• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RB/FB Roster Projections-Who Stays? Who Goes?

Michael G

I think the RB's and what our RB room will look like this season could be a very interesting topic for discussion, even though it doesn't get a lot of coverage. Everybody knows CMAC is the starter and most believe that our #4 pick Chuba Hubbard will be the #2. But following them there are a lot of questions in my mind.

Who will be the third tailback option (Reggie B., Rodney S., T. Cannon, D. Clark (UDFA-workout find)?

What about FB? We lost Armah but signed 2 in the offseason (Mikey D. and UDFA Mason S.) Will the way we use #3 pick TE Tommy Tremble as a blocker lead to the team releasing both FB's?

How many RB's will we keep? If Tremble subs in as a FB, does that save a roster spot or do we keep an extra Tailback?

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 3

My personal thoughts on the RB room are as follows;

We do not keep a FB on the roster but stash one on the practice squad (not sure which one) in case Tremble gets hurt. Tremble serves as FB on the plays that call for one (and might even catch a few passes coming out of the backfield).

We keep 4 RBs and stash another on the practice squad. The 4 we keep are CMAC, Chuba, Rodney S., and Trenton Cannon (I really like Reggie B, he has stepped up and made plays when given the opportunity, but I think Trenton is familiar in the Outside Zone scheme that was mentioned in another thread- also I remember Reggie being cut last year before being brought back and getting injured).

Here is one of Reggie B's big plays after CMAC went out banged up at Jacksonville a couple of years ago:

• Pie 1

I have some concerns about CMC and his coming back from a lost season. 

I am hopeful that we'll see the same explosive player that we saw in his first three years.  But it's always unclear how guys come back from multiple injuries, both physically and mentally.   And now he's got the big contract and I wonder about his focus with all his recent photo ops and social media posts with his Miss Universe girlfriend and such. 

The good thing is that the injury last season wasn't a knee or some other structural problem.   Still I think the Panthers over-use of CMC has contributed to him being so banged up in 2020.  

In that light I hope the team spreads out the rushing to two or even three players to keep Christian fresh this season.   Remember the team has another game to play.  So the Panthers have to let some other players help CMC carry the load.  

Edited by BlitzMonster
  • Pie 5
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Michael G said:

We do not keep a FB on the roster but stash one on the practice squad (not sure which one) in case Tremble gets hurt. Tremble serves as FB

I see this too.  Tremble's position versatility allows the team to save a roster spot.  But in case of an injury to Tremble, the team doesn't want to have to change its gameplan.  So a FB will be kept on the practice squad to serve as an immediate fill-in.  

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

I didn't even consider the 17th game. I always wondered if Rhule and Brady would do better than Ron about taking some of the load off CMAC. Since he was hurt early on last year, I'm not sure they had a specific plan in place, but drafting Chuba makes me think they do. I hope so. 

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

I have some concerns about CMC and his coming back from a lost season. 

I am hopeful that we'll see the same explosive player that we saw in his first three years.  But it's always unclear how guys come back from multiple injuries, both physically and mentally.   And now he's got the big contract and I wonder about his focus with all his recent photo ops and social media posts with his Miss Universe girlfriend and such. 

The good thing is that the injury last season wasn't a knee or some other structural problem.   Still I think the Panthers over-use of CMC has contributed to him being so banged up in 2020.  

In that light I hope the team spreads out the rushing to two or even three players to keep Christian fresh this season.   Remember the team has another game to play.  So the Panthers have to let some other players help CMC carry the load.  

I'd bet my mortgage on McCaffrey playing last year if we were in Plyoff contention.

They were just super cautious with him.

• Pie 8

The RB room is loaded.  The only thing we should look at here is how well they’re going to do.  
CMC will not just cut his touches.  He wants the ball.  I don’t see him being on the sidelines very often.

The object may be to create options with him ON the field rather than options to sub him out?

TT and CH will make Christians life a lot easier.  Even with the same touches, the defense will not be able to focus on CMC with the same attention as before.  More blocking, better QB play (hopefully) a more varied and open playbook, Christian could end up being more productive with less wear on the same touches.

Spread out the Defense, and watch Christian do magic in the open field.

• Pie 2
  • The D 1

7 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

The object may be to create options with him ON the field rather than options to sub him out?

I was thinking about this too--We may him see him and Chuba on the field at the same time--They did that a couple of times when he tried to return last year with him and M. Davis. I these instances Chuba could get the carries because its likely CMAC would flex out as a WR (either as a decay or a receiving option in a Run/Pass option play)

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Michael G said:

I was thinking about this too--We may him see him and Chuba on the field at the same time--They did that a couple of times when he tried to return last year with him and M. Davis. I these instances Chuba could get the carries because its likely CMAC would flex out as a WR (either as a decay or a receiving option in a Run/Pass option play)

Pretty much.  It will put a hell of a decision on the LB's. 

• Pie 1

Cannon seemed more visable last year, but Smith was more productive.  In Cannon's career, he is averaging 3 yard per carry.  Smith was better.  Reggie has a 2-year career here with a 6.6 yards per carry average.  he can throw it (former QB) and is a good fit for the zone scheme--he is also 25. 

I said in my other post, we need the blocking from the TE or backfield (wing) to run the wide zone.  Mason Stokke impressed scouts at the Wisconsin pro day.  He is a FB, but is 6-2, 240 and is a brutal blocker who has some hands.  Smart too.  I put him on the PS if Tremble gets nicked or banged up, you do not lose that blocking--since I do not see another blocking TE on the roster making the team.

• Pie 2

Running back: Keep Four > Christian McCaffrey, Chuba Hubbard, Reggie Bonnafon, Trenton Cannon. Place Rodney Smith on the Practice Squad.

Fullback: > Tremble FB/TE One of these will be cut and one placed on the practice squad. Mikey Daniel, Mason Stokke,

Edited by KatsAzz
  • Pie 2