• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers waiver claims and practice squad signings

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Rocky Davis said:

I agree that I think the Panthers may show a lot of 2 TE sets, but that isn't going to help up the middle. 

Our interior needs some help, but I think you would agree we still went the route of piecemealing our O-line this year.  We have to invest with draft choices and free agents who are known commodities not other team's average to garbage depth or a vet who is coming off of an injury with question marks.

I'd love to see them in action before criticising. We're clearly going for a highly mobile / athletic Oline, so it's never going to look good in short yardage, 'road grader' situations. They're just not built for that. 

At the end of the day, if you're being pedantic, we added two first round talents to the Oline in the offseason. Now they haven't panned out yet in the NFL, but obviously our HC / GM / OC / OL coach have seen something in them where they think "Yeah, I can work with that". They're still knocking around after 4+ years so they obviously have NFL talent. 

High Draft picks are never guarantees - just look at how bad Sewell looks at the moment (I'm sure he'll turn it around at some point, albeit I suspect it might be at OG) and he was a 'generational' talent. 

Give them 4 games to gel / potentially tweak the lineup. If the Oline is bad after that then we can grab the pitchforks. 

Also a 2TE look is a matchup nightmare if you have... y'know, 2 good TEs. Nobody knew what to do when we rolled Shockey and Olsen out there. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Maybe that is why we picked up 240 lbs of RB (Freeman).  I dunno.  We could address the OL or just give it crutches.

The Saints D will expose us.

Mike Davis should have been resigned if they wanted a power-back. Team is not perfect, but I feel they have been making too miss-takes, even if they are smallish. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

I mean, there is no excuse for not finding a quality LG---LT is another story. 

I think we are going to use the TEs a lot to help, but they are not helping the middle that much.  Paradis and Elf need to get off those skates and actually beat some people.  Moton to LT and Christensen to RT sure sounds good.  Then put Jordan at LG--better than what we have now.

Can Brown make the switch from RG to LG?  Not today but is that even feasible at some point in the season?  If not, Michael Jordan, come on down!

Edited by bythenbrs

8 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Mike Davis should have been resigned if they wanted a power-back. Team is not perfect, but I feel they have been making too miss-takes, even if they are smallish. 

Mike Davis is making $5m over 2 years in Atlanta.

Freeman is making $970k this year for us.

We made out like bandits here. 

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Mike Davis is making $5m over 2 years in Atlanta.

Freeman is making $970k this year for us.

We made out like bandits here. 

I think davis is well worth the extra coin, unlike Elf over Reed. Davis had a great season in relief of CMC. He proved blocking, RECs, and long/short runs- complete RB and bargain for 5mill @2yrs 

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

They signed another TE to the PS, that bring the whole roster total to 7.....this confirms Finessereerer is in fact Sanjay...

No meme, but what the fug are they doing?

They obviously have a plan, and have more knowledge about the roster, and football in general than we do. 

53 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I'd love to see them in action before criticising. We're clearly going for a highly mobile / athletic Oline, so it's never going to look good in short yardage, 'road grader' situations. They're just not built for that. 

At the end of the day, if you're being pedantic, we added two first round talents to the Oline in the offseason. Now they haven't panned out yet in the NFL, but obviously our HC / GM / OC / OL coach have seen something in them where they think "Yeah, I can work with that". They're still knocking around after 4+ years so they obviously have NFL talent. 

High Draft picks are never guarantees - just look at how bad Sewell looks at the moment (I'm sure he'll turn it around at some point, albeit I suspect it might be at OG) and he was a 'generational' talent. 

Give them 4 games to gel / potentially tweak the lineup. If the Oline is bad after that then we can grab the pitchforks. 

Also a 2TE look is a matchup nightmare if you have... y'know, 2 good TEs. Nobody knew what to do when we rolled Shockey and Olsen out there. 

And Gronk/Hernandez for that matter. We likely will not see a team with 2 talented TEs like that for a while. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, OldhamA said:

I am not trying to summarily criticize them as they have only played in preseason games.  I will make a factual statement that the offensive line has not looked good in the preseason, if you disagree with me there we just have a difference of opinion.

Now, as you state we do have 2 first round talents and other O-Line veterans that will probably make up our offensive line and it's possible we haven't ran "our offense" that we will roll out in the regular season.  I agree that our offensive line are not "road graders" and we will run a lot of misdirection and edge type plays where hopefully that is our strength.  I will say that there will be situations when we do need to run up the middle and off tackle and our O-Line has not looked good in those areas.  Further, pass protection has been questionable.

I don't think my post condemned our O-Line and I am waiting until the regular season to see how things go.  I am frustrated that we haven't made moves to secure known O-Line commodities and even "high" draft picks that could be the next great O-linesman. 

As far as two TE sets go, I am all for them but Arnold isn't known for his blocking (although I can't comment fully on his ability), Thomas is not a good blocking tight end, Tremble is a rookie and may be a good blocking TE but he hasn't played an entire season against NFL DE talent, Ricci is really a fullback so may be best suited to line up as a 2nd TE but we will have to show he is capable of being an offensive threat.

Again, lots to be determined but don't take my post as a condemnation of our O-Line.  Take it more as frustration that we possibly could have a better potential O-line.