• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Final cuts: Surprise makes and cuts for the 53 man roster

45catfan

3 minutes ago, Sione Fua said:

Will Grier surprisingly looked much better than PJ and has a much higher ceiling. 

I always suspected it, and kinda scoffed a little bit when many jumped on Igo's thread about Grier being cut. IMO, Grier has shown marked development, whereas PJ has not. My mouth isn't a prayer book though, and I sometimes seem to take a harder if not harsher stance on some things than some--maybe take an it's-a-business approach more literally. 

One thing I like about Rhule and Fitterer is that they appear opportunistic regarding upgrading personnel when it makes sense from a value standpoint, but to me they take a longer than necessary time before making the "cutthroat" decisions sometimes. 

Let's hope a backup that moves them is cut, and allow Grier to continue to develop his game behind the scenes.

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I always suspected it, and kinda scoffed a little bit when many jumped on Igo's thread about Grier being cut. IMO, Grier has shown marked development, whereas PJ has not. My mouth isn't a prayer book though, and I sometimes seem to take a harder if not harsher stance on some things than some--maybe take an it's-a-business approach more literally. 

One thing I like about Rhule and Fitterer is that they appear opportunistic regarding upgrading personnel when it makes sense from a value standpoint, but to me they take a longer than necessary time before making the "cutthroat" decisions sometimes. 

Let's hope a backup that moves them is cut, and allow Grier to continue to develop his game behind the scenes.

Rhule will ride with PJ til they’re both on the unemployment line. 

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The final 53 isn't gonna be the FINAL 53. I think there's at least one LB and at least one OL on our final roster that isn't on our current roster. We're definitely gonna be shopping other teams' scraps.

Agreed.

I saw in another post where the OP said Rhule said our starting line would be those that we saw on the field Friday but that was misleading.

Rhule said "IF we play the Jets tomorrow that would be our starting 5.  We have 2 weeks before that game.  Our O-line will be different than what we saw Friday. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

PJ needs to learn touch.  His passes are usually on the mark, but he only throws fast balls.  Grier, while admitted looking better, still is not the answer if needed to be called into service as starter.  

50 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I like the zip he puts on the ball but I completely disagree about his accuracy.  That's, IMO, his biggest downfall. 

40 minutes ago, Sione Fua said:

Will Grier surprisingly looked much better than PJ and has a much higher ceiling. 

Other than making plays with his feet, PJ Walker hasn’t looked good to me this preseason. 

PJ Walker this preseason is 16-39(42%) for 252 yards with 1 TD and a QB Rating of 71.7 sacked 0 times

Will Grier this preseason is 22-31 for 221 yards with no passing TDs but 1 rushing TDs and a QB rating of 91.1. Sacked 4 times.

if we are going by preseason give me Grier. I don’t know how they looked in training camp as that might have an impact on who stays or who goes.

At the end of the day, we are trying find the shiniest piece of poo in a pile of poo. Even if we find the shiniest one, it is still poo.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Sione Fua said:

Surprisingly is the correct word and I disagree with Grier's ceiling, he's hit it.  PJ has had 1-year of full NFL experience, last year essentially being his rookie year.  He's not scared to push the ball down field either.  Grier plays scared. If he's got decent blocking, he's okay.  If he gets rattled by a hit, he turns into check-down mode.  If Darnold has to miss several games, Grier is not the answer.

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

You might want to listen to this.

Based upon this, I don't think Spencer is making the cut, but will be on the PS. Trenton Cannon will make the squad based on ST alone.

I had thought Omar Bayless would make it, but after listening to Rhule (who did NOT mention Omar)...Let's just say I don't remember Bayless standing out on ST (not to say that he didn't).

I think that there may be a little bit of a disconnect between what fans are seeing and looking for versus what coaches are looking for. And add in the fact that we aren't privy to practices and the dynamics of all the team building, and it may add to some disappointment.

I'd suggest not being overly disappointed...

Sounds like they really like Cannon

50 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Surprisingly is the correct word and I disagree with Grier's ceiling, he's hit it.  PJ has had 1-year of full NFL experience, last year essentially being his rookie year.  He's not scared to push the ball down field either.  Grier plays scared. If he's got decent blocking, he's okay.  If he gets rattled by a hit, he turns into check-down mode.  If Darnold has to miss several games, Grier is not the answer.

Neither is the answer but I’d rather have Grier. Grier has outplayed Walker in the preseason

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, BlitzMonster said:

All off-season I've assumed Ian Thomas would be cut due to his salary and relative underperformance.  

Now, however, I think Thomas could make it.  A double TE base formation would be a big help to the Panthers current shaky OL situation.   

Interesting note..

Panthers team site has Arnold and Thomas listed as 1st string LTE & RTE respectively...

Sounds like the coaches may agree with you.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, BlitzMonster said:

All off-season I've assumed Ian Thomas would be cut due to his salary and relative underperformance.  

Now, however, I think Thomas could make it.  A double TE base formation would be a big help to the Panthers current shaky OL situation.   

I was with you- 2.2 million for 3rd TE thats been meh at best, why??? Time to save a few bucks and maybe do another Ian Thomas experiment for 600,000 instead. Hes in that group of 5-8 that could be cut or stay for a day/two or stay for the whole year. I mean if hes cut, odds are no one claims him(wash, eh)..... what about practice squad? So rather than 2.2 mill its 200,000. 

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1