• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Perspective, Directive, and Erective - The Panthers offensive woes and you

Zod

Yeah, I was thinking we likely have our eye on that ECU kicker after having held joint practices with them and then Slye missing that kick again last night.

Also excited about Chubba.  He is such a patient runner, low center of gravity, great contact balance, slithery and explosive...  and aside from all of that, that pass pro pickup he had last night was absolutely beautiful.

That OL Zod listed is the exact combination I want.  BC has proven his worth thus far, and Deonte has earned a shot and looked really good...  Elflein has looked bad.  Flip Moton to the left and Daley has looked great in most of his spot duty over the last couple years on the left, in this case guard.  That's a really good combination.

I really love the more I'm seeing of Shi Smith.  Already loved TMJ.

Finally, Tommy Tremble is a beast.  very athletic with a nasty streak.  He's gonna be fun to watch.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Daley as a reserve means less wear and tear on him.

That's another big concern. We have so many guys in that two deep with injury flags. I am extremely concerned about the attrition on that unit over a 17 game schedule.

Edited by kungfoodude

6 hours ago, Zod said:

Hello all. Thank you for visiting the Huddle on this glorious Sunday morning. 

I have a few thoughts on the preseason game last night and the Panthers ability to score points. You know, you won't win many games unless you score some points. #analysis

Let us begin. 

The Red Zone Woes

I see a whole lot of complaining about the Carolina Panthers play calling and execution in the red zone. I would like to take this opportunity to remind some of you that red zone play calling in the preseason is almost always vanilla. Base offense, simple plays, freshly pressed with no wrinkles. Joe Brady is not interested in tipping his hat to the finite amount of plays in his playbook to the opposition this season. 

The execution is another matter all together. The Panthers offensive line was blown up last night on the goal line. Observe...

We have all been so concerned with the pass protection the lack of run blocking snuck up on us. What the hell happened to Pat Elfein here? #60 is blown up and turned around into the backfield immediately. The rest is a domino effect. 

Which brings me to my next point..

Offensive Line improvement is on the way

I cannot imagine Elfein staying in the starting lineup for long. The good news is the Carolina Panthers seem to have hit on two of their offensive line draft picks. Brady Christensen and Deonte Brown both look like ballers than can contribute right now. Put them on the right side of the line and leave them there. This frees up Daley and Miller to play the left guard spot and Moton as our starting left tackle. Bada bing bada boom we have a legitimate NFL line. 

Kick the kicker

Slye is gone, so don't even worry about this. Would not shock me to see the ECU kid on the Ravens get picked up by us. He looked pretty good. 

See the potential. Be the potential.

I am actually very encouraged about the offense as a whole at this point. Darnold has had close to 100 snaps against the defenses of other teams over the past two weeks. Last night he looked like a vet QB in the limited time we saw him. 

What has me really excited are the number of play makers. It looks like Terrace and Shi are both legitimate NFL receivers. That gives the Panthers FOUR play makers at wide out. Has that ever happened before?

Also, I am equally excited about Chuba. It will be important for the Panthers to keep CMC spelled throughout this 17 game season. Chuba seems fully capable of filling in when needed. 

What makes you so sure slye is gone?

be assured I say the guy is a choker on the highest level, but at this late date, we go with a new kicker?

and yes the ecu guy looked great to me

28 minutes ago, Scott12345 said:

What makes you so sure slye is gone?

be assured I say the guy is a choker on the highest level, but at this late date, we go with a new kicker?

and yes the ecu guy looked great to me

I mean teams change kickers during the season.

They don't have to learn any plays - just kick the ball. Go follow Pat McAfee - he's got hilarious stories about how he and Vinatieri were just goofing off every practice because they have so few responsibilities. 

I would have liked them to give the 'starting' O a second drive with a couple more throws in the red zone for Darnold.

I personally am still concerned with the red zone. It's been a big issue for some time for this team, and while I'm not ready to burn everything down from one series, it just looked too much like what we've seen from the Panthers since we lost Cam.  How many 4th and 1s did we fail to convert the last couple years? Feels like a lot... Maybe it isn't as many as it seems.

• Pie 1

I am curious to see how this offense looks with CMC back at full strength. He alone can make a below average OL or even an average OL look better. With the WR's we have now and a TE that can actually be a threat downfield, Brady can spread the field out more than last year and teams will find it harder to blitz multiple LB's or DB's. This in turn can make the OL troubles somewhat less IMO. 

• Pie 1