• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Lance

NAS

5 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

He he's a better situation than all of the rookie qbs except for maybe Jones.

Lance was drafted into the best situation of all the draft eligible QBs. The tight ends on NE should be good but that WR room is still not league average. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Moo Daeng said:

Glad you guys could make a Lance thread another place to repeat yourselves for the umpteenth time about Darnold. Good job.

Unless Darnold looks like an mvp candidate and the Panthers dominate it's going to be one of the most prevalent topics around here so you might as well get used to it 🤷‍♂️

Edited by frankw
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Varking said:

Lance was drafted into the best situation of all the draft eligible QBs. The tight ends on NE should be good but that WR room is still not league average. 

I was talking long-term. Both drafted into systems that seem to fit their skill sets. Both coached by good staffs. Lance seems to have the best immediate situation, but I'm not sure either actually play as rookies. Jones may have the better situation long-term simply because of the draft capital SF had to relinquish to get Lance. The roster is probably going to feel that down the road.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I was talking long-term. Both drafted into systems that seem to fit their skill sets. Both coached by good staffs. Lance seems to have the best immediate situation, but I'm not sure either actually play as rookies. Jones may have the better situation long-term simply because of the draft capital SF had to relinquish to get Lance. The roster is probably going to feel that down the road.

Accurate. I was just typing from a today standpoint. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

That's bit unreasonable to expect don't you think?

I set the bar that high because that's likely the only scenario that the majority of Carolina fans would put aside bias and agree. Let's just be honest we know our fanbase. Two notable long term starters in 25 years. Dominance is the only thing that is going to keep these fans from swooning at the sight of other quarterbacks we may have had a shot at.

• Beer 2

46 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

That's bit unreasonable to expect don't you think?

Is it unreasonable to expect Darnold to look better than Fields and Lance next month? Is it unreasonable to expect that after going effectively all-in on TB that Rhule wouldn't have learned from it and pushed his chips in on a potential franchise QB who has the skills to lead this franchise for the next decade as opposed to just throwing sh¡t against the wall and seeing if it sticks. And, no, I'm not calling Darnold sh¡t or saying that he should be a an MVP candidate from the jump, but he better be--at the very least--a competent game manager (and even that'd be a lip-pursing lowering of expectations), especially after all their evaluations of all QBs involved (including Minshew, I might add, assuming they did evaluate him, which they should have.).

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Is it unreasonable to expect Darnold to look better than Fields and Lance next month? Is it unreasonable to expect that after going effectively all-in on TB that Rhule wouldn't have learned from it and pushed his chips in on a potential franchise QB who has the skills to lead this franchise for the next decade as opposed to just throwing sh¡t against the wall and seeing if it sticks. And, no, I'm not calling Darnold sh¡t or saying that he should be a an MVP candidate from the jump, but he better be--at the very least--a competent game manager (and even that'd be a lip-pursing lowering of expectations), especially after all their evaluations of all QBs involved (including Minshew, I might add, assuming they did evaluate him, which they should have.).

Well brother I fear your expectations may be a bit premature.  As far as I can tell they haven't gone all in on any qb yet.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

As far as Lance, I just hate when I hear that stuff as an excuse.  If you have a talent you believe in, you cater and tailor your system around them.  It happens all the time.  But, it is clear thus far, that Rhule (and/or Brady) prefers QBs who manage the game and wants rely more on the entirety of his team and "program" over guys with ability to take over an entire game on their own. 

Darnold is a gunslinger. They ditched Bridgewater so quickly because he WOULDN'T take the shots that were on offer. 

Like every HC (and OC) he wants a QB that isn't going to needlessly turn the ball over - hence why he's preaching limiting turnovers with Darnold. That said, he wants a QB that is willing to push the ball down the field when it's on offer. 

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, top dawg said:

All in? They ditched him in one season?

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

I didn’t watch the game but I did just watch this link.

Trey did not look good. He looked middle of the road. Doesn’t mean he will won’t hit his ceiling though. 

things he will hear from coaches today:

1. step up in the pocket when you feel that outside pressure rather than start to scramble backwards 

2. throw it away

3. get off your first read 

@top dawgi know you are defending the guy pretty hard, but he was the reason for 3 out of the 4 sacks, and there was only 3 dropped balls you could blame on the receiver, and honestly the first one would never have gotten to the receiver against a starting defense. That was a duck and thrown laterally- which you never do as a quarterback. Trey looked timid and rarely confident, and I was worried about his throwing form before the draft and still am after watching that. Kinda looks like a young Colin Kaepernick 

Honestly Lance is going to look dogshit for a while - he's a huge project. His footwork and throwing mechanics regressed massively last year and he has almost no experience.

Shannahan and co really risked their jobs on him - it's either a genius move, or one that sees them on the FOX pre-game show talking about other teams in a couple of years time.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I never understood the Jones hype. All I saw from him at Alabama was standing behind an elite OL with all the time in the world and floating dying ducks to wide open likely future All-Pro WRs. I just didn't see NFL QB traits.

The only scenario I saw was trading back, and drafting him to be a backup for at least this year. But there's too much talent sitting there at number 8 to pull that BS.