• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A comment in a presser today

KB_fan

Rhule or Snow (sorry, I forget now which it was) mentioned something in today's presser that got me thinking about something.

He reminded the media of how few games a lot of the rookies played last year, while making a comment about the importance of managing player reps and needing depth. (I think it was Rhule talking about why it's so impressive that Jaycee is already acting like a pro in terms of caring for his body). This 17 game season is going to be BRUTAL for a lot of our rookies.  The rookie wall could be way more evident than normal since many played so little last year.

Makes me think it might be wise to temper expectations for the late part of the season. Hopefully youth will be an advantage and our guys will stay strong. But 17 games is going to be a shock to them mentally and physically.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Rhule or Snow (sorry, I forget now which it was) mentioned something in today's presser that got me thinking about something.

He reminded the media of how few games a lot of the rookies played last year, while making a comment about the importance of managing player reps and needing depth. (I think it was Rhule talking about why it's so impressive that Jaycee is already acting like a pro in terms of caring for his body). This 17 game season is going to be BRUTAL for a lot of our rookies.  The rookie wall could be way more evident than normal since many played so little last year.

Makes me think it might be wise to temper expectations for the late part of the season. Hopefully youth will be an advantage and our guys will stay strong. But 17 games is going to be a shock to them mentally and physically.

We need to temper our expectations in general because of our youth. Not many teams this young are strong playoff contenders early on. It takes time for them to get the experience and polish.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

We need to temper our expectations in general because of our youth. Not many teams this young are strong playoff contenders early on. It takes time for them to get the experience and polish.

Yeah, a few years back when I was doing more stat crunching, i dug into this a bit. Definitely true that more experienced teams had greater success in getting to playoffs.

I will try to dig up that old spreadsheet (it's on an external hard drive...). It's like 4 or 5 years old. Maybe I can update it a bit too... though PFR now limits much of its data to paying subscribers.  I might subscribe... will see if I have the time / energy to make it worthwhile.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

48 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

I think this is where what Fit has been doing is essential for a good season. He's added so much Depth in this team that when it is later in the season if there is an injury or two or people are banged up, the depth will show and it will be for the better, maybe give time for those starters or people that need time to heal. This feels good to know and to have said depth. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

I think this is where what Fit has been doing is essential for a good season. He's added so much Depth in this team that when it is later in the season if there is an injury or two or people are banged up, the depth will show and it will be for the better, maybe give time for those starters or people that need time to heal. This feels good to know and to have said depth. 

Bingo... Managing the depth chart will be a competitive advantage

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

38 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Yeah, a few years back when I was doing more stat crunching, i dug into this a bit. Definitely true that more experienced teams had greater success in getting to playoffs.

I will try to dig up that old spreadsheet (it's on an external hard drive...). It's like 4 or 5 years old. Maybe I can update it a bit too... though PFR now limits much of its data to paying subscribers.  I might subscribe... will see if I have the time / energy to make it worthwhile.

I am down to split a subscription if you want to do that. I really like PFR.

• Pie 1