• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jags Trade Gardner Minshew to Philly

Proudiddy

3 minutes ago, Basbear said:

fug Sam Darnold feelings, if he is upset about adding talent to the QB room, maybe the NFL is not your sport. 

Not even joking if both Sam and Minshew arrive at the same time during the off-season and told to compete for the starting job.....Minshew wins eaaasyyy. Plus the cost for Darnold was 2nd, 4th and 6th???? Minshew an cond6th???? Pleaseee, its too easy, not to mention hes on the cheaper contract......Its advantage Minshew at every turn.

I don’t think it has anything to do with Sam’s  feelings….as much as it does with what Rhule would have to deal with in regards to the media and fans.   Maybe locker room too. 

Straight up, Menshew is a better QB right now than Sam. That would be a problem for Rhule.   He bet he could turn Sam into what some thought he could be. 

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I don’t think it has anything to do with Sam’s  feelings….as much as it does with what Rhule would have to deal with in regards to the media and fans.   Maybe locker room too. 

Straight up, Menshew is a better QB right now than Sam. That would be a problem for Rhule.   He bet he could turn Sam into what some thought he could be. 

I agree its Rhules feelings as well. Look if either Darnld or Minshew becomes thee "guy" so what about all the other stuff. You still won Rhule! I hope his ego it not that bad to the point of hes scared about adding competition to his hand picked players.....(which is one of his go-to statements), but hes a proven lair in talking to the press so......... I think they have had Darnold enough to know what he can do this year.....and that may cost some jobs at the end...

Darnold did not look ready, it looks like he needs a couple more PS games....same for OL....

42 minutes ago, Basbear said:

fug Sam Darnold feelings, if he is upset about adding talent to the QB room, maybe the NFL is not your sport. 

Not even joking if both Sam and Minshew arrive at the same time during the off-season and told to compete for the starting job.....Minshew wins eaaasyyy. Plus the cost for Darnold was 2nd, 4th and 6th???? Minshew an cond6th???? Pleaseee, its too easy, not to mention hes on the cheaper contract......Its advantage Minshew at every turn.

It's not a case of Sam's feelings.

It's a case of Rhule not wanting a QB controversy.  RHULE.   Not Sam.   RHULE.

So Rhule would say to you : "Fug YOUR feelings.  I'm the coach here for 7 years.  Deal with it."

1 minute ago, glenwo2 said:

It's not a case of Sam's feelings.

It's a case of Rhule not wanting a QB controversy.  RHULE.   Not Sam.   RHULE.

So Rhule would say to you : "Fug YOUR feelings.  I'm the coach here for 7 years.  Deal with it."

fug Rhules feelings as well!

38 minutes ago, CRA said:

Nailed it.   Rhule probably does not want to deal with that type of situation but at the same time, he could make it very clear to Minshew from the start that he's the backup and not to expect to start.

28 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I agree its Rhules feelings as well. Look if either Darnld or Minshew becomes thee "guy" so what about all the other stuff. You still won Rhule! I hope his ego it not that bad to the point of hes scared about adding competition to his hand picked players.....(which is one of his go-to statements), but hes a proven lair in talking to the press so......... I think they have had Darnold enough to know what he can do this year.....and that may cost some jobs at the end...

Darnold did not look ready, it looks like he needs a couple more PS games....same for OL....

What is a lair?   Is that where the 2nd-half of Sam's couch located?

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Nailed it.   Rhule probably does not want to deal with that type of situation but at the same time, he could make it very clear to Minshew from the start that he's the backup and not to expect to start.

What is a lair?   Is that where the 2nd-half of Sam's couch located?

image.jpeg.b0d8a5b8be3ac78eef8f686c74ed7a5c.jpeg

Steve Smith talks the way I type...

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1

People in here always complain about mediocrity and now are bummed we didn’t trade for Gardner Minshew? Really? Is there any chance you’re overvaluing a QB who was traded for a 6th rounder at the most important, coveted position in the NFL?

I thought it was “boom or bust” Darnold who will either get us in the playoffs or bomb badly enough to secure us a top 5 pick. Now all of a sudden we’re upset about losing out on the potential for a QB who could get us to an 8-9 record.

• Pie 3

7 hours ago, Ace420 said:

Yep. They can hold on the minshew and as soon as a good team has a qb go to IR, they can trade him for a 2nd and some change, no problem.

Dumb move by jaguars. Only reason I can think of would be cap issues, bit I don't care enough to look it up.

I believe he gets paid less than 1 million this year. It’s just a dumb move all around. 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

People in here always complain about mediocrity and now are bummed we didn’t trade for Gardner Minshew? Really? Is there any chance you’re overvaluing a QB who was traded for a 6th rounder at the most important, coveted position in the NFL?

I thought it was “boom or bust” Darnold who will either get us in the playoffs or bomb badly enough to secure us a top 5 pick. Now all of a sudden we’re upset about losing out on the potential for a QB who could get us to an 8-9 record.

1. You should be upset when you miss out on cheap opportunities to upgrade your team. 
2. Minshew has put up really solid numbers in his years with the Jaguars with much lesser talent than we have here. Far better numbers than Darnold. 
3. Just because the Jaguars have done something stupid doesn’t mean it was the correct move. 

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, Varking said:

1. You should be upset when you miss out on cheap opportunities to upgrade your team. 
2. Minshew has put up really solid numbers in his years with the Jaguars with much lesser talent than we have here. Far better numbers than Darnold. 
3. Just because the Jaguars have done something stupid doesn’t mean it was the correct move. 

I would’ve personally been pretty excited if we had traded a 6th for Minshew, since he’s clearly an upgrade over Grier/PJ. But that’s sorta my point…how many times have we heard on here the sentiment of: “I either want a QB good enough to get us to the playoffs or bad enough to secure us a top 5 pick”. Minshew is exactly the type of QB in the middle to give us 6-9 wins (nice) and leave us in QB purgatory when it comes time for the draft. Which I’m personally fine with, as I’m not one of those Huddlers who is perpetually looking towards the draft 5 games into the season.

For your other points: everyone and their grandmas knew the Jags were open to trading Minshew with the drafting of Lawrence. I would have to suspend all rational thought to accept that they could’ve gotten more than a 6th for him but chose to take the first offer and ship him to Philly. If they ultimately traded him for a 6th, then I’m pretty confident that’s what the league values him as…blaming the Jags for being stupid is irrelevant unless you’re suggesting they got better offers but took the worst one.

That’s why I’m saying you guys are overvaluing Minshew relative to the league. You hype up his stats and call him a good QB…but good, young QBs who have put up good numbers early into their careers don’t fetch 6th round picks. If NFL GMs thought as highly of him as us armchair GMs do, then the Jags’ phone would be ringing off the hook with offers a hell of a lot better than a 6th round pick.