• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

top-10 defense?

AU-panther

Don’t know who the good offenses are yet this year but I wouldn’t say the Jets or Saints are powerhouses. I had a feeling Jameis was gonna be ass in this game and started the panthers defense in all my fantasy leagues. Jameis always plays like dick against the Panthers anyway. He hasn’t changed. 

I guess the best offense the Panthers face this year is the Bucs but overall the schedule isn’t super daunting. Defense could end up top 10 end of year for sure.

27 minutes ago, t96 said:

2013 was an all time great D, we were just barely behind the Seahawks who are regarded as an all time great D and I'd argue we were a better D then them that season outside of the first month which dropped us a bit in the full season stats (their O was just way better which is why the strolled to a SB win and we dropped the 49ers playoff game).

The front 7 in 2013 was just absolutely insane. Hardy had one of the best years from a pass rusher I've ever seen -- dude was elite as a pass rusher, elite dropping back into coverage and elite in run support. CJ was elite as well until the Pats cheap shotted him with a leg whip and he missed some time, but he was still great when he came back and played through the injury. Star and KK were great too as were the other DL. Luke, TD and Blackburn/Klein was arguably the one of the greatest 4-3 LB groups ever, Luke and TD were both absolutely incredible. The secondary on paper wasn't good but Mitchell, Munnerlyn, Florence and Mikell were rock solid veterans and UDFAs Melvin White and Robert Lester balled out that year too. Rivera and McD coached the hell out of that D too

I absolutely agree our secondary this year is much better on paper than 2013, but our front 7 is nowhere near that level right now and 2013 overall was still considerably better than I expect we'll be this year. Of course, there's still plenty of room and time for this D to prove themselves as good or better than 2013. But it won't be easy. That 2013 D was just so friggin good.

Star and KK were good but they hadn't peaked yet. I'll take a 2nd year Derek Brown over a 2nd year Star or KK.  Can't argue Luke or TD but Blackburn and Klein were just two guys. 

I think 2015 with Norman and crew was the best secondary we ever had, but I think this unit's secondary is close, combined with the pass rushing dominance similar to 2013 I think gives them the edge. But a lot of games to play we shall see. 

Edited by Pantherxtreme

15 minutes ago, stbugs said:

This. Who’s the best WR we’ve faced? An UDFA? It makes pressure much easier when the best player we’ve faced is Kamara. Next week we’ve got Ingram, Davis Mills and Cooks. I like our chances but we’ll learn about our D against a legit offense in week 4 against Dallas. Our 1st 8 games are much easier than the last 9. Dallas will definitely be a better indicator of end of the year.

That said, they’ve been extremely good this year and the future is very bright. 

Corey Davis had just under 1k yards last year. The difference between this defense and the last two years is we are getting to the QB much more often so far. That makes it much easier for the DBs to stay with their guys when plays are over in 4 seconds. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

Don’t know who the good offenses are yet this year but I wouldn’t say the Jets or Saints are powerhouses. I had a feeling Jameis was gonna be ass in this game and started the panthers defense in all my fantasy leagues. Jameis always plays like dick against the Panthers anyway. He hasn’t changed. 

I guess the best offense the Panthers face this year is the Bucs but overall the schedule isn’t super daunting. Defense could end up top 10 end of year for sure.

This wasn’t on jameis tbf. This defense is playing elite football.

• The D 1

12 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Welp, I missed him and he was 5-97 and 2 TDs so maybe we shouldn’t get too excited because he’s good but he’s not close to elite. I know Julio is gone but last year we faced Julio, Thomas, Ridley, Evans and Godwin and they are all better than Davis.

Davis had 2 receptions for 8 yards against NE.

I still think it stands that we really haven’t been stressed in the secondary and that also does the reverse, helps our guys get to the QB.

I’m not saying we aren’t a good D, just that Davis week 1 and Kamara week 2 is all we faced so far. It’s akin to people saying Bridgewater is the best QB in the NFL after facing two of the worst Ds in the league. Look at what Heinecke did to the Giants. Denver has maybe one of the easiest first 3 games ever, especially on offense. Giants, Jax and Jets. We’ll see week 4 how real that is. Same with our D. Cooks is better but Davis Mills will start. Week 4 is Dallas so our D will get to show if we are a for real top 5 D or just a good D. We are still so young that it’s not a bad thing and they’ve done what Teddy has done, played the games they got and played very well.

They shut Davis down, not so much the Jets rushing attack as they gave up 152 yards on the ground whereas we only allowed 45 against the Jets. 

18 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Welp, I missed him and he was 5-97 and 2 TDs so maybe we shouldn’t get too excited because he’s good but he’s not close to elite. I know Julio is gone but last year we faced Julio, Thomas, Ridley, Evans and Godwin and they are all better than Davis.

Davis had 2 receptions for 8 yards against NE.

I still think it stands that we really haven’t been stressed in the secondary and that also does the reverse, helps our guys get to the QB.

I’m not saying we aren’t a good D, just that Davis week 1 and Kamara week 2 is all we faced so far. It’s akin to people saying Bridgewater is the best QB in the NFL after facing two of the worst Ds in the league. Look at what Heinecke did to the Giants. Denver has maybe one of the easiest first 3 games ever, especially on offense. Giants, Jax and Jets. We’ll see week 4 how real that is. Same with our D. Cooks is better but Davis Mills will start. Week 4 is Dallas so our D will get to show if we are a for real top 5 D or just a good D. We are still so young that it’s not a bad thing and they’ve done what Teddy has done, played the games they got and played very well.

I agree with you my brother. We haven't faced elite offenses yet but we have done exactly what we needed to do to show we are improving over last year. Good teams handle teams like we have faced and don't get upset. We are winning the games we should expect to win. Looking forward to seeing more. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

They gave up 6, so they picked their poison. NE always seems to have a good secondary and my statement was really more about Davis. Davis as the primary weapon doesn’t scare any Ds. Week 4 is going to be our first real test. We’ve played well and I expect us to play well on Thursday but Wilson, Winston, Mills, Davis, Kamara and Cooks isn’t Brady and Tampa or Murray and Arizona. We will be tested by Dallas and I think it will give us good insight into how quickly the young guys have grown. They’ve been stellar so far.

I mean yea those are better teams. 

But based on the small sample size the Panthers have looked like one of best defenses in the league. Pitching 2 shutouts in the first half of both games is rare to do in the NFL regardless of who you play. 

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

Why you always lying???? That is not what you said all week.

7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

He’s impressed me. Again, will be interesting to see the D against better offenses. Will Reddick be able to rush as much against Dallas or will he be in more coverage? Not sure, but he’s played well.  The entire DL and LBers has looked solid.

I agree.

"If" he were to keep up his 1.5 sack per game average, he could actually hit 20+ this year. It's just unrealistic to expect him to sustain that amount of production the entire season. 

But coming from a guy who had 12.5 last year and put up 5 in one game, I think it might be possible. A little improbable but possible. 

Edited by ColumbusCounty