• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Developmental / bottom of the roster player we carry this year?

CanadianCat

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about Fisher.  His combine wasn't awesome but he's got a nose for the ball.  I'd like to see him make it too, but don't see him beating out Carter at this point.  Maybe.

I can't see us keeping Moore and Fisher though.  To make that happen there would be a surprise vet cut somewhere.

If there was ever a Panthers coach that would surprise cut an underperforming/overexpensive vet, Rhule's the guy. Please see last year. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Madwolf said:

Was he a starter last year because he won the job, or because he was the only guy left?

If he can't beat out the guys we brought in you absolutely cut him.

Either way. The guys you brought in aren't exactly A1 talents or surefire better than Thomas type of guys. Could they beat him out? Most likely..but are they that much better than him that he is cut?? Humm

1 hour ago, CanadianCat said:

Well obviously we didnt think he did enough as we brought 2 new player into that position

And that's a point no one can argue against. Also I'm curious is it Thomas fault or more a systematic design as well? Even tremble the guy we brought in was more designated h back or blocker type. Maybe that's what the system needs?

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

Either way. The guys you brought in aren't exactly A1 talents or surefire better than Thomas type of guys. Could they beat him out? Most likely..but are they that much better than him that he is cut?? Humm

And that's a point no one can argue against. Also I'm curious is it Thomas fault or more a systematic design as well? Even tremble the guy we brought in was more designated h back or blocker type. Maybe that's what the system needs?

I don't want to dis Thomas.  I was excited for him, especially his rookie year when Olsen got hurt.  But he dropped some 3rd and longs that were right in the breadbasket and then this year,  in his own presser he talked about how hard it was for him to transition to the new system in the pandemic.

I don't think he can catch or run routes as well as Arnold, and he cannot block as well as Tremble...unfortunately, he's odd man out.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, SBBlue said:

I don't want to dis Thomas.  I was excited for him, especially his rookie year when Olsen got hurt.  But he dropped some 3rd and longs that were right in the breadbasket and then this year,  in his own presser he talked about how hard it was to transition to the new system in the pandemic.I

I don't think can catch or run routes as well as Arnold, and he cannot block as well as Tremble...unfortunately, he's odd man out.

And all that you said is fair. I can agree with all of it, but depending on how many tightends we keep day we keep 3 does he get cut? He can't be worse than day manhertz who was a solid blocker but that's it..

3 hours ago, SBBlue said:

In my mind we should have drafted him.

It was a good risk.

Small school kid who's team canceled the 2020 season during COVID.  Scouting NFL-wide was way down because of the epidemic so a lot of teams likely didn't even know who he was.   Is short for an OL at 6-1. 

Panthers had 1-on-1 experience with him at the Senior Bowl.  So we knew his potential when many other teams did not.   It was a shrewd calculation of his likely availability.  

2 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

It was a good risk.

Small school kid who's team canceled the 2020 season during COVID.  Scouting NFL-wide was way down because of the epidemic so a lot of teams likely didn't even know who he was.   Is short for an OL at 6-1. 

Panthers had 1-on-1 experience with him at the Senior Bowl.  So we knew his potential when many other teams did not.   It was a shrewd calculation of his likely availability.  

Scott went to Grambling too I think, so I think he gave us the heads up.

And you're right it was a calculated risk that panned out.    

Man the senior bowl had a big impact on our player acquisition Taylor, Shi and Moore. 

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Scott went to Grambling too I think, so I think he gave us the heads up.

And you're right it was a calculated risk that panned out.    

Man the senior bowl had a big impact on our player acquisition Taylor, Shi and Moore. 

Other guys who also played on the Panthers Senior Bowl team: 

• OG Deonte Brown 
  • LS Thomas Fletcher
  • UDFA LB Paddy Fisher

The benefits of coaching the Senior Bowl during the COVID quarantine season just can't be overstated.  It was close scouting and interactions with the players that almost no other team had in 2020.   That's a huge advantage.  Basically the bottom of our draft and many of the UDFA were Senior Bowl guys.   

The close contact with the Senior Bowl players might have even affected our draft strategy.  Carolina traded down and amassed lots of late round picks.  I think the Panthers were confident that given their Senior Bowl knowledge, they could hit on many of those late selections.  

Edited by BlitzMonster
  • Pie 3

16 hours ago, stbugs said:

Due to a CBA bonus for performance (probably snaps since he wasn’t productive) by later round picks, there is an extra $2.2M reason for Thomas to get cut. If Thomas is released we save $2.2M on the cap. The 3rd TE isn’t worth that.

Thats a reasonable assumption as well. But come training camp and the way they raving about him being most improved who's to say he's 3rd?