• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

GMFB on Sam Darnold Thursday

SBBlue

12 hours ago, SBBlue said:

Before Darnold, I never really gave as much thought to evaluating players in context like we are doing this year for Darnold.  I would not be looking at context if we didn't trade for him.

I wonder if the coaches are applying the same logic  to our FA Oline acquisitions this year.  Eiflin came from the Jets and his pff did decline some when he went there from the Vikings.  Erving was drafted into the 1-15, 0-16 Browns before he went to backup roles at KC and Dallas.

I think this is a sign of cap strapped teams.

You sign talent and what could be vs. production. Injury prone or bad teams. You take the risk vs. sign a below average but consistent player. If it works out, one less hole next year, where as you’ll still have a whole with a JAG.

I’m fine with that but once we have a healthy cap I really want to see some magic in FA. The only time I have ever seen that since inception was with Gettle in 2015 (in a different way).

Edited by onmyown

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Erving is a complete bust. While Darnold has shown flashes and enough talent to take a chance on, Erving has been bad everywhere he went. 

If he is able to be simply average it would be a miracle turnaround.

The Eiflin and Erving  deals are  headscratchers then.  They were done early in FA and there were other olineman to pursue, albeit I would assume they would be more expensive, but we have the cap.  It makes no sense.  Who would choose to actually put these guys on the line?  Everyone condemned these deals.

These were  Fits first deals I think.  Rookie mistake?

1 hour ago, onmyown said:

I think this is a sign of cap strapped teams.

You sign talent and what could be vs. production. Injury prone or bad teams. You take the risk vs. sign a below average but consistent player. If it works out, one less hole next year, where as you’ll still have a whole with a JAG.

I’m fine with that but once we have a healthy cap I really want to see some magic in FA. The only time I have ever seen that since inception was with Gettle in 2015 (in a different way).

We have 14mil in cap space   Next year we'll have 50mil  as we shed 48mil in dead cap. 

Maybe they were trying to leave space for a Stafford or Watson deal.  But having a shitty oline doesn't entice a great QB here.  

I always thought it was cheap depth.  They may have told Erving he was LT, but they knew he could play elsewhere and he would have to compete.

Maybe Moton to LT and draft BC to RT was the plan all along.  BC, Brown and Moore look like good signings.  I could see us actually having 3 rookies on the line at some point this year.  No wonder we took a QB who has a lot of experience throwing on the run.

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

The Eiflin and Erving  deals are  headscratchers then.  They were done early in FA and there were other olineman to pursue, albeit I would assume they would be more expensive, but we have the cap.  It makes no sense.  Who would choose to actually put these guys on the line?  Everyone condemned these deals.

These were  Fits first deals I think.  Rookie mistake?

I was scratching my head about them when we signed them precisely for those reasons. They were likely to be available later in free agency and potentially cheaper. It isn't like they were can't miss, high demand guys. They are really backup/depth caliber guys. 

I will be perfectly happy being wrong and Fit looking like a genius but I am just not seeing it.

It's hard to explain.