will or won't influence the decision, don't know.

What I do know is that he shouldn't, and if he's smart, he won't.

I'm not gonna change my opinion on owner interference depending on whether he agrees with me or not. It's bad either way.

Let the football people do their jobs.

As you state, this is simply your opinion.

I believe Tepper should be right down there in the weeds with Fitterer and Rhule and know he is...which I also know is painful for you.

Tepper is the smartest guy in the room...declining to put his massive intellect to work on behalf of the team would be foolish...and Mr. David A. Tepper ain't no fool!

#The AppaloosaWay

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Who offered that and why wasn't it still on the table later? 

May be wrong but I thought I saw somewhere it was the Niners before they traded up. Even if I do remember correctly in seeing that reported somewhere, I HIGHLY doubt the report, at least in the sense that it was just Darnold for their 1st rounder straight up.