• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Very Discouraged By Rhule and His Comments After the Game

Proudiddy

5 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

All he said was if we have the lead in the 4thQ the defense should hold the lead.

"I really think you know you guys have asked me a lot about the third quarter i can promise you I think about it just as much as you guys do too you know it's like it's driving me nuts....we've got to
play better in the second half"

Penalties, bad throws, interceptions, dropped balls, a blocked punt killed us in the second half.  Those aren't scheme related.   Rhule didn't scheme the blocked punt.  Now the protection issues were exacerbated scheme and that I put on Brady.

To argue that we should have run the ball less ignores what was happening in the game, because we could move the ball running it.

You could argue at the end of the first half he should have gone for a first or gone for the field goal on 4th down, but had it failed it would have made it even easier for Phily to get 3 points, which they proceeded to do.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Yeah, but you don't know what his idea of "4 quarters of football" is, because he also immediately defended the offense after the game on Sunday and said we moved the ball well and scored a FG in the second half.  That tells me his mindset isn't to go down and score a TD every time we possess the ball in the 2nd half.  There is a clear shift in mentality from the first and second half, offensively and it is because he relies heavily on the defense.

Notice how different the offense looked when Dallas went up 22 points?  Yeah.  I wouldn't read too much into what he says to the media.

Well hopefully he won't put the interceptions, penalties and blocked punts in the playbook for the second half this week.

14 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

"I really think you know you guys have asked me a lot about the third quarter i can promise you I think about it just as much as you guys do too you know it's like it's driving me nuts....we've got to
play better in the second half"

Penalties, bad throws, interceptions, dropped balls, a blocked punt killed us in the second half.  Those aren't scheme related.   Rhule didn't scheme the blocked punt.  Now the protection issues were exacerbated scheme and that I put on Brady.

To argue that we should have run the ball less ignores what was happening in the game, because we could move the ball running it.

You could argue at the end of the first half he should have gone for a first or gone for the field goal on 4th down, but had it failed it would have made it even easier for Phily to get 3 points, which they proceeded to do.

Great points, but again, it goes back to philosophy.  We've seen these type of teams before under Fox and Rivera...  and that first half decision was a prime example - as you said, if we failed to convert, it would have made it easier to score their 3 points.  Well, if they were going to score it anyway, why not go for it?  What did we have to lose?  And my main issue at this point is Charlton is not a weapon.  Even if I want to play it conservatively, he doesn't help me because his punting is atrocious.  He isn't giving us an advantage in field position, so just go for it...  we'd only have been spotting them 20 yards at that point.  Same with the Fake FG Punt.  It reeked of conservative, "I'm gonna rely on my defense to win it" mentality.  He says he was to figure out the issues, but does stuff like that, and that is what really bothers me.

• Pie 2

On 10/10/2021 at 6:03 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, I think I saw the coaching staff's confidence in Darnold crack today and the back breaking final INT might just reinforce that. We really took the ball out of his hands when we were desperately trying to hang on before the Eagles took the lead.

IMHO Against the number 31 defense against the run, they should have taken it out a lot sooner 

4 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Well hopefully he won't put the interceptions, penalties and blocked punts in the playbook for the second half this week.

😂😂😂

I get what you're saying, but all of those things were possible because of how we played leading up to those moments.

3 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I have felt like there is an element of this going back a few weeks.  But, even before the rash of injuries, it seems if we have the lead at the half, Rhule feels thats enough of one that we should sit on it and rely on the defense to shut down the opposing offense to preserve the win.  This is also why I think he's conservative about making any adjustments for the second half as well, because if we execute what he plans, we can just chew the clock. 

He has to expect and want more from his offense in the 2nd half.  If we have any semblance of a 3rd quarter the last two weeks, we are 5-0 right now.  It is a fatal flaw that has to be addressed.

So you're telling me that our oline's performance has had nothing to do with that? 

I have a difficult time blaming the HC, Brady,  or even Sam on the offensive failures. 

Until the interior of our oline is playing better, the rest is a moot point. 

Our starting tackles from the beginning of the hasn't been the issue. It's been the injuries and lack of execution on the interior of the oline. 

I'm not making excuses Especially when the coaches themselves are saying that they need to coach better it's better, but but the online and specifically the interior of it is is it offensive issues you fix those and I promise you are offense will get greatly better better.

• Beer 2

9 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I don't think this is going to happen though. The players we have started there aren't talented. Getting Eflein back and trying Brown are about the only way the interior is going to improve. It's not going to be Daley and Miller or Paradis. They are what they are.

Edited by Fox007
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

So you're telling me that our oline's performance has had nothing to do with that? 

I have a difficult time blaming the HC, Brady,  or even Sam on the offensive failures. 

Our starting tackles from the beginning of the hasn't been the issue. It's been the injuries and lack of execution on the interior of the oline. 

I'm not making excuses Especially when the coaches themselves are saying that they need to coach better it's better, but but the online and specifically the interior of it is is it offensive issues you fix those and I promise you are offense will get greatly better better.

It appears there's an echo on your end. But I'm with you on your analysis. 

• Beer 1

On 10/10/2021 at 6:28 PM, Proudiddy said:

This overly optimistic, "there's always next year" approach from a large portion of our fanbase is what has us hovering around .500 as a franchise after 25+ years of existence.

I understand growing pains and such, but Rhule decided to stamp his brand on this franchise, and whiffed on one QB and is now not looking too hot on the other.  He (and Fitterer as well) also largely neglected the OL in the offseason despite the obvious need.  This defense is good enough to make a deep run in the playoffs if it had any inkling of complementary football from its offense and special teams units.  Yes, building a winning franchise takes time, but it doesn't have to take three years.  Sometimes it can take as little as one...  but our fanbase is so used to accepting mediocrity we make excuses for it.

To add to this, we're always one of the youngest teams because Rhule creates that built-in excuse, by bringing in young Temple players and jettisoning every veteran acquired before 2020.