• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not bringing in competition for Darnold or Slye was a huge mistake

hepcat

1 hour ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

Bringing in competition for Darnold would have destroyed the Panthers in other areas.

What money/draft assets should the Panthers have employed, and then look at the trickle down effect of what we'd have lost.

QB is the end all be all in the NFL though.   If the only thing you have a your roster is a redemption project….that seems like a problematic plan. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

42 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

You are 100% correct. After seeing Trubiskey play with a decent team, everybody in Chicago should be fired.

I mean in fairness to him, he has had decent games before. 

he had a winning record in 3 out of 4 seasons.  Made a Pro Bowl.   

and somehow Sam Darnold is the one getting another shot 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

Do you disagree? Passing on Justin Fields or even Mac Jones when he fell into their laps when you’ve got a QB who has been one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL over the last 3 seasons as your new starter is a move that could get people fired. 

They didn’t even sign a veteran QB with some starting experience or hell keep Bridgewater to be a backup. They put all their eggs in the Sam Darnold basket which makes no sense to me based on his history as a starter.

So if you've followed the offseason closely, and I'm sure you have, you'll have seen the fluff pieces before the Draft about the acquisition of Darnold.

This isn't some reclamation project that was "one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL" and boy do they hope something good can come out of it because he was a Top 3 pick once upon a time.

This is a calculated gamble based on their own evaluations (which only started because Phil Jones was scouting an opponent who happened to be playing the Jets and said to Rhule "Damn every now and then this Jets QB looks like Matt Stafford") and the accurate conclusion that the Jets were a joke franchise with an awful HC.

If it works out we've made out like bandits. If it doesn't, we roll the dice again in the Draft next year. It's essentially a 2nd round pick to see if we can steal a 'franchise' starting QB. It's barely an egg in a basket in the grand scheme of things. 

Evidently they weren't too enamored with Fields / Jones. Based on the last two Drafts I'm backing their talent evaluation skills. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I mean in fairness to him, he has had decent games before. 

he had a winning record in 3 out of 4 seasons.  Made a Pro Bowl.   

and somehow Sam Darnold is the one getting another shot 

Makes no sense. Panthers should have signed Trubisky AND traded for Darnold! Plan A and Plan B. Trubisky has at least had some success. He will get another starting opportunity somewhere.

What I really think happened is, the Panthers had egg on their face from the Bridgewater failure plain and simple. They knew another season of Teddy would tank fan interest and cause a mutiny, but they didn’t like and/or didn’t think they could get the top QBs in the draft (thanks again for beating Washington).

They must not have liked Trubisky either or maybe Mitch didn’t want to play for the Panthers. Who knows. Seems like Darnold was their last ditch option to upgrade the QB position. But when Fields fell to them, they should have taken a shot on him. The QB position is the most important on the team, far more important than CB. But here we are. Hopefully Darnold really does turn it around because if not, we get to watch another miserable season unravel.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I always love when fans say "Well, they didn't pick the guy I would have so they must have screwed something up and their first priority isn't winning."

Yeah sure. I mean, smart, professional football people couldn't possibly have disagreed with your logic. Right? 🙄

I mean…there are a lot of “professional football people” who have produced garbage teams.

Bottom line is the Panthers put all their eggs in the Sam Darnold basket. I think it was a good idea rolling the dice on Darnold. But I’m critical of it because it’s not like they had no other options to bring in competition for him.  There needs to be a Plan B with a reclamation project QB like him. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

Any other time of the year, we poo on a player like Trubisky.

Suddenly...WHY DIDNT WE SIGN HIM!?!

I would have been on board signing ANY veteran QB with previous starter experience. PJ and Grier are third string caliber QBs behind a reclamation project QB. Trubisky vs Darnold would have pushed both QBs to bring their best to win the starting job. Instead, Darnold gets anointed the starter just like he was on the Jets. I am very vocal about not being a fan of that.

With no Plan B on the roster it makes me nervous we’re in for another miserable season if Darnold doesn’t work out. 

Just now, hepcat said:

I would have been on board signing ANY veteran QB with previous starter experience

We literally did get a veteran QB with previous starter experience.

I am not confident Trubisky is better than what we have.  

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

With no Plan B on the roster it makes me nervous we’re in for another miserable season if Darnold doesn’t work out. 

How many teams have a Plan B on the roster?

14 hours ago, CanePantherHornet said:

I don't care how much people poo me. Sam Darnold this offseason is the most I have EVER seen a player be sheltered. I don't see how this can be good for us. If someone has a legitimate reason why Sam has only made 2 throws I'd love to hear it.

I wanted to see Darnold play more too, but I get their reasoning - I will try to explain to you.

We were fortunate to be in great field position due to the interception. They let Sam make a comfortable read to a familiar target in Anderson for a first down. Chuba got us into the red zone and then they gave Sam a chance to make a play action throw, instead of forcing it like in the past - he throw it out of the end zone which is a good decision in the gran scheme of things. The drive ended in points and Sam did not make any mistakes technically.

It would have been nice to see him play more, I know we're all starving for football and wanting to see our new QB - but he played tons of snaps against the Colts first team and Ravens first team in camp. These snaps were behind the scenes, and we were running the plays that we will run in regular season that we don't want to display. Sam also got to throw to Robby and DJ during the scrimmages. They obviously feel pretty comfortable with him to be okay with one throw and is decision not to force a throw in a preseason game.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

I wanted to see Darnold play more too, but I get their reasoning - I will try to explain to you.

We were fortunate to be in great field position due to the interception. They let Sam make a comfortable read to a familiar target in Anderson for a first down. Chuba got us into the red zone and then they gave Sam a chance to make a play action throw, instead of forcing it like in the past - he throw it out of the end zone which is a good decision in the gran scheme of things. The drive ended in points and Sam did not make any mistakes technically.

It would have been nice to see him play more, I know we're all starving for football and wanting to see our new QB - but he played tons of snaps against the Colts first team and Ravens first team in camp. These snaps were behind the scenes, and we were running the plays that we will run in regular season that we don't want to display. Sam also got to throw to Robby and DJ during the scrimmages. They obviously feel pretty comfortable with him to be okay with one throw and is decision not to force a throw in a preseason game.

Actually it did not end in pts as they stopped us on 4th down

But if we had tried a FG slye would have missed it