• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A critique of Darnold through 4 games

LinvilleGorge

13 minutes ago, Monrowed said:

Honestly unless the bottom falls out of the season we are not going to be position to draft one. So which free agent should we target?

The upcoming QB draft class is absolutely garbage.  We could be picking #1 and sticking with Darnold would still make the most sense.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Another positive? He didn't fumble today. That's something he needed to work on. He didn't even come close to fumbling today. That's an improvement.

He has 9 TDs on the season. Only 4 through the air, but 5 on the ground. Honestly, I don't care how the ball is crossing the goalline just that it's crossing the goalline. 9 TDs through 5 games equates to 38 on a 17 game season. I'll take that all day long.

If your gonna make an argument at least get his TDs right he has 5 passing and 5 rushing TDs

5+5=10

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Are you saying he hasn't done anything?

Nothing to impress me. He has been playing okay. But whenever I watch him I feel like I am watch a ticking time bomb. 
His passing has been good 300 yards in 3 games isn’t anything to scoff at. I do wish he would throw more TDs. Some people may be happy with rushing TDs on a QB but   in 2015 I was more happy with Cams 30 TDs then his rushing TDs. Darnold is a QB after all not an RB. Also those INTs and the possible 3rd INT just reeked of Jets Darnold. 
(Yes QBs can have bad games, but Darnold doesn't get that excuse for right now.)
This game made me put my Darnold support back on the shelf for now and I don’t think I will be pulling back out for a while. 

• Poo 1

Yes, the oline sucks and we had been winning games in spite of it. Still, the Panthers have to go out each week for the next 13-14 weeks and play to win football games. We will win some and we will lose some. Hopefully we are good enough to make the playoffs and maybe win a game. We are in the second year of a rebuild and the way I see it is that we are playing with house money as no one expected them to really be competing this year. Next year we should correct the oline and with that Sam will have another year in the system. A second year and an improved oline should give a better indication of where Sam really is.

Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Another positive? He didn't fumble today. That's something he needed to work on. He didn't even come close to fumbling today. That's an improvement.

He has 9 TDs on the season. Only 4 through the air, but 5 on the ground. Honestly, I don't care how the ball is crossing the goalline just that it's crossing the goalline. 9 TDs through 5 games equates to 38 on a 17 game season. I'll take that all day long.

I would prefer my QB had more passing then running. Not a fan of all these designed runs for Darnold. He is my Cam. He is gonna get hurt. 

• Pie 1

My problem with this type of analysis is the ultra focus on every throw.. Without having the ability to scan and make a comparison with the league... As a fan (like we did with Cam) we critic every throw like nobody misses open WR's are has overthrown or underthrown balls.

Example..

Matt Stafford missed the wide open deep pass to D Jax 3x in the Tampa game.. Before hitting it on the 4th time... Nobody critics the 3 misses.. 

Deep passing and hitting the correct read.. Depends on Oline play, familiarity with the system and reps with your weapons.. All the things Sam doesn't have yet..

If we can step back and remember this is a reclamation project still.. We didn't get a finished product when trading for Sam... We got a damage player that we have to breakdown and re teach how to be a NFL Qb.. This guy is still younger then Joe Burrow and only a 2 years older then the rookie Qb drafted this year... The fact that he is this far so early in this project is a win in my book... And in reality all critics need to come with caveat of the situation and the player contextualize level in this development stage he's in.. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

You can keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. Sam has been an NFL QB for almost 4 years. If I kept making excuses like that in my job I’d get fired due to incompetence. 
Sam may or may not get better or it is just who he is. 
Eventually people are gonna need to stop making excuses. 
But Sam still has 13 more games to do something but I have a feeling he is who he is. A QB that flashes occasionally but for the most part isn’t a long term starter. 

Don’t bother this forum has its homer glasses on already. They crowned Kyle Allen after 2 games, crowned Teddy after a month.

The Teddy and Sam similarities are insane when you take a close look at it. Both are currently playing in teams loaded with weapons and great defenses both fanbases are already crowning then the franchise even though they haven’t prove to a damn thing. Even their stats look the same. Both 3-1

Teddy last year was 4-0 when the defense held the opposing team under 21, this year Sam is 3-0 in the same circumstances. Teddy actually played with a worst line, no mccaffrey, and a bad defense. So today Sam got a taste of what Teddy dealt with all of last year. Theirs no doubt in my mind we would be 3-1 with Teddy, they are basically running the same training wheel offense.

• Pie 5
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I would prefer my QB had more passing then running. Not a fan of all these designed runs for Darnold. He is my Cam. He is gonna get hurt. 

Doesn't matter to me. TDs are TDs. Most of them have been walk-ins because despite him continuing to be an effective red zone runner teams through today still aren't respecting it. I fully expect that to start changing, but like I said that should help to open up other opportunities.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

My problem with this type of analysis is the ultra focus on every throw.. Without having the ability to scan and make a comparison with the league... As a fan (like we did with Cam) we critic every throw like nobody misses open WR's are has overthrown or underthrown balls.

Example..

Matt Stafford missed the wide open deep pass to D Jax 3x in the Tampa game.. Before hitting it on the 4th time... Nobody critics the 3 misses.. 

Deep passing and hitting the correct read.. Depends on Oline play, familiarity with the system and reps with your weapons.. All the things Sam doesn't have yet..

If we can step back and remember this is a reclamation project still.. We didn't get a finished product when trading for Sam... We got a damage player that we have to breakdown and re teach how to be a NFL Qb.. This guy is still younger then Joe Burrow and only a 2 years older then the rookie Qb drafted this year... The fact that he is this far so early in this project is a win in my book... And in reality all critics need to come with caveat of the situation and the player contextualize level in this development stage he's in.. 

That's why I went and looked up the stats. I wanted to see if my knee jerk reactions watching games were accurate. The stats suggest they probably were.