• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers PJ Waker Ranked 25 Among NFL Backup Quarterbacks

KatsAzz

2 hours ago, Smithers said:

Josh McCown?  Come on...he’s 41 and doesn’t offer much at this point.  I imagine they’ll be some notable backups cut in the next month or two.  

I mean, you wouldn’t bring in a vet to pair with Sam for what he offers you on Sunday.  You would him for what he offers you M-Sat.   

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, RJK said:

His arm strength was leaps and bounds better then Teddy and it was obvious right away. These nfl analysts are overpaid morons 

And if the day comes when the NFL changes its point scoring system to "whoever throws it the farthest wins", then that'll come in handy.

In the meantime, how far or how fast you can throw it doesn't mean jack sh-t if you can't throw it accurately to a certain spot while reading the defense that's trying to stop you.

This is where Walker isn't good enough.

Despite what some fans think, the guy with the strongest arm isn't always the best quarterback. Hell, take a look at who won the Super Bowl just last year.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

I have always liked Gardner Minshew and would be a happy camper if we could afford to sign him as a backup to Sam Darnold.

I was very surprised to see he's never made $1M in any season...

...I'd sure as hell take him over PJ or Grier.

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

And if the day comes when the NFL changes its point scoring system to "whoever throws it the farthest wins", then that'll come in handy.

In the meantime, how far or how fast you can throw it doesn't mean jack sh-t if you can't throw it accurately to a certain spot while reading the defense that's trying to stop you.

This is where Walker isn't good enough.

Despite what some fans think, the guy with the strongest arm isn't always the best quarterback. Hell, take a look at who won the Super Bowl just last year.

that would be a good point, if the reason why teddy bridgewater was traded wasn't because his arm isn't strong enough. also, everybody doesn't have the reputation like brady to be able to snap their fingers and get superstars on their team.

• Beer 1

13 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

McCown would be good for the backup/mentor job. Last I remember, he was living in Charlotte (I think).

I get the feeling we'll go to camp with what we have, though.

McCown would be the best, non-threatening QB to pick up. And I also agree that we're going into camp, and maybe the season, with who we have.

• Beer 1

Teams usually deal with the backup quarterback position in one of two ways: Invest in young talent to push the incumbent starter to a higher level of play and potentially usurp the starter down the road or hire a veteran to effectively be another coach with a clipboard, providing mentorship and game-management advice. 

It also might be the best job in the NFL. The backup QB is the player who sees the least amount of time on the field and has an infinitesimal chance of injury while still cashing a hefty paycheck.

6 hours ago, Tinamedina said:

that would be a good point, if the reason why teddy bridgewater was traded wasn't because his arm isn't strong enough.

Yeah...not true.

Bridgewater's arm was never the issue. The problem was that he didn't have the courage to make risky throws when he needed to.

Walker's touchdown to interception ratio shows that he definitely has the courage, just not the accuracy.

3 hours ago, Khaki Lackey said:

If you aren't a legit contender, all a quality backup QB does is wreck your draft status. As far as vet coaching up Sam, he's got actual coaches for that.

how many coaches on our roster have played QB in the NFL? 

Given Sam Darnold is a young bust to date....the QB room is pretty weak IMO if the goal is to coach him up.  

Sam's quarterback coach in Carolina played LB in college.    Who coached a Manning in the NFL who was half way into his career...and Deshaun Watson.   

Teddy wasn't moved on from simply because of arms strength but because of timidness and not executing the offense as Rhule and Brady wanted. 

Tom Brady doesn't have a huge arm but he has always been aggressive and a good downfield thrower despite not having a prototypical hug arm. 

Edited by Moo Daeng

3 hours ago, Khaki Lackey said:

If you aren't a legit contender, all a quality backup QB does is wreck your draft status. As far as vet coaching up Sam, he's got actual coaches for that.

How do you ever become a legit contender if anything you do to improve can be considered wrecking your draft status.  You don't play football for draft order.  

Edited by Moo Daeng