• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coverage Scheme Switcharoo

Floppin

yep. looking for some really aggressive man coverage going on. i'm sure there will be flags, but they won't be able to get a flag thrown every time we get handsy. 

they will play some zone, i'm sure, but it's pretty clear they want to be as aggressive as possible and they need to be considering who we've got to face.

keith taylor wasn't just throwing poo at the wall. he's not just camp fodder. he's the type of player that we are obviously trying to move towards in the type of defense we're adopting.

• Pie 2

If you look at our recent history (say about 10 years), our coverage has almost always been a soft, bend-but-don't-break zone.  This past year it was almost certainly because it was the only thing our talent in the secondary could do. 

In our 2015 run our defense was not only often stifling, but also good at creating turnovers and often producing points off those turnovers while the offense was on the sidelines.  This was largely because Norman was in the face of the opponent's best receiver.  That allowed the safeties to cheat toward the other matchups, which made the soft zone much less soft.

I don't know if any of our DBs is Norman in 2015 (but not subsequently), but Horn is certainly closer to Norman in 2015 than anyone since.  I don't know anything about Taylor, but from what I read, it is worth the shot especially in round 5.

If they can help the defense get off the field after a 3rd and 16, it is an improvement.  Who knows, maybe we can even get off the field after a 3rd and 6!

• Pie 1

Yea remember those of us that kept talking about how we didn't have the talent to do poo else on defense AAAANNNNDDDD the usual suspects(that are still going on crying now lol) talked about how Snow sucked....can't make this poo up

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Bree’s though he’s no longer there and Tom Brady are notorious and have made their career over the quick passes. 
the Seattle style man coverage always gave them nightmares.

thing is.  Seattle didn’t have a pas rush like we’re building too

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Yea remember those of us that kept talking about how we didn't have the talent to do poo else on defense AAAANNNNDDDD the usual suspects(that are still going on crying now lol) talked about how Snow sucked....can't make this poo up

It's frustrating because I felt like it was fairly obvious why we were playing the way we were. Like they would have a couple positive plays and even most of one game (against a garbage team and offense) playing aggressive with the blitz and isolation outside but by a VAST margin when we did it became glaringly obvious why we didn't more often.

• Pie 2

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I said it at the beginning of the week. What we saw last season wasn't Phil Snow's defense. It was just the defense that Phil Snow was running given what he had to work with in the secondary.

Yeah, I'm not going to dig through a million old threads to find it but I said the same thing a few times. The defense that he was running wasn't really the type of defense that he had run, at least consistently, anywhere. It was obvious he was adjusting schematically because of our personnel deficiencies, which honestly speaks highly of his coaching ability.