• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule being as honest as it will get

CRA

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

Terrace is fine for a rookie imo given the OL and who is throwing him the ball. Won't be many opportunities to go to we #3 when the OL is a sieve and qb can't see the field.

DJ was also having trouble with dropsies last year. It's worse this year, but he went from a couple awesome years to being pretty bad.  It's actually why I think something else is going on than Darnold being at fault (he is for some, but not all)... 

DJ is going to drop the ball at times. That’s just who he is, and the numbers show that. It’s never been this bad, though. The effort is also a concern, because again, that’s just not who he is or what he’s shown. He’s always been a guy that will wiggle out of tight situations, and try to fight for extra yards. Now, I understand this a contract year, so he’s trying not to get hurt, but I believe there’s something else there. I truly believe if PJ was the starter, you wouldn’t see these issues, or atleast not so much. I also admit, PJ isn’t that good

• Beer 1

Just now, AggieLean said:

DJ is going to drop the ball at times. That’s just who he is, and the numbers show that. It’s never been this bad, though. The effort is also a concern, because again, that’s just not who he is or what he’s shown. He’s always been a guy that will wiggle out of tight situations, and try to fight for extra yards. Now, I understand this a contract year, so he’s trying not to get hurt, but I believe there’s something else there. I truly believe if PJ was the starter, you wouldn’t see these issues, or atleast not so much. I also admit, PJ isn’t that good

DJ was weird last year too... There were a lot of comments about DJs effort last year and he actually dropped as many balls as he did in his first two years combined (and he basically doubled his drop %, it wasn't higher usage). 

I wonder if there is actually something on the O side of the ball, some way they are practicing or something, that has some of these guys down.  Teddy had a lot of negative things to say about the coaches and I always assumed he was just being a sour ass, but now I wonder...

• Beer 2

28 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Slater would have been a good pick as well. You take the QB or LT in that position. Darnold is still having the same issues he had 3 years as a Jet.

Again, the funny thing is Sam is everything that Cam was said to be, and at 4 years in the league. The other funny thing is the ones who would bring up Cams faults as a rookie and 1st year player, are the ones staunchly defending Darnold. I just think they didn’t like that man’s “personality” (or other things) and just won’t admit that. 

I saw a poster tried to compare Sam to Cam, and that was laughable. I would call him out but I’m going to be on my best behavior. Cam was a MVP, and Cams passing numbers dwarf what Sam does and has done in his 4 years. Cam was a QB that could actually process the field, and be a QB

Both are mobile and have the ability to stretch the field. You could potentially zone read Sam but not like Cam could. I think that’s about where the similarity ends.

Cam never got enough credit for who he was as a passer. The arm chair QBs constantly bitching about his completion percentage don’t realize that if guys like Brees and Brady had Cams athleticism then they wouldn’t have the same stats they have. 

Cam took the short yard gains himself when he couldn’t trust Funchess to catch the ball. We also ran the ball more on first down than most teams in the league when Cam was here. When the line wasn’t getting push Cam was put into 3rd and longs and miracle scenarios. High pressure throws that didn’t allow Cam to pad his stats like candyass Drew Brees

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

Both are mobile and have the ability to stretch the field. You could potentially zone read Sam but not like Cam could. I think that’s about where the similarity ends.

Cam never got enough credit for who he was as a passer. The arm chair QBs constantly bitching about his completion percentage don’t realize that if guys like Brees and Brady had Cams athleticism then they wouldn’t have the same stats they have. 

Cam took the short yard gains himself when he couldn’t trust Funchess to catch the ball. We also ran the ball more on first down than most teams in the league when Cam was here. When the line wasn’t getting push Cam was put into 3rd and longs and miracle scenarios. High pressure throws that didn’t allow Cam to pad his stats like candyass Drew Brees

Sam showed some heart this past game, so I’ll never take that away from him. It reminded me of when Cam was against Atlanta and dragged that defense for the first down. He was dead to rights 4 or 5 yards before the 1st down marker. Also, reminded me of the head shots; in particular, when that safety got him dead in the head but he came right back.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

The part so many overlook is that Cam was constantly tasked to throw the hardest passes a QB has to make - downfield throws to well covered receivers. We never had great receivers and our OC didn't understand the concept of a checkdown.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

false. there are numerous threads analyzing plays in his first two years where he gave up blocks and quit on routes, and an obvious general lack of effort - teammates literally called him out. 

i’m surprised people forgot all this…it was a valid concern 

yea he stepped up for one year it seems (last year), but this this notion is not new.

2 minutes ago, onmyown said:

false. there are numerous threads analyzing plays in his first two years where he gave up blocks and quit on routes, and an obvious general lack of effort - teammates literally called him out. 

i’m surprised people forgot all this…it was a valid concern 

yea he stepped up for one year it seems (last year), but this this notion is not new.

Well, if you got the proof I won’t question it. I’ll admit being wrong. I just don’t think DJ nor Robby is as bad as what we’re seeing this year. 

I also would lock DJ up with no concerns, providing we provide him a different QB. It’s about time we get him a reliable, accurate, good QB. He hasn’t had that since he’s been here, and I’m including that last year of Cam

Edited by AggieLean

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I think he cares about winning, he just doesn't know how to accomplish it is the issue. 

I think the staff knows they can't bring him back as a starter. That is essentially signing their own pink slips.

So you release him with all of that guaranteed money and bring in another reclamation project vet?

At that point you are just throwing bad money at bad money.  That might get you the pink slip also.

Honestly if we draft a QB that isn't ready, and people have their doubts about this class, you just let Darnold start again and the rookie takes over later in the season or the following season. Maybe Darnold looks decent enough somebody signs him as a free agent to be a back up and you get a comp pick out of it. 

If you draft a rookie you might buy some time, you can sell fanbase on a plan.  

It sounds bad, but we don't' need to be focused on winning, we need to be focused on finding a QB, that is what has got us in this trouble to start with.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The part so many overlook is that Cam was constantly tasked to throw the hardest passes a QB has to make - downfield throws to well covered receivers. We never had great receivers and our OC didn't understand the concept of a checkdown.

Agree on all counts. Cam had his accuracy issues at times but who gives a poo about completion percentage. Teddy Bridgewater is a checkdown stat padder. But he chokes with the game on line. If your QB isn’t clutch then you don’t really have a QB. That’s the only stat(intangible) that matters.

Edited by OneBadCat

Just now, AU-panther said:

So you release him with all of that guaranteed money and bring in another reclamation project vet?

At that point you are just throwing bad money at bad money.  That might get you the pink slip also.

Honestly if we draft a QB that isn't ready, and people have their doubts about this class, you just let Darnold start again and the rookie takes over later in the season or the following season. Maybe Darnold looks decent enough somebody signs him as a free agent to be a back up and you get a comp pick out of it. 

If you draft a rookie you might buy some time, you can sell fanbase on a plan.  

It sounds bad, but we don't' need to be focused on winning, we need to be focused on finding a QB, that is what has got us in this trouble to start with.

He is either getting released or getting moved or gonna be a backup. If you bring him back as a starter, you are just asking to be fired. He will not improve and he will cost you games. 

I agree on the focusing on winning. It's a very strange thing to say but they sort of got caught up in the moment and forgot this was a rebuilding effort. The sad part is that we aren't that terribly far away from being a good team. They just need to stick with the ORIGINAL plan and build effectively. Fix the OL and get a real NFL QB.

• Beer 1