• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold Thoughts After Game 1

mav1234

okay I don't know how we're all defining a "rare throw" but any time a ball travels >40 yards down field after a QB has to move around the pocket to deliver it? I'm gonna call it a rare throw.

we haven't had a QB that could slide into the pocket and deliver that kind of throw in, what, how many years?  Even Teddy's nice deep completion to Robby last year paled in comparison IMO.  Darnold let the ball go at like the 36 yard line and Robby caught it at like the 12.

I think Cam has made some posters underappreciate passes travelling >40 yards in the air, heh.

here's his passing chart from this week

Sam Darnold Week 1 Pass Chart

Edited by mav1234
  • Pie 7
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Tell me his completions on third down? 

Then tell us his conversions on third down.

If you call enough easy passes any QB can have a high completion percentage.

He was 56% on 3rd downs, not horrible.  Most of those misses were in the second half when we were still playing long ball with the jets D-line pinning their ears back.  I put that on the coaches, particularly Brady.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Dex said:

I liked what I saw. I had a few issues with the playcalling. But Sam did sail a few.

yeah he did.  

The missed TD pass to TMJ was the most glaring, imo.  

I was like "OOF!  DAMMIT!".

Hindsight being Hindsight, the final score should've been 26-14 but beggars can't be choosers.

Sam took care of the Football (Not blaming him on that fumble-handoff as I think that was more Ricci running into Sam's path when he was trying to do a hand-off to the RB), threw no picks nor did he throw any passes that Hit a DB in the hands like he did against the Steeler's during Preseason.

He was solid overall, though I think he has plenty of room for improvement.

Rhule is treating him like a rookie and that's a good thing as he's finally getting some real DEVELOPMENT as an NFL player.

Let's see what next week brings....

• Beer 3

That will be one of, if not the, longest TD pass in the NFL this week. Brady had a ball that traveled a few yards less in the air I think, but nobody else has come close.

edit: Wilson had a longer ball I think. Still... It was a great play.

Edited by mav1234

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

He was 56% on 3rd downs, not horrible.  Most of those misses were in the second half when we were still playing long ball with the jets D-line pinning their ears back.  I put that on the coaches, particularly Brady.

how many of them resulted in 1st downs?

was he throwing short of the sticks?

5 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

okay I don't know how we're all defining a "rare throw" but any time a ball travels >40 yards down field after a QB has to move around the pocket to deliver it? I'm gonna call it a rare throw.

we haven't had a QB that could slide into the pocket and deliver that kind of throw in, what, how many years?  Even Teddy's nice deep completion to Robby last year paled in comparison in terms of yardage traveled.  Darnold let the ball go at like the 36 yard line and Robby caught it at like the 12.

I think Cam has made some posters underappreciate passes travelling >40 yards in the air, heh.

here's his passing chart from this week

Sam Darnold Week 1 Pass Chart

So he was 4/12 on passes 10 yards downfield or more?

Not sure I'm ready to give him $30m a year yet.

I thought Sam played well enough to win.  He missed a few throws, didn’t see a few wrs… as any qb would.  He didn’t have a huge wtf moment tho… which is really what you want from who ever is under center when you have an emerging defense. 

The offense was off but it didn’t appear darnold was the main issue today. 

If Sam can limit the turnovers and play within himself (don’t let the things you can’t do get in the way of what you can do) they can win some games.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

3 of those were on the skills players. 

Dan Arnold (stopped on his route for some reason)
DJ Moore
TMJ (OPI play)

If we want to be accurate.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, AU-panther said:

not sure anyone is suggesting we pay him $30m a year yet (may have missed that).

but it is worth noting that at least 2 of those were drops, and a couple overthrows.  they can clean both those up.

if he can get a couple more seconds out of the OL I expect we could see better work deep.  I'm not saying he is a complete product but I think today was promising at least.

• Pie 3