• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold Thoughts After Game 1

mav1234

We’re a LT and LG away from being a legit team. 

If you watch the teams with good OL’s play today they’re moving the ball because of their line. Brady is stuck trying to get cute a lot of times when he shouldn’t have to. Brady doesn’t do himself any favors sometimes as well but we need an OL.

Sam played pretty damn well today. Missed a couple end zone throws but that was about it. Hung in there and made some tough throws while knowing he was going to get hit. 

Sam can be ‘the guy’ but like any QB, he needs proper protection.

Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Pie 5

57 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Lol 2nd or 3rd? I hope he's way better than that considering the best we ever had was average at best. A couple of them had a great year but we've never had a great QB. It would be nice if Darnold could consistently be a good one for 10 years or more. He's be our first in franchise history.

We have had a league MVP who holds league records, and Jake who had this team a John Kasay shank away from taking the 'filmed their practice' Patriots to OT in the Super Bowl. Jake was a good QB, Cam was a franchise QB who had injuries set him back.

If Darnold makes it past Jake all-time for this franchise it would be incredible.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

and that is my point, those are the types of throws that good QBs make more often than bad QBs. 

No QB makes them all of the time and no QB in the league misses them all of the time.  The good QBs do it a higher percentage of the time than the bad QBs do.  Its only one game so not fair to say which side he is on yet, but by the end of the season that is what we have to look at.

Throwing a bunch of each check downs to CMC doesn't mean you are a good QB.

Just quickly looking at game logs.

11 third downs where we attempted a pass.

6/11 completion percentage but only 3/11 on conversions.  Several throws short of the sticks.  Are we looking for a QB that we can win with if everything else goes good or a QB that can carry a team?

Teddy could have done what was done today.

Teddy would not be able to throw the ball to Robby like that.    JUST STOP.

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

it’ll be interesting to see how Sam does when we NEED him to make a big play. Same thing was said about Teddy last year. If he’s gonna be the guy he needs to make those plays for us.

That throw to Robby was a big play.  🤷‍♂️

48 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

okay I don't know how we're all defining a "rare throw" but any time a ball travels >40 yards down field after a QB has to move around the pocket to deliver it? I'm gonna call it a rare throw.

we haven't had a QB that could slide into the pocket and deliver that kind of throw in, what, how many years?  Even Teddy's nice deep completion to Robby last year paled in comparison IMO.  Darnold let the ball go at like the 36 yard line and Robby caught it at like the 12.

I think Cam has made some posters underappreciate passes travelling >40 yards in the air, heh.

here's his passing chart from this week

Sam Darnold Week 1 Pass Chart

Just look at ALL THE GREEN THERE with NO RED.  👍

41 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

So he was 4/12 on passes 10 yards downfield or more?

Not sure I'm ready to give him $30m a year yet.

No one is.  That's for Tepper to decide, not you.   Stop acting like it's your money.

29 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

He wasn't the unmitigated disaster some fans were hoping for so they're picking apart anything they can to save face. 

Nailed it.    They were so convinced that we would see the 2020 Darnold and when they did not get what they desired, they started nitpicking to try and salvage their sh-tty narrative. 

27 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

everyone has some dropped and bad routes.  You have to ask yourself how he played relative to other players.  Did he do stuff today better than average QBs would have done?  Would "élite" QBs have done better?

Tyrod Taylor 6/12 on 10+ yards

Tyrod Taylor Week 1 Passing Chart | NFL Next Gen Stats

I'm not saying Sam played terrible, my point is you have to look past the stat line when evaluating a QB, and yes, this year is a basically a $30+ million dollar a year audition for Sam.  The team is trying to find a franchise QB, personally I'm not convinced this week tells us much.

That's actually what you're saying, though.   Or at least it sounds like you want him to be viewed as "terrible" by others here so you can be "right".

10 minutes ago, jopie87 said:

We have had a league MVP who holds league records, and Jake who had this team a John Kasay shank away from taking the 'filmed their practice' Patriots to OT in the Super Bowl. Jake was a good QB, Cam was a franchise QB who had injuries set him back.

If Darnold makes it past Jake all-time for this franchise it would be incredible.

Sam would have to stick around for more than 2 years, though, which means he would have to be re-signed.

which means he, hopefully, continues to get better and more efficient.

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 3

3 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

why is everyone freaking out over darnold?   It’s an experiment.  No one has hitched their wagon to his star.  He is under contract for his 5th year option next year.  If he blows they can move on and they will prob be in position to pick a qb.  

With all due respect, CB, have you not read the thread at all?

No one is "freaking out over darnold".

It's just one poster doing all he can to downplay whatever solid performance Sam had.

Edited by glenwo2

6 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

With all due respect, CB, have you not read the thread at all?

No one is "freaking out over darnold".

It's just one poster doing all he can to downplay whatever solid performance Sam had.

Fair enough… why is HE freaking out over darnold then?  

sam was pretty good today.  We will see how it goes.  

Edited by CBDellinger
  • Pie 2

8 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Or some fans just want him to fail so they can stand on their soapbox and say "I told you so".   Right, AU-Panther? 🙄

Wrong.  I would love for Sam to succeed.

I've said from the start that he definitely has the tools to be successful.  I've also said that expecting a player to become something he hasn't shown to be in recent history is a gamble that you usually end up losing, look at Kalil and Teddy.

I would love for Sam to be the exception, and when deciding if he can truly be a franchise QB you have to look past the box score, I'm not sure why that is so hard for people to understand.

Elite QBs make your team better than most other QBs, today didn't really tell us that. Most of what he did well today most other QBs in the league could do.  He made a few nice throws, he also missed a few throws. 

The game plan was defientaly designed to make life easy for him.  What happens when we play a good team and we need to score 28?  Can he consistently convert enough third downs to make that happen?  He didn't today.  He converted 3/11 when asked to pass on third down.  Can he push the ball down the field?  He really didn't today, he was 3-12 past 10 yards, everyone is so caught up on the one deep pass to Robby they don't realize that.

3 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

Fair enough… why is HE freaking out over darnold then?  

sam was pretty good today.  We will see how it goes.  

Because he likes being a Negative Nancy or Contrarian? (case in point : See above reply by him to me) 🤷‍♂️

I don't know how that person's mind works.

All I do know is that, yes.  Sam WAS pretty good today though he could be better so with that said :

ON TO GAME 2!!  👍

Edited by glenwo2

Okay..I went back and looked at the throw to Robby...

How the FUG does ANYONE HERE believe that ball was Underthrown? 🤦‍♂️

Are you f'n kidding me with that sh-tty take??

That ball was on-target with Robby having 2 steps ahead of both Jets defenders!!

WTF, man?

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 1

The staff wants to treat him like a rookie and the play designs show that. IF we want him to fix his issues I think our staff wants to slow it down for him first (that’s where the check down/safe throws come in).  I’ll take a few high passes over a pick all day. The red zone offense still needs some work, but it should get better with practice and reps. 

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Okay..I went back and looked at the throw to Robby...

How the FUG does ANYONE HERE believe that ball was Underthrown? 🤦‍♂️

Are you f'n kidding me with that sh-tty take??

That ball was on-target with Robby having 2 steps ahead of both Jets defenders!!

WTF, man?

It was a great throw. Robby did have to slow down his stride which is no big deal. People claiming it was underthrown are probably referencing Robby slowing down. If he didn’t have his guy beat so bad that slowing down could have prevented a TD. However Darnold was under pressure and got the ball where it needed to be which led to a TD. Looks like a great throw to me.

• Pie 1