• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What does the Henderson trade mean for Donte and Jaycee?

t96

Just now, Zod said:

Donte could be an all pro nickel if thats what they have in mind for him. 

I remember at his first training camp as a rookie while the kids were getting autographs from the stars I was talking to Donte a bit at the fence at Wofford. I recall talking about 2 things

1 him taking on Funchess and that matchup/who was winning it (he had some good trash talk about how despite the size different he was schooling Funch).

2 outside vs. slot corner. He very adamantly stated without hesitation that's he's outside all day and isn't a slot corner. Seemed very passionate about this fact at the time.

Now, that was 3 years ago and things can change or he could've just been an overly confident rookie saying whatever was on his mind to some random fan. But point is, I don't think Donte would re-sign here to be a full time nickel corner. And I think that's fair, he can absolutely hold his own on the outside and probably does belong there. It may come down to how well Snow can scheme and move these guys around to keep all 3 happy if we do keep Donte, as Horn will obviously be mostly outside, not sure about CJ but on the surface his skill set is also for the outside.

Bouye was brought in to be the nickel this year for a reason too.

18 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Means more for Jackson than it does for Jaycee. Jackson either slides to nickel next season or they let him walk. Going to depend how Henderson looks this year. 

It makes me concerned that they’re covering their bases in case Jaycee’s injury is career altering. They saw a corner that was available with very similar raw skills to Jaycee and made it happen. Could mean nothing…could eventually mean something. But I’m glad Fitterer is being proactive instead of just hoping for the best. Which is what previous execs would have done. 

• Pie 1

What this means to Donte is completely up to him.  The Panthers now hold all the cards, assuming Henderson works out.

If Donte wants to be here and make this his home for a reasonable price, we know the Panthers would love to have him.  On the other hand, if he ties to take them to the cleaner, we can simply walk away and tell him "Good luck, we'll roll with Jaycee and CJ". 

You can never have too many good players, but you can pay too much for them.  Hopefully this is our way of getting ahead of the game.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Peppers90 NC said:

In my mind the Horn injury will affect us more than CMC, so this could be a great move if he can stay healthy and reach his potential. Our defense is what will make us a contender, and losing Horn is huge. So far he has proven to be the right pick.

I completely agree with this. The CMC injury hurt, but we have other weapons and ways to scheme around the loss. After Horn went down there were questions on whether we would have to change our scheme defensively. Which is far more impactful IMO. CMC was not going to win us playoff games. This defense though is another story. We could have beaten the Saints with 3 FGs. LOL!

*CMC coming back to an offense that started meshing without him....

Heidi Klum Wow GIF by Lifetime

• Pie 1

The analysis on this defense is that they are FAST. Everyone is flying around to the ball. An average DB with ball skills can do well in a defense with the kind of pass rush that we have. He's strong. He's fast. He's not the dog that Jaycee is. But can he contribute with with Donte, AJ, Burris and Chinn? Absolutely! This is Big. 

2 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

It makes me concerned that they’re covering their bases in case Jaycee’s injury is career altering. They saw a corner that was available with very similar raw skills to Jaycee and made it happen. Could mean nothing…could eventually mean something. But I’m glad Fitterer is being proactive instead of just hoping for the best. Which is what previous execs would have done. 

A broken foot can linger on for years so that definitely could be the case. This allows Jaycee the time to heal before coming back. 

1 minute ago, cardiackat88. said:

You are like, jaded by years of AWFUL GMs.

I am thinking Fitty will wheel and deal him for something, no way he just walks.

I dunno, not that Jackson is a bad player or anything. But I have a feeling this might be his career season. He’s been a bit injury prone in his career. Feels a lot like Curtis Samuel all over again. He could definitely re-sign but I wouldn’t be surprised if they let him go.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I dunno, not that Jackson is a bad player or anything. But I have a feeling this might be his career season. He’s been a bit injury prone in his career. Feels a lot like Curtis Samuel all over again. He could definitely re-sign but I wouldn’t be surprised if they let him go.

Indeed, I have said this repeatedly.

Both are like grade "B" players and have their moments but don't really seem like the kind of guys you want to commit to long-term, especially for a high price investment into the next few years. Even more so when they have been mediocre their whole careers then put up big during contract years.