• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Darnold "coddled" ?

TheBigKat

Rhule said something in that camp confidential episode in that he’s going against sports science to rest, rest, rest and is harping on conditioning this camp and preseason because he wants to be the best conditioned team to get an advantage over others at the beginning of the season. I have no idea what that has to do with not playing starters in the preseason. I think game conditioning is different then conditioning workouts. He was talking about getting the metabolics on and running the poo out of them. 

We were sold on Darnold by Rhule saying that "he's basically a rookie". As insanely absurd as that statement was, it was also proven to be a half face lie in how Darnold has been handled this preseason. The "basically a rookie" is actually being treated like a seasoned All-Pro coming back from an injury. It's bizarre and baffling but the proof will be in the pudding. If it works, it'll look brilliant. If it doesn't, Rhule will absolutely deserve all the criticism that will come his way.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I literally cannot believe anyone bought into how insanely ridiculous that statement was. Pure BS.

It’s about as ridiculous as his reasoning for passing on Fields.  Well, a busted QB + Horn = 2.  2 > 1.   It’s just math guys. 

but I’m still searching for the NFL coach who is bitching about having too much talent at QB and how it set them back in their rebuild.  Imagine if he ended up with two good QBs.  We would never recover from that. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

It’s about as ridiculously as he reasoning for passing on Fields.  Well, a busted QB + Horn = 2.  2 > 1.   It’s just math guys. 

but I’m still searching for the NFL coach who is bitching about having too much talent at QB and how it set them back in their rebuild.  Imagine if he ended up with two good QBs.  We would never recover from that. 

I think they just didn't like Fields as a prospect and it just boiled down to that. All the Horns+Darnold/2^3 nonsense was just that, nonsense. They just didn't like him as a prospect.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think they just didn't like Fields as a prospect and it just boiled down to that. 

Who is they though?  

because I feel confident the offensive staff has not co-signed every pick the past two draft classes.    I doubt they are like, yeah, just keep going defense.  That seems like the better call over anything else you could do. 

I don’t doubt Rhule and the new GM preferred to take a DB though over Fields.  One has never been dependent on or seen good QB play as a HC….and the other is from the LOB era.  It’s why I thought they would pick Horn in the end.   

47 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

With joint practices being a big thing now, preseason games are even more irrelevant than previous.

It has more non football value than football value.

Fwiw, the main value of preseason games remains for bubble players and next for determining 2nd and 3rd string.

On topic, I've wanted to see more Darnold but him playing an extra series is not going to make or break his year.

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

This^

You guys need to let the Fields dream go. 

Yeah, we will have plenty of time to re-hash that issue if we are still dealing with QB issues and Fields is a star in 3-4 years. We may as well stop beating that dead horse until at least towards the end of this season. 

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

Who is they though?  

because I feel confident the offensive staff has not co-signed every pick the past two draft classes.    I doubt they are like, yeah, just keep going defense.  That seems like the better call. 

I don’t doubt Rhule and the new GM preferred to take a DB though over Fields.  One has never been dependent on or seen good QB play as a HC and the other is from the LOB era. 

I gotta be honest, the "they" isn't super relevant to me. It doesn't really matter what each individual person on the staff thinks, nor how much of the picks were Fitterer's, Rhule's, Tepper's or whoever's decision. They will all get some credit or blame depending on the result. We have no idea what the offensive staff thought of Fields or Darnold or whoever. Nor will we probably ever know.

That ship has long since sailed anyway. It just is what it is.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 2

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Who is they though?  

because I feel confident the offensive staff has not co-signed every pick the past two draft classes.    I doubt they are like, yeah, just keep going defense.  That seems like the better call. 

I don’t doubt Rhule and the new GM preferred to take a DB though over Fields.  One has never been dependent on or seen good QB play as a HC and the other is from the LOB era. 

"We" weren't the only ones not sold on Fields. He was picked 11th and the 4th QB taken. The Broncos, Giants, Lions and soon rebuilding Falcons all passed. Could he be great? Sure,  that's a real possibility. Was any pro scout as high on him as this fugging board? That seems pretty unlikely as half of you have already deemed him a franchise savior based on a couple of preseason games which really highlights the most important point of all.

Some of you seem to be putting WAY to much stock into the preseason. Seriously. The season is almost here. Can we chill on this nonsense that Darnold is being coddled and the coaches have no idea what they are doing and they suck at team building even though they seem to have picked 5+ contributors in the previous draft based on what we have seen, even though on draft day they were called idiots for trading back to much etc...

Can we just hold our judgement until at least ONE SINGLE regular season game has been played ffs or does everyone here just already know Darnold, Rhule, Snow, Brady etc all suck? Fug me lol.

• Pie 5

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

Fwiw, the main value of preseason games remains for bubble players and next for determining 2nd and 3rd string.

On topic, I've wanted to see more Darnold but him playing an extra series is not going to make or break his year.

Bingo! We have a winner.  For this team, and this team only as IDGAF what others do, the battles have always been to move up the depth chart.  You see it kinda goes like this, 3rd stringers have to earn reps on 2nd team, 2nd team have to earn reps with the 1st team and the 1st has to hold onto their spot.

I think you can determine rather quickly who is in danger of losing their spot on 1st team.  After that it's decided by game tape.

Darnold is starting no matter what. Just like CMC and the lot. 

• Pie 4

Preseason is not the big deal it's made out to be. 

More important right now to figure out which back up to keep. Pretty even toss up apparently.

Tbh, I don't like starters playing in games that don't matter and I'd rather they sat in preseason. This isn't because of Sammy. I've felt this way for years about preseason and the probowl.

• Pie 3