• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

D.Watson are we still interested ?

Leotiger

Depends on the asking price, but generally I'd say no. Aside from his legal issues, the cost for such a move would likely be ridiculous, especially not knowing when and if he can play any time soon. 

Plus I dont think the Texans would be willing to trade him to anyone right now because the offers would probably be similar to what we gave the jets. 

16 minutes ago, frankw said:

The steep cost does not line up with his awful judgement as someone who should be meticulous with his decision making as the face of a major sports franchise.

What everyone seems to be overlooking is that the cost shouldn't be nearly as steep. He'll likely be somewhat of a bargain now.

32 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

He may pay to make this all go away legally but there will always be a dark cloud over him for the rest of his career and who knows how much backlash those of the MeToo movement will cause for whatever team that acquires him.

I am not certain that Tepper would want to deal with that type of "publicity" when he's trying to build the franchise up to something respectable.  

THIS. There is winning the short game, and then winning the LONG game. Tepper didn't invest billions bring in a guy like that. Dude would literally be poison! With that kind of attitude to sit out, and also all this other mess hanging over him I cant even understand why anyone here still clings to hope for him to be a Panther

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Seriously doubt it.

Even if he settles what he has now, you're always gonna be wondering whether something else might come to light.

Plus I'm pretty sure we still have people working for the team who were hot on by Jerry Richardson. You bring in a guy accused of similar issues and make him the face of the franchise, what does that say to them?

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3

From all the moves we've made, it's clear we decided we're going to give Darnold a real shot. We gave up a 2022 2nd, passed over Fields and Mac Jones at 8 and picked up Darnold's 5th year option. If they decided after all that to go all in on Watson and his pending legal issues, then I really don't know what this team is doing. 

Honestly, given the choice to pick Fields with a single 1st round pick and pay him $20ish million over 4 years (or around $45 million over 5 years), or give up 3 1st round picks and pay nearly $150 million over the next 5 years for Watson, give me Fields all day. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Seriously doubt it.

Even if he settles what he has now, you're always gonna be wondering whether something else might come to light.

Plus I'm pretty sure we still have people working for the team who were hot on by Jerry Richardson. You bring in a guy accused of similar issues and make him the face of the franchise, what does that say to them?

Not saying you're wrong, but after all this, it seems like if there was something more, it would've come up by now. 

The Jerry Richardson situation and Deshaun Watson situation may seem similar on the surface, but they are different. 

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Not saying you're wrong, but after all this, it seems like if there was something more, it would've come up by now. 

The Jerry Richardson situation and Deshaun Watson situation may seem similar on the surface, but they are different. 

We kept saying that same thing when the number of lawsuits were escalating too. And every time, the announcer kept saying "but wait there's more".

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

8 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

A settlement offer was made day-1.

That was one offer. Now you have boocoo women who have piled on. It's night and day with so many more layers and it's potentially problematic for both sides. 

Plus, it's not like I thought this up personally, I'm just giving you an opinion that I read from several sources (via sources from a legal perspective).

Edited by top dawg

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

We kept saying that same thing when the number of lawsuits were escalating too. And every time, the announcer kept saying "but wait there's more".

Many weeks ago now, Scot. I think the pertinent questions now have shifted to potential problems in the future.

27 minutes ago, top dawg said:

What everyone seems to be overlooking is that the cost shouldn't be nearly as steep. He'll likely be somewhat of a bargain now.

Well we still don't know what the league will do about all this or if this is actually the end of this public turmoil for Watson. From the Panthers perspective they seem set with Darnold so if Watson were to become an option again it would be many months from now.

35 minutes ago, top dawg said:

He’s radioactive and Tepper will not risk the the team’s or his own professional reputation.  Chernobyl can be bought cheap, too.  Is that a bargain?

Edited by bythenbrs
  • Beer 2