• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

State of the NFL

run-run-pass-punt

6 minutes ago, Toomers said:

I missed the part where they had to be specifically like Cam. I responded to what would a DC have to account for. The actual question YOU asked. 

You think OC don’t account for their “mobility” on every play? There are others on way. Lawrence, Fields, and Lance. 

See above.

If you don't have to commit defensive resources like a spy to stop them, I don't consider them a dual threat.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

See above.

If you don't have to commit defensive resources like a spy to stop them, I don't consider them a dual threat.

I did. Checked twice. You still said account for. You do realize that there are numerous other ways to combat a mobile QB without a spy? Did every team use a spy on Cam on every snap. No. No where close. Anyone discussed requires a defender to stay at home at least longer than usual. That’s the difference. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

I'll preface this by saying that I'm obviously a fan of the NFL, or I wouldn't be here. With that out of the way...

I'm sadly losing some of my interest in this sport due to the trends within the game itself. As an example, last night saw Dallas throw the ball 58 times while running only 18 times. Tampa passed 50 times while amassing 14 rushing attempts. I know most people love points and the passing game, and I do as well...to an extent. But I love balance far more. I know there will be outliers - defensive battles (or simply inept offenses), but the overall balance of the game itself has just tilted so far in one direction that I find myself experiencing the NFL as, gasp, boring much of the time. Surely change is a constant, but I really miss the days of football gone by. I'm sure I'm just an old man yelling at a cloud, but I can't be the only one here who is disenchanted with the current state of the game.

How do you fellow huddlers feel about the general state of affairs within the game of professional football?

Balance in all things period. I noticed that as well they just drop back hold most of the time, it gets called some of the time, and just throw the ball and then pass interference randomly or not pass interference randomly....this is NOT the way  to go.

• Beer 1

I enjoyed last night's game. But not because it was high scoring, or pass-filled, etc. Because it was FLUID.

It's weird, as a baseball fan first, I don't mind that game being slow. It's supposed to be. It's relaxing.

The NFL should not be relaxing or slow. I've lost interest over the years because the game is just boring. Commercials are the main culprit, but I'd much rather watch baseball than:

KICK RETURN

action stops

RUN PLAY OF 1 YD

action stops

RUN PLAY OF 5 YDS

action stops

INCOMPLETE PASS

action stops

PUNT + RETURN

commercial

PASS

action stops

INJURY

commercial

PASS

action stops

TD

commercial

KICKOFF

commercial

etc

The game just doesn't let you stay on the edge of your seat. It's very hard to watch a game these days. Thankfully, Brady and Dax were solid enough where drives were quick last night. That helps. Getting massive chunks of yardage per play keeps the action penned in and away from a LONG drive that may only result in a FG. The difference between that, and baseball, is that you may get 2 commercials during that long NFL drive, where as in MLB you can get a LONG innning without ONE commercial. It works.

8 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I enjoyed last night's game. But not because it was high scoring, or pass-filled, etc. Because it was FLUID.

It's weird, as a baseball fan first, I don't mind that game being slow. It's supposed to be. It's relaxing.

The NFL should not be relaxing or slow. I've lost interest over the years because the game is just boring. Commercials are the main culprit, but I'd much rather watch baseball than:

KICK RETURN

action stops

RUN PLAY OF 1 YD

action stops

RUN PLAY OF 5 YDS

action stops

INCOMPLETE PASS

action stops

PUNT + RETURN

commercial

PASS

action stops

INJURY

commercial

PASS

action stops

TD

commercial

KICKOFF

commercial

etc

The game just doesn't let you stay on the edge of your seat. It's very hard to watch a game these days. Thankfully, Brady and Dax were solid enough where drives were quick last night. That helps. Getting massive chunks of yardage per play keeps the action penned in and away from a LONG drive that may only result in a FG. The difference between that, and baseball, is that you may get 2 commercials during that long NFL drive, where as in MLB you can get a LONG innning without ONE commercial. It works.

Hmm... make millions... no billions of dollars by throwing commercials all over games.... or not make that money because fans (that will likely tune in to watch in some form or fashion) don't like it....

Well we know what they chose lol

But I definitely agree and i feel you.

Just gotta know that the nfl will only treat this like business. The things they do for "football" like adding flags/rules to keep players safe or other moves like adding a 17th game are still business moves at the end of the day. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's not enough of one.

Hell, Darnold can do that. Does that make him a run threat?

are you really going to argue that Darnold and Murray are the same threat running?

Darnold isn't immobile/statue-like, but he is pretty damn slow. Murray is anything but.

If you think teams gameplan for their abilities on the ground/running the ball the same way, you are absolutely wrong.

6 minutes ago, CarolinaLivin said:

Hmm... make millions... no billions of dollars by throwing commercials all over games.... or not make that money because fans (that will likely tune in to watch in some form or fashion) don't like it....

Well we know what they chose lol

But I definitely agree and i feel you.

Just gotta know that the nfl will only treat this like business. The things they do for "football" like adding flags/rules to keep players safe or other moves like adding a 17th game are still business moves at the end of the day. 

What's interesting is the "two minute drill". You don't usually get a commercial. And if you do, it's only one 30 sec spot. Time outs are usually kept on the field. The TMD is exciting! Fast! Fluid!

If the entire game could have the energy of the TMD ... well damn!

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

are you really going to argue that Darnold and Murray are the same threat running?

Darnold isn't immobile/statue-like, but he is pretty damn slow. Murray is anything but.

If you think teams gameplan for their abilities on the ground/running the ball the same way, you are absolutely wrong.

I'm trying to argue the standard for somebody being a real run threat.

There are plenty of guys that can be referred to as "capable runners" that don't particularly scare defensive coordinators.

Again, my threshold for a guy being considered a true run threat is you having to commit somebody specifically to stopping him.