• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which Positions Have The Panthers Improved Most This Off Season

KatsAzz

I keep watching tape of Tommy Tremble blocking and for the life of me can't figure out how he wasn't in the conversation for at least the late 1st or early 2nd. even if you consider his absolute upside to be your 1B blocking TE to a 1A pass catching guy, he's just full effort all over the field and one of the best athletes at the position this year. he's likely to line up behind the line of scrimmage at times to lead block for CMC and get to the spot first to set the edge. This guy doesn't just block, he's nasty. Not dirty, but really really nasty. Saw this interesting stat about ND TE's that start being drafted 10 or 11 straight seasons. The complexity of what they ask of their guys in the running game is a big part of it. He's going to be a special teams impact right away. He's going to be a run game impact right away. He accelerates into anticipated contact and finishes plays. 

He has some potential for offensive production as well, but it probably won't be eye popping. If he can get 350-400 yards from being forgotten as a target because of the expectation he's in as a blocker, it's going to help blow things wide open and give us a lot more of a chance to disguise what we're going to do. He also has the speed and strength and arms to neutralize edge rushers and keep them from going wide by directing them back into the tackle if he's being used at the end of the line. There will be at least 1 occurrence a game where the opposing safety hasn't done their homework and gets clean trucked by him in run blocking. This is a football player. 

• Pie 3

On 5/31/2021 at 9:02 PM, Khyber53 said:

Honestly, we don't know for sure if we've improved anywhere. That last season of Rivera's we were all ooohing and ahhhing over the big name defensive free agents we picked up in the offseason. And then the season rolled out and those old dudes played like they were happy with the paychecks and the opportunity to travel and sleep in late. 

We look better, on paper, if you read it the right way, but reality could be way different. Once again, that's why they don't give an offseason trophy. Still, I'm optimistic for our chances, but let's not make marriage plans before the second date.

I think the difference between the ooohs and ahhhs of Rivera's free agents is these guys were at the end of their careers and Rivera was looking for a spark from the past.  Sadly it failed miserably.

Most of our free agents are players that had good season in 2020 but their previous organization let them seek free agency.  Maybe betting they wouldn't get a better offer.  Plus with the lower salary cap they may not have been able to afford them.  

In short, there is no comparison to Rivera's/Hurney's additions and Rhule/Fitterer additions. 

2 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think the difference between the ooohs and ahhhs of Rivera's free agents is these guys were at the end of their careers and Rivera was looking for a spark from the past.  Sadly it failed miserably.

Most of our free agents are players that had good season in 2020 but their previous organization let them seek free agency.  Maybe betting they wouldn't get a better offer.  Plus with the lower salary cap they may not have been able to afford them.  

In short, there is no comparison to Rivera's/Hurney's additions and Rhule/Fitterer additions. 

While you make some good points, the truth is that we still don't really know if this direction the team is taking will work either. Last year's 5-11 didn't feel that much better than the prior year's 5-11. Right now folks are patting themselves on the backs about how well the draft went with all the trade backs and how well we picked up in the free agency period.

In truth, though, we just have no way of knowing if we've made any progress or not. And honestly, this season is Rhule's prove it season. We've got to see major improvement. 6-11 isn't going to cut it either.

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

While you make some good points, the truth is that we still don't really know if this direction the team is taking will work either. Last year's 5-11 didn't feel that much better than the prior year's 5-11. Right now folks are patting themselves on the backs about how well the draft went with all the trade backs and how well we picked up in the free agency period.

In truth, though, we just have no way of knowing if we've made any progress or not. And honestly,

Rhule is in no way in any danger of losing his job.  His seat is ice cold my friend.  This is not your daddy's Panthers team you are watching.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Rhule is in no way in any danger of losing his job.  His seat is ice cold my friend.  This is not your daddy's Panthers team you are watching.

I hope you're right. But if we lay an egg this year, do you think it's going to be all fine and dandy?

4 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

While you make some good points, the truth is that we still don't really know if this direction the team is taking will work either. Last year's 5-11 didn't feel that much better than the prior year's 5-11.

When you consider who we lost going into that season, then a new coaching staff without a preseason, tough division, SOS, # of close losses against good teams...I'd say we exceeded expectations though it doesn't show in our record.

In truth, though, we just have no way of knowing if we've made any progress or not.

I agree. 

And honestly, this season is Rhule's prove it season. We've got to see major improvement. 6-11 isn't going to cut it either.

Rhule is definitely in "win now" mode. The sheer #  of addressed needs.... new QB, new LB's  and   4  draft picks that should have significant PT/contribution.  With CMC coming back ...this just is not the 2020 Panthers.  

If we end up 6-11 for some reason, it might be a bit early to pass final judgement on the Rhule/Fit experiment.  It took 3 years at Baylor and Temple and rebuilds take time. 

That said I'm thinking  8 wins...with at least one against a team with a winning record.  Of course I'm hoping for more.   

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Vagrant said:

I keep watching tape of Tommy Tremble blocking and for the life of me can't figure out how he wasn't in the conversation for at least the late 1st or early 2nd. even if you consider his absolute upside to be your 1B blocking TE to a 1A pass catching guy, he's just full effort all over the field and one of the best athletes at the position this year. he's likely to line up behind the line of scrimmage at times to lead block for CMC and get to the spot first to set the edge. This guy doesn't just block, he's nasty. Not dirty, but really really nasty. Saw this interesting stat about ND TE's that start being drafted 10 or 11 straight seasons. The complexity of what they ask of their guys in the running game is a big part of it. He's going to be a special teams impact right away. He's going to be a run game impact right away. He accelerates into anticipated contact and finishes plays. 

He has some potential for offensive production as well, but it probably won't be eye popping. If he can get 350-400 yards from being forgotten as a target because of the expectation he's in as a blocker, it's going to help blow things wide open and give us a lot more of a chance to disguise what we're going to do. He also has the speed and strength and arms to neutralize edge rushers and keep them from going wide by directing them back into the tackle if he's being used at the end of the line. There will be at least 1 occurrence a game where the opposing safety hasn't done their homework and gets clean trucked by him in run blocking. This is a football player. 

image.png.9b1b2791b200f1ec00e2637b1b125566.png

• Pie 1

Two of our main issues last year:

1. Getting off the field on third down-(This is why we went with Horn at #8, brought in Bouye, and added Taylor at #5.)

2. Making plays downfield at the end of games- (We got rid of Teddy and brought in Sam who has arm talent and can make plays out of structure)

It is well documented how close 8 of our losses were and what happened at the end of those games. Many of our offseason moves (like them or not) are attempts to fix those issues. We seem to have improved our CB room, and our QB, despite all his flaws, has the traits we wanted.

The perceived ?s at LT, and really the whole OL outside of Moton, is our next biggest issue. Our improvements there are as debated as our QB move. I think we did get a little better (I think our Guard Play will improve this year), and with a healthy CMAC and a more consistent run threat our pass pro will improve too (not as many 3rd and longs). 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I hope you're right. But if we lay an egg this year, do you think it's going to be all fine and dandy?

Truthfully, yes.  Contrary to what you may think this team is trending up even with the ill advised Hurney year setback. 

Tepper is playing the long game and on top of that there is no way this team is going to lay an egg this coming season. 

Sure, injuries in key places could derail playoff aspirations as would it any team.  But you see we now have a guy who is capable of mitigating such injuries by building a deeper roster.  

That's how you build a consistent winner.