• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Erving

SBBlue

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That write up on Erving sort of illustrates my overall point about he and Elflein. They are good quality backup players. The issues becomes when you try to have extended periods of them starting. Neither has had much success so far in those situations.

I would agree with that and I still see Erving as swing tackle.  He did have moderate success at Guard with KC, starting 13 games when they won the AFC championship, they kept him but he then battled injury starting only  8 the year they won the SB.

Both Erving and Eiflin can play center and I see as depth pieces.  I guess their strategy is throw a bunch of depth pieces at it and see what cream rises to the top while easing the rookies in.

In the end, someone if  someone gets hurt, we now we have 4 players who can play center, 4 who can play tackle and bunch who can play guard.

10 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I would agree with that and I still see Erving as swing tackle.  He did have moderate success at Guard with KC, starting 13 games when they won the AFC championship, they kept him but he then battled injury starting only  8 the year they won the SB.

Both Erving and Eiflin can play center and I see as depth pieces.  I guess their strategy is throw a bunch of depth pieces at it and see what cream rises to the top while easing the rookies in.

In the end, someone if  someone gets hurt, we now we have 4 players who can play center, 4 who can play tackle and bunch who can play guard.

Yeah bit likely none that can play at above a below average NFL level. That is really the concerning part.

But, perhaps there is more cream there than it appears.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah bit likely none that can play at above a below average NFL level. That is really the concerning part.

But, perhaps there is more cream there than it appears.

That's what offseason discussions are all about, likelihood and probability.

Its unlikely that the oline will do well.  Its unlikely Sam will ball out.  It seems very unlikely that both Sam and oline will do well.

Tepper is patently better at betting than either of us.  He bet on Rhule and Fitt, and they bet on Sam and this line.  I didn't understand the Rhule, Sam or the line choices, so I researched them and shared my findings here.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

link:Every NFL Team's Most Overpaid Player Entering 2021 Season | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

The Contract: Two years, $10 million with $8 million guaranteed

An argument could be made for Carolina Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey here, strictly because big second contracts for running backs rarely pan out. However, McCaffrey is arguably the NFL's best dual-threat tailback when healthy.

Instead, we'll go with journeyman offensive lineman Cameron Erving, who expects to be the starter at left tackle this season.

A two-year, $10 million deal isn't a lot for a starting left tackle, but it is a lot for a player who has struggled to find a home and a position in the NFL. Erving, a first-round pick back in 2015, is now on his fourth team and third position after previously playing center and guard.

Erving has never played 80 percent of the offensive snaps in a season and finished 2020 on injured reserve. He hasn't shown the longevity or reliability to justify the $8 million guaranteed on his current deal.

With $5.8 million in dead money remaining on Erving's contract after this season, Carolina will essentially have to let him play it out.

18 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Im still saying, dont sleep on Daley, I think if he stays healthy, he could be a solid LT for us.  

He didn't look good his first year, and was injured last.  He's going to have to show at camp just to make the team I think.  I posted this elsewhere:

We kept 9 OL to make 53 last year.   Just deciding which 9 to keep isn't easy.  This is my guess:

Make the Team
72 Taylor Moton T
75 Cameron Erving T
60 Pat Elflein G
61 Matt Paradis C
70 Brady Christensen T
78 Trent Scott T
67 John Miller G
77 Deonte Brown G
68 David Moore G

Practice squad or Cut
65 Dennis Daley G
74 Greg Little T
71 Sam Tecklenburg G
66 Mike Horton G
62 Aaron Monteiro T
63 Matt Kaskey T
73 Martez Ivey T

We could put Moore on the PS and protect him I guess, but I would not be surprised if that beast is starting at G before the end of the year.

On 7/6/2021 at 1:19 PM, frankw said:

Names and faces have changed but damn if it doesn't feel like it's the same tune as yesteryear with this o line. Darnold will be putting that mobility to the test early.

I sincerely doubt we put together a worse line for Sam than he’s already had.  Even if the two are equal he still has a better cast around him.  He actually performs better while improvising.  Lots of reasons to be hopeful, until there isn’t.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, Captain Morgan said:

hope we give a healthy Daley a shot in the new system with an offseason.

I had to check how they're doing cuts this year.  

August 17 — four days after the first preseason game  NFL teams are required to cut down to 85 players.

August 24 — Three days after Preseason Game 2 NFL teams are required to cut down to 80 players.

August 31 — Four days after Preseason Game 3 NFL teams are required to cut down to 53 players

Looking at this I would expect him to get a full preseason.  Worst case, we kept a protected tackle on the PS last year, I would expect us to do the same this year which leaves room for one more.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, L-TownCat said:

I sincerely doubt we put together a worse line for Sam than he’s already had.  Even if the two are equal he still has a better cast around him.  He actually performs better while improvising.  Lots of reasons to be hopeful, until there isn’t.

His natural passing ability is a good reason to be hopeful. As for the line the bar for me is higher than just being grateful we aren't as bad as the Jets. After 10 years of this we deserve better than that.

• Beer 2

On 7/7/2021 at 12:19 PM, kungfoodude said:

That write up on Erving sort of illustrates my overall point about he and Elflein. They are good quality backup players. The issues becomes when you try to have extended periods of them starting. Neither has had much success so far in those situations.

With the Moton signing, things aren't any clearer either.

I guess we won't know who's LT games start.

We are running the wide zone scheme.  That requires the RB to start running at the DE, then he adjusts and makes a cut based on the OL head positions--the read is C/B to B/A gap, so a back like CMC is perfect for this offense. 

Having said that, everyone looks at Erving's pass blocking, but his run blocking is pretty on point.  Expect to see a lot of play action, where the DE/OLB has to hold the point and that (along with Tremble) will help Erving (if he is the LT).  Erving is smart, and this requires some thinking--more about body position than anchoring the entire side.

We could have a good line.  I am not sure yet, because I am still learning about the skill set each position needs.  I know that the C is a key player because he must reach the interior OL wherever he is--it is hard to understand at this point...but do not apply a power running gap scheme formula to this OL--

I know that Christensen was considered a G by many wide zone teams and they wanted him--and would have been gone soon if we had not grabbed him.  Cosmi and Slater were the top OTs teams wanted for this offense.  So compare our LTs to those guys and maybe you get a better idea. 

I am starting to see it--of course, you have to execute.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2