• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold will be good or JAG based upon his ability/willingness to go through his progressions

top dawg

Sam Darnold has done some impressive things, especially when juxtaposed against the beginning of his pro career as a Jet. But, he's also showing signs that he is not a legitimate franchise QB, but a decent backup. 

Sure, he doesn't have optimal protection, but the O-line is protecting him enough to enable him to make better decisions with the ball. Sam also has more than enough weapons that he shouldn't feel compelled to throw into double coverage, and if that's not bad enough, he doesn't even try to fool the defensive backs, he just stares down one receiver--usually D.J. Moore--and is hellbent on getting that receiver the ball. If he can't figure out to meaningfully go through his progressions, Sam Darnold will never be a legit starter in the NFL. 

I know that people want to treat him like he's a rookie, but he's not. He should be able to use his eyes to scan the field, look off defensive backs, double clutch and generally just do the things that high quality starters can do in this league. If he can't do these basics--which admittedly is still a question--then the Panthers need to acquire someone that can.

Edited by top dawg
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

Offensive line is not "protecting him enough" idk if he's made one pass this game not under pressure. Wide receivers are unable to get open. I credit phillys defense but Sam is being put in an impossible situation 

Excuses excuses! Sam has not only stared down receivers that weren't open, he's missed wide open receivers. He has had time enough, he just hasn't made the best decisions.

Edited by top dawg

7 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

Offensive line is not "protecting him enough" idk if he's made one pass this game not under pressure. Wide receivers are unable to get open. I credit phillys defense but Sam is being put in an impossible situation 

Yes the oline needs massive improvement but Sam has had a number of turnovers that are finally biting us in the ass and that can't continue either. It's weak that you are so emotionally connected you can't talk about or acknowledge this without pooping posts.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

I agree, but some things should be automatic at this point.

It's not automatic when you can't get a rhythm. The interior of this line is the worst I can ever remember the Panthers fielding. Hurney poo the bed in 2019 with the Little and Grier picks. McCoy was the obvious pick but we chose to ride with Paradis.

People don't understand what they're looking at and this post shows. Not trying to be an ass here. Let me explain.

From my watching alone, it seems Brady has a few different levels of passing. One is the quick hitting route combos that are 1-2 reads or dump. Designed for a specific guy. Then there are the intermediate plays that depend on a levels or flood concept. Then there are the deeper concepts that take longer. Mind you, this is basically every team.

Now, yes, on the intermediate and deep plays, you would like your QB to be able to throw his eyes back and forth, turn his head even so the safeties bite. Give the impression that you're NOT waiting on a route combo to develop, and bring your eyes back. The elite do this very well. Sam Darnold is not elite. Which is OK. He isn't expected to be to be a franchise QB. Most QBs are not elite. Most are Sam Darnold. They might make a couple more flashy plays per game, but they have the same limitations.

Sam is 100% being hindered behind this OL. As was Cam, as was Teddy. This is obvious. Anybody can see it. Sam does not have time to get beyond read number 2 more times than not, and more than once this game he hasn't been able to get through the first read.

Now Sam has thrown a couple questionable balls this game and those ended in turnovers. He does have to be better. But I'm not sounding the horn on it and calling him washed because of it. From my perspective, he's trying to make something happen. Still ill advised, still not the play to make. However, Favre types have made a career out of that style of play.

When most say "staring down receivers", I take it with a grain of salt because it's often just watching the primary read before moving on. Again, elite QBs don't do that often and that is partly why they're elite. Sam should learn that skill, but I don't anticipate that he will because most don't do it consistently. It's like expecting every receiver to run the absolute best technique on routes (power out of the hole, run every route like it's a go, stick every cut hard without showing it's coming). Most receivers don't. This offensive line is simply not going to allow Sam to develop that and until that gets addressed, I'm good using a hockey stat of +/- to judge his performance. Did he do more good than harm. I'd say in this game, he's even. Most games? He's been + and it isn't even close. And no, it's not about TD/int ratio.