• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Current Kicking Situation

2 minutes ago, BlazeCarolina said:

I've always been a fan of Joey.  If they keep floating that idea of 1 point for kickoffs through the uprights and he becomes even more attractive.

You guys will be excited about that cannon if that rule ever changes.

So, how's that gonna work?

Your guy kicks off, goes thru the uprights for 1 point. Being as they just scored, they have to kick off again, so they just keep going until he misses?

"Joey Slye, lining up for his 5th kickoff with the Panthers now trailing by 3 instead of 7...." 

• Pie 1

Just now, Anybodyhome said:

So, how's that gonna work?

Your guy kicks off, goes thru the uprights for 1 point. Being as they just scored, they have to kick off again, so they just keep going until he misses?

"Joey Slye, lining up for his 5th kickoff with the Panthers now trailing by 3 instead of 7...." 

Haha.  It is a one and done.  Trying to add fun/excitement/value to the kicking position.

You throw the score off by 1 like that with a Joey kick, now all of a sudden the Falcons have to go for a two point conversion to even things up.  Maybe they don't convert.

It just opens up the door for more competition.

Let's hope our new longsnapper makes a difference. Jason Saunders at Miami was 76% in 2019. Miami drafted a longsnapper in the 6th round last year. Saunders was at 93% last year (100% on PAT's), and he contributed the success to his new LS. Saunders said that having quicker, more accurate snaps led to quicker ball placement giving him that extra split second for accuracy. 

Having said that, I was all about drafting Jose Borregales with our last pick, or at least getting him as an UDFA. Kid is so accurate. Perfect on PAT'S in 2020, and 20-22 FG's with his only 2 misses between 40-49 where he was 7-9. Kid was 2-2 at 50+ with a long of 57

Edited by TheProcess

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not just talking about field goals.

When I was young, missed extra points were something you saw about as often as you saw a unicorn.

These days, it feels like I see at least one per week (and not just from us).

Well, I mean XPs went from 19 yards to 32 yards. Still a high percentage kick, but not the total gimme it used to be. It used to be 99% plus. Since the change, it's hovering in the 93-94% range.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Well, I mean XPs went from 19 yards to 32 yards. Still a high percentage kick, but not the total gimme it used to be. It used to be 99% plus. Since the change, it's hovering in the 93-94% range.

The NFL's goal was to make it harder.

They definitely succeeded.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not just talking about field goals.

When I was young, missed extra points were something you saw about as often as you saw a unicorn.

These days, it feels like I see at least one per week (and not just from us).

has anything changed about XP rules since you were young that might explain this?

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The NFL's goal was to make it harder.

They definitely succeeded.

It probably seems worse than it really is for Panthers fans because Skye is one of the worst XP kickers in the league, then again his sample size is among the lowest too since we can't score TDs.

22 minutes ago, BlazeCarolina said:

Haha.  It is a one and done.  Trying to add fun/excitement/value to the kicking position.

You throw the score off by 1 like that with a Joey kick, now all of a sudden the Falcons have to go for a two point conversion to even things up.  Maybe they don't convert.

It just opens up the door for more competition.

It fundamentally changes the rules of the game.

Joey is the new gano. Another big leg kicker that will have every miss cause a huddle meltdown. He is paid to kick off 1st, XP 2nd (same issue as gano here), mid range fg, then bail out staff and O with bomb 50+ FG. 

His #1 issue is make all the XP. 64 out of 71 isn't good (90%, 94% seams the new average league wide). Make all those, like Mr consistent Justin Tucker, and most people shut up about not making 60%+ on the 50Yd+ bombs. Same issues as gano. Now as long as he is cheap, no issues (gano was well paid and had these issues). He was 28 of 30 under 50 last year and overall 45 out of 51 (88%). Yeah not thrilling but enough to keep a spot in the NFL.

He's replaceable for sure, but at his salary level, not the most important part of the team to go spend on an upgrade. Kickers are all crap shoots other than a few in any year/game. 

• Pie 1