• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jags Trade Gardner Minshew to Philly

Proudiddy

7 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I would’ve personally been pretty excited if we had traded a 6th for Minshew, since he’s clearly an upgrade over Grier/PJ. But that’s sorta my point…how many times have we heard on here the sentiment of: “I either want a QB good enough to get us to the playoffs or bad enough to secure us a top 5 pick”. Minshew is exactly the type of QB in the middle to give us 6-9 wins (nice) and leave us in QB purgatory when it comes time for the draft. Which I’m personally fine with, as I’m not one of those Huddlers who is perpetually looking towards the draft 5 games into the season.

For your other points: everyone and their grandmas knew the Jags were open to trading Minshew with the drafting of Lawrence. I would have to suspend all rational thought to accept that they could’ve gotten more than a 6th for him but chose to take the first offer and ship him to Philly. If they ultimately traded him for a 6th, then I’m pretty confident that’s what the league values him as…blaming the Jags for being stupid is irrelevant unless you’re suggesting they got better offers but took the worst one.

That’s why I’m saying you guys are overvaluing Minshew relative to the league. You hype up his stats and call him a good QB…but good, young QBs who have put up good numbers early into their careers don’t fetch 6th round picks. If NFL GMs thought as highly of him as us armchair GMs do, then the Jags’ phone would be ringing off the hook with offers a hell of a lot better than a 6th round pick. 

Minshew is clearly better than 90% of the entires leagues #2 QB. If teams knew they could have had him for a 5th or 6th round pick I am willing to bet most teams would have made that deal. I don't believe teams made offers to the Jags for Minshew other than Philly. The reasoning for this is that this is the worst possible time to trade Minshew away. During the draft or leading up to the draft would have gotten better offers. And now Lawrence has already been dinged up it would make more sense to keep it since he has another year left as well. 

If their official Twitter account tweeted out they were looking for a fourth for Minshew I am sure somebody would have offered at least a fifth with a condition to become a fourth. The Jaguars just do a lot of stupid things, including drafting a RB to play WR and bringing in The Golden Calf of Bristol to play TE, and doing silly things like splitting first team reps between Minshew and Lawrence all through camp only to move him now and citing the need to get Lawrence more reps as the reason they moved Gardner. They could have just kept him and gave him all second team reps instead of first. Nobody told them they had to split them. Their whole organization is a shitshow. 

2 minutes ago, Varking said:

Minshew is clearly better than 90% of the entires leagues #2 QB. If teams knew they could have had him for a 5th or 6th round pick I am willing to bet most teams would have made that deal. I don't believe teams made offers to the Jags for Minshew other than Philly. The reasoning for this is that this is the worst possible time to trade Minshew away. During the draft or leading up to the draft would have gotten better offers. And now Lawrence has already been dinged up it would make more sense to keep it since he has another year left as well. 

If their official Twitter account tweeted out they were looking for a fourth for Minshew I am sure somebody would have offered at least a fifth with a condition to become a fourth. The Jaguars just do a lot of stupid things, including drafting a RB to play WR and bringing in The Golden Calf of Bristol to play TE, and doing silly things like splitting first team reps between Minshew and Lawrence all through camp only to move him now and citing the need to get Lawrence more reps as the reason they moved Gardner. They could have just kept him and gave him all second team reps instead of first. Nobody told them they had to split them. Their whole organization is a shitshow. 

The phone goes both ways. I'm sure the Jags made calls from their end too before they took Philly's offer.

It's not about overvaluing Minshew it's more about the lack of confidence many fans have in the Panthers qb room overall outside Sam Darnold who is seeking to complete his first full season healthy behind a line that is a work in progress at best. If you don't want to be talking about the draft midway through the season then depth at the most important position will be a key focal point. But apparently we do not want to rock the boat or make Sam uncomfortable which is understandable but also has the potential to backfire. We'll see how it shakes out.

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The phone goes both ways. I'm sure the Jags made calls from their end too before they took Philly's offer.

I would agree if it weren't the Jags or the Jets. There is more value in keeping Minshew as a backup for this season and next in case Lawrence has to miss time again. 

16 minutes ago, Varking said:

I would agree if it weren't the Jags or the Jets. There is more value in keeping Minshew as a backup for this season and next in case Lawrence has to miss time again. 

Meh, some coaches want to handle their starting QB with kid gloves and don't want them feeling any pressure looking over their shoulder. I think we have one ourselves.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Meh, some coaches want to handle their starting QB with kid gloves and don't want them feeling any pressure looking over their shoulder. I think we have one ourselves.

It’s a growing concern of mine but in Darnold balls out then I’ll just try and ignore it. 

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I believe it's more along the lines of allowing Sam to rebuild his confidence, and to see how our coaches can develop him this season. The talent is there. But you, Luke so many, want instant results, and that's not how things work unless ya pay for a Brady, and already have the team to insert him into. 

1 hour ago, Varking said:

I mean…okay I guess? I genuinely don’t know how to argue against “Because Jaguars” lol. The argument that because they’ve made stupid decisions before (as every single organization has), that means they must necessarily have done everything in the sloppiest most incompetent way possible is a slam dunk I guess.

The T-e-b-o-w thing could have been more a publicity stunt than a “stupid football decision” and had virtually zero impact on their football operations anyways…he didn’t even make it past first cuts. Splitting first team reps between Minshew and Lawrence for all we know was them trying to butter Minshew up for a potential trade in the horizon…which, again, seems like teams didn’t bite. Do I think it was stupid of them to trade Minshew for a 6th rather than keep him? Yeah probably, but that has nothing to do with how other teams valued him. That just means he’s probably more valuable to the Jags than the 6th round pick they got for him.

4 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I mean…okay I guess? I genuinely don’t know how to argue against “Because Jaguars” lol. The argument that because they’ve made stupid decisions before (as every single organization has), that means they must necessarily have done everything in the sloppiest most incompetent way possible is a slam dunk I guess.

The T-e-b-o-w thing could have been more a publicity stunt than a “stupid football decision” and had virtually zero impact on their football operations anyways…he didn’t even make it past first cuts. Splitting first team reps between Minshew and Lawrence for all we know was them trying to butter Minshew up for a potential trade in the horizon…which, again, seems like teams didn’t bite. Do I think it was stupid of them to trade Minshew for a 6th rather than keep him? Yeah probably, but that has nothing to do with how other teams valued him. That just means he’s probably more valuable to the Jags than the 6th round pick they got for him.

We both acknowledge the Jags have moved him at a time where he is worth the least he can be right now. During the leadup to the draft or waiting for an injury early in the year would net you more for your asset than moving him during cut week. 

As far as The Golden Calf of Bristol... you dont need to pull publicity stunts in the NFL. He took legit reps away from guys who should have had a real shot to earn some looks. Nobody believed he was going to make the team. I don't believe for a second that Jacksonville reached out to every team to field offers on Minshew. 

No team has had a bigger fall from grace over the last few years than the Jaguars and most of the players who had left the team/been traded away have cited the higher ups and front office as the reasons they couldn't be there any longer. 

1 hour ago, pantherclaw said:

I believe it's more along the lines of allowing Sam to rebuild his confidence, and to see how our coaches can develop him this season. The talent is there. But you, Luke so many, want instant results, and that's not how things work unless ya pay for a Brady, and already have the team to insert him into. 

Well, we actually did pay for a Brady. He's at OC and he's already getting HC interviews. It'd be nice to capitalize on his talent before he inevitably jumps ship.