• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer also has us taking Fields, believes Tepper is pushing for it.

GoobyPls

3 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Even if Darnold is bad, the Panthers are still probably picking in the teens instead of the top 10 meaning it will be all the more expensive to move up for a QB.

What is the basis for this assumption? I have seen it several times. Carolina picked 8th with an able but not very good game manager of a QB. If Darnold is genuinely bad, what are the chances Carolina is picking outside of the top 10-12? 

6 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

What is the basis for this assumption? I have seen it several times. Carolina picked 8th with an able but not very good game manager of a QB. If Darnold is genuinely bad, what are the chances Carolina is picking outside of the top 10-12? 

well, Darnold won 7 games the last time the Jets actually tried.  So I don't think he is going to come in and implode us. 

our D should continue to improve IMO.  We should get a healthy CMC this year.  So I think even if Darnold is meh.....we should hover around 8-8. 

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

If you pass on one you believe is the guy at 8 and gave a decent roster, it’s going to cost a lot more than one first to get your guy next year.

If you believe he's the guy, you don't pass on him. If you don't, then you do.

Of course if you're wrong, and in doing so you bypassed someone who could have been "the guy" at another position, you've screwed up big time.

• Pie 2

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Of course if you're wrong, and in doing so you bypassed someone who could have been "the guy" at another position, you've screwed up big time.

Agreed. Some positions are worth this risk and QB could be one of them. Hell the Niners are dropping 3 first round picks on a guy they believe is the answer. 

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, Darnold won 7 games the last time the Jets actually tried.  So I don't think he is going to come in and implode us. 

our D should continue to improve IMO.  We should get a healthy CMC this year.  So I think even if Darnold is meh.....we should hover around 8-8. 

There's a difference between meh and bad. 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Agreed. Some positions are worth this risk and QB could be one of them. Hell the Niners are dropping 3 first round picks on a guy they believe is the answer. 

I'm a little more pragmatic on the topic of team building.

If you get it wrong, you get it wrong. Good intentions don't mean sh-t.

Lord knows Marty Hurney had plenty of good intentions. Doesn't make me feel any better about the fact that he sucked.

5 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Hurts isn't the answer in Philly...let's not kid ourselves. 

Not only that, his Packers example is even worse. Taking Love was an enormous blunder. You think someone like Tee Higgins or Jeff Gladney could have made an impact for them at 30 while Love was standing their on the sidelines watching them lose to Tampa with a trip to the SB on the line instead? I sure do. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm a little more pragmatic on the topic of team building.

If you get it wrong, you get it wrong. Good intentions don't mean sh-t.

Lord knows Marty Hurney had plenty of good intentions. Doesn't make me feel any better about the fact that he sucked.

If you get it wrong you are set back like any first round pick. Sewell could end up like Matt Kalil, there is always a risk. However, if you don’t have a QB your team wont be doing too much anyway. You got to have one to stay relevant in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

How many of you competition breeds competitiveness guys wanted the Panthers to draft first round QBs when Cam was here? That's just a line you guys are saying as an excuse to want a first round QB this year

Probably because at that time the other option was Jimmy pickles. It's no execuse. The circumstances are different. We're bringing in a guy with potential, but no proven track record. To be honest, we should have considered drafting a QB as soon as Cams shoulder was destroyed as a contingency. We could've done so with plenty of guys. But our FO decided to wait or draft a LATE round flyer. 

Tom Brady and Drew Bledsoe

Aaron Rodgers and Brett Fabre

Steve Young and Joe Montana.

I could list examples all day with teams taking this approach. And they've been far more successful than the Teams that took the Trent Dilter route. And let's keep in mind all the guys you point too are from a different era when defenses weren't hamstrung by the rule book. Shoring up the QB position in this day and age of the NFL is by far the single most important piece off the franchise. To remain perennial contenders anyway. Sure we could draft a tackle and I'd be ecstatic, but then the Darnold could darnold and we're back at square one.

But go ahead. Go off.

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

If you get it wrong you are set back like any first round pick. Sewell could end up like Matt Kalil, there is always a risk. However, if you don’t have a QB your team wont be doing too much anyway. You got to have one to stay relevant in the playoffs.

And we might.

Drafting another one assumes we don't.

And again, we don't know that.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you bypass on the QB and he turns out good you screwed up big time even if you are correct on the other position if you are current guy doesn't become the guy.

There is no perfect answer here because we don't know who is going go be right.  What if the LT doesn't work out, and you passed on a QB that does, that is even a bigger screw up.

At the end of the day all you are doing is playing the  odds.  

Are you willing to take a chance with a 30% QB to take a 90% LT or would you prefer to take a 60% QB to compete with your 30% QB, and yes I made all of those percentages up, but really that is all the teams are doing.  The payout for being right about a QB is exponentially higher than that of any other position.  

Evaluating players is nothing but trying to figure their chances of success.

There is a very good chance the team might be willing to take OT1 over QB3, but maybe they would take QB3 over OT2.