• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Perspective, Directive, and Erective - The Panthers offensive woes and you

Zod

21 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

The biggest problem this team faces in 2021 is a horrible lack of depth. This showed against the Colts and again against the Ravens. This won’t be fixed this year, it will take another off-season. So just cross your fingers and hope we can stay relatively healthy.

I mean, if we have some horrible luck, then yeah our depth isn't sufficient, but I don't see our depth as being that out of the ordinary. We need line depth, LBs due to being thin due to injury now, and the same for the defensive backfield. But I think that most teams could stand to have more depth. It's just that the good ones stay ahead of the curve.

Just now, Castavar said:

I hope you're right about us picking up that Baltimore backup kicker (I think his last name was Verity). He looked silky smooth kicking the ball yesterday, and he's already gotten to learn from the best kicker in the league.

Verity likely won't come free. We're going to have to spend some draft capital. 

1 hour ago, Zod said:

IT IS PRESEASON. THEY ARE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT GETTING FILM OF PLAYERS IN CERTAIN PLAYS THAN THEY ARE SCORING POINTS. 

Cmt Megaphone GIF by The Ed Bassmaster Show

If it makes anyone feel better about losing preseason games:  the Bucs and the Packers are also 0-2 this preseason.  So at least we're keeping pace with those teams.

13 minutes ago, Zod said:

Hard to develop depth when 1 guy from the entire 2019 draft is worth a damn. 

Or when after 2019 you literally burned the entire roster to the ground.

This was always going to be the hard part of the rebuild, gaining quality depth. That can't happen in one offseason unless we want to be in perpetual cap hell again. It will likely take 2+ offseasons more to start putting a significant dent in that problem.

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

So we can watch him suck there too?

How about move him to his most natural position...on the pine?

He's an interior guy. Putting him outside was a mistake.

That's not to say he's great at either spot. But he doesn't have to be great, just better than Paradis.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

He's an interior guy. Putting him outside is a mistake.

That's not to say he's great at either spot. But he doesn't have to be great, just better than Paradis.

Paradis is literally probably our second best lineman at the moment. We definitely don't have the luxury of sending him down the depth chart because he is overpaid for what we received. 

Elflein was apparently so effective at center that after drafting him, he was replaced by another draft pick by his team. He's a depth player, not an NFL starter. Get the young guys in there that have a chance to improve and be something. Elflein isn't that.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Update: Ricci was in at fullback on another play in that series, but for the 4th and 1 play it was Colin Thompson.

I agree with that last sentence 😕

Wonder why we aren’t using tremble at the fullback/h-back position 

I’m wondering if on a game day, he is the guy. They might have been giving Ricci and Thompson reps there to see if there is any reason to roster a 4th TE.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Update: Ricci was in at fullback on another play in that series, but for the 4th and 1 play it was Colin Thompson.

I agree with that last sentence 😕

Yeah, if Thompson is viewed as a top option at this point….that is worrisome.    Given that was the first series group.  No one likes to talk about FB play….but now that we don’t have Cam handling those one yarders it’s back to being important again.