• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In support of Coach Rhule

PanthersATL

Just now, BurnNChinn said:

Yeah and they are playing like it lol. 

Honestly the defense has only looked poor in two games - Cowboys and Vikings games. Both of those teams are loaded on offense. If the offense was in any way competent the Panthers beat the Eagles and Giants with no issue. 

12 minutes ago, Tbe said:

The only HCs that work out long term have  elite QBs. Everyone else churns out.

You can’t stay if you don’t win consistently. You can’t win consistently if you don’t have an elite QB.

I don’t know if Rhule will stay, but the next staff won’t be the answer either without a real QB.

which is why teams without a QB have to start playing the QB lotto.  Which Rhule and company don't get.  They have brought in established bums and backed them up with his college QB. 

If you have no QB, you draft Fields.  Or you draft Mac.  Or you trade away captial to get one that wasn't going to fall.    And you bring in Menshew.  You bring in actual competition.   You start playing the QB lotto.  

You don't just make Sam Darnold the plan.  If that is your plan, you shouldn't be in charge of a NFL team.  That's college football.  In college, you can get to a decent or good record without being an actually good college football team.   Heck, in college you can be a top 25 team.  And not actually be good.   This is a weird year in college football but in a normal year....you can win games and squeak into the top 25....and not really be good at all in reality.  Still be a 20+ point under dog when you step on the field with one of the really good programs/teams. 

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, therealmjl said:

and the blame is squarely on Rhule for not having a competent OC, or literally anyone on the offensive staff who can call plays in the NFL.

Ok fine. Rant away. You want to put all the blame at Rhule's footsteps. Have at it.

Rhule may not have the pool of coaching acquaintances built to the point he can hire anyone he wants. Give the guy a chance. Or not.

Young coach in his first gig. But hey, let's roast him before he even gets started.

I have a crazy idea. Let's see where this goes before we burn it down. Maybe the guy figures it out. Not everybody is ready to light that match. 

• Flames 1

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

which is why teams without a QB have to start playing the QB lotto.  Which Rhule and company don't get.  They have brought in established bums and backed them up with his college QB. 

If you have no QB, you draft Fields.  Or you draft Mac.  Or you trade away captial to get one that wasn't going to fall.    And you bring in Menshew.  You bring in actual competition.   You start playing the QB lotto.  

You don't just make Sam Darnold the plan.  If that is your plan, you shouldn't be in charge of a NFL team.  That's college football.  In college, you can get to a decent or good record without being an actually good college football team.   Heck, in college you can be a top 25 team.  And not actually be good.   This is a weird year in college football but in a normal year....you can win games and squeak into the top 25....and not really be good at all in reality.  Still be a 20+ point under dog when you step on the field with one of the really good programs/teams. 

Rhule wanted to establish a winning culture sooner rather than later. So he went with experienced QBs. It seems that didn't work. It is no big indictment on his coaching. It was a calculated risk. 

Some rebuilds start with a rookie QB. Rhule tried to bypass that. That has no bearing whatsoever on his ability to coach.

7 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Ok fine. Rant away. You want to put all the blame at Rhule's footsteps. Have at it.

Rhule may not have the pool of coaching acquaintances built to the point he can hire anyone he wants. Give the guy a chance. Or not.

Young coach in his first gig. But hey, let's roast him before he even gets started.

I have a crazy idea. Let's see where this goes before we burn it down. Maybe the guy figures it out. Not everybody is ready to light that match. 

I can't wait to bump this at the end of the season when his record is 8-25.

11 minutes ago, Mage said:

I feel like our players don't suck though.

I mean maybe I'm in the minority... but I still like a lot of our roster.  It's the OL and QB that can be blamed for the majority of our problems.  Rhule deserves criticism for not doing more for the OL in his 2 years here, but I think he deserves another offseason to prove that he is willing and able to make the upgrades necessary to that unit.  I have confidence that the front office will spend the money to fix it.  

I agree with you, I think our roster is pretty solid except QB and OL (obviously huge holes on offense but still). My point was only in response to those defending Rhule due to the roster. Hence the quotes around suck in my other post.

18 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Rhule does not call plays. With even a competent OC, this team could compete.

Rhule hired him.  Every play runs through Rhule’s ear.  

and we know Rhule has say.  Like when he wanted to call a stupid fake punt on his 15. 

and if you gave a competent OC the worst starting QB in the NFL and a horrible OL….they will suck.  As bad as Brady? Who knows.  Brady was always a project.    But they would suck too

Just now, stbugs said:

C’mon, let’s be honest, the team quit quite a few times in 2018/2019 prompting the coaching change.

Remember this 38-6 loss?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401127906 

The 2019 team completely quit outside of all people, Vernon Butker, who got kicked out of the game but at least had a bit of fire and pride. That Colts team wasn’t much better than this Giants team. They lost 6 of 7 before crushing us. That was an embarrassing loss where we quit.

This week was worse than that because the team in 2019 was on a clear downward spiral after sucking in 2018. We appeared to be on an upward trajectory but this loss not only put a nail in 2021, it also seems to have called the entire rebuild into question. That hurts more than that 2019 embarrassment.

I'm not even considering that game because the team had nothing to play for after the coach got fired. At 3-3 against a bad Giants team, the team should NOT be quitting.