• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Darnold "coddled" ?

TheBigKat

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

He’s been coddled to an epic degree since he came into the NFL. The Jets traded Bridgewater who was his only competition to be the starter his rookie year, then ironically the Panthers did the same thing. Darnold hasn’t really been challenged to win a starting job since he came into the NFL. For a QB with a losing record who statistically graded out as one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL, the treatment he is still getting is insane. Darnold is a QB that should be competing with another QB to win the starting job. Giving it to a guy like him outright, a QB who has achieved literally nothing at the NFL level, is the definition of coddling.

Man, the Jets should have thought about getting him a QB Coach if they were going to properly coddle him.

A competent OC would have been nice too.

• Pie 1

Rhule and co are probably trying to hard to be big brain and don’t want any film of Darnold and our offense out there so come week one we unleash sole poo no one has seen on the Jets.

Chances are this backfires and we come out looking sloppy and out of sync because our starting unit hasn’t played any meaningful snaps together.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I have a feeling that guy would want nothing to do with this mess of a team. Stafford himself nixed the trade to the Panthers. I can imagine the sentiment among veteran QBs might be similar. If anything Rivers should just go back and play for Indy for a few games until Wentz heals up.

Yeah, we are not going to be high on the list for veteran players that want to win. Maybe guys looking for a paycheck.

We have to build the team before we can make ourselves a destination for "win now" guys.

8 minutes ago, hepcat said:

He’s been coddled to an epic degree since he came into the NFL. The Jets traded Bridgewater who was his only competition to be the starter his rookie year, then ironically the Panthers did the same thing. Darnold hasn’t really been challenged to win a starting job since he came into the NFL. For a QB with a losing record who statistically graded out as one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL, the treatment he is still getting is insane. Darnold is a QB that should be competing with another QB to win the starting job. Giving it to a guy like him outright, a QB who has achieved literally nothing at the NFL level, is the definition of coddling

So basically like every rookie QB drafted in the first round?

The overwhelming majority of first round QBs don't have actual competition.

Its weird to say someone is being coddled by not playing.  But then say they are also being coddled by being forced to play a ton.

Everyone is coddled!

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I mean, I am not saying there isn't any value but I don't find the depth of preseason reps to be anything I am worried about how it will impact his overall season here. 

And, credit to him for the joke he made in the press conference, but he does have plenty of experience getting hit. Not lacking in those reps.

I am sure we just aren't going to agree about this issue but I just don't really find enough fault in limiting his reps in the preseason that I think it will ultimately matter. Definitely not what I personally would have done were I the head coach, but Rhule wants to roll that way so it just is what it is.

I don’t find preseason reps all that useful for everyone.   CMC?  Nope.  Even a Shaq type player.   Not really. 

I think OL is a big one though.  If you got questions there.  OL is too chemistry and rep oriented IMO.  QB just goes hand in hand with that.   I think that is why you see Big Ben and Mahomes out there this preseason.   Think they have some things on the OL they want worked on.  

and I think there is value in all rookies getting them.  Especially if you are going to ask them to start.  Learning curve from college to pros.  Horn IMO could use them. 

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Man, the Jets should have thought about getting him a QB Coach if they were going to properly coddle him.

A competent OC would have been nice too.

I’m not sure where this rumor comes from but Darnold did have coaches around him on the Jets other than Adam Gase. He had Jeremy Bates his rookie year. Dowell Loggains in 2019 and 2020. Also of note, Jim Bob Cooter who had success with Matt Stafford in Detroit as the QB coach and offensive coordinator was the Jets RB coach. If he wasn’t working with Darnold at all, well I guess I wouldn’t be surprised since the Jets are idiots.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

He is getting reps in practices. I don't see preseason reps as much more meaningful than those.

If he fails in 2021, it won't be because he didn't get 30 more reps in preseason games.

no...but when you have fan eyes on you it throws you into another state of mind....

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I don’t find preseason reps all that useful for everyone.   CMC?  Nope.  Even a Shaq type player.   Not really. 

I think OL is a big one though.  If you got questions there.  OL is too chemistry and rep oriented IMO.  QB just goes hand in hand with that.   I think that is why you see Big Ben and Mahomes out there this preseason.   Think they have some things on the OL they want worked on.  

and I think there is value in all rookies getting them.  Especially if you are going to ask them to start.  Learning curve from college to pros.  Horn IMO could use them. 

I would agree about the OL if we had any idea what our starting lineup is going to be but that doesn't appear to be the case. I suspect that we will struggle with chemistry all year as we keep trying to find a competent starting five.

I agree about the rookies and younger players in general. The earlier they start getting reps, the better. It is hard to understand why they want to limit those guys, starting role or not.

But, much like last season, the worst impact will just be that their preseason games will be during the regular season. It just makes it tougher in the beginning of the season. 

Just now, Pimpdaddy said:

no...but when you have fan eyes on you it throws you into another state of mind....

He isn't a rookie. He did this for three years in the largest TV market in the country. He doesn't need to adjust to stuff like that or if he does, we're already fuged anyway.

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He isn't a rookie. He did this for three years in the largest TV market in the country. He doesn't need to adjust to stuff like that or if he does, we're already fuged anyway.

...he sees ghost...get his azz in the game..