• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

From the Observer-Five college quarterbacks the Carolina Panthers could draft to help rescue them

ladypanther

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Eff this noise:

Liberty redshirt senior QB Malik Willis completed 24-of-46 passes for 305 yards, a touchdown, and an interception in Saturday’s 31-16 loss to Army.

Willis (6'1/215) is one of the top prospects going into the 2022 draft, but he's had a rough couple of games, and that continued this week against a good Army defense. One of the better run defenses in the country, they needed to keep him one-dimensional, and they accomplished it as they held Willis to just 37 rushing yards and a couple of big tackles behind the line of scrimmage. Willis threw a touchdown to Noah Frith early in the third quarter, but Army still held a three-touchdown lead. Willis was finally able to break through on the ground with a garbage time rushing touchdown in the last seconds of the fourth quarter. It's certainly been a rough last stretch for Liberty as they end the season with three straight losses. Willis and the Flames will wait for their fate in the bowl season, and he'll have one more go before he begins his road to the NFL

Nov 27, 2021, 3:53 PM ET

I think fans and scouts have to be careful about trying to force the next great thing.

You try to convince yourself that Willis can be the next Lamar Jackson.

Same thing happened with Zach Wilson, you see some of the same type of off-platform throws that Mahome does so you start hoping to find that.

Trey Lance and Josh Allen is another example.

Recently successful players heavily influence scouts on what they start looking for in future players, but that can be dangerous.  Willis might be as fast as Lamar, or have as strong as an arm, but that doesn't mean he is going to develop the same way.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

This QB class is garbage.  Roll with Cam, keep Darnold as the backup (doubt any takers in a trade) and keep Morgan as a project QB.  Let PJ test FA.  I doubt there will be any takers, so we could always sign him back if needed.  See what the 2023 draft holds for QBs, because this ain't the year to waste a draft pick, one of the few we have remaining, on some scrub out of perceived desperation.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Please don't let Sam end up in Detroit... or here unless we're firing Rhule and Brady, for that matter.

Seems like more and more have Howell as a 2nd round pick or later. IMO, he has a higher probability of ending up a successful NFL QB sitting a couple of seasons to work out the kinks.

It does suck we don't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at a better depth/developmental QB there.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Seems like more and more have Howell as a 2nd round pick or later. IMO, he has a higher probability of ending up a successful NFL QB sitting a couple of seasons to work out the kinks.

It does suck we don't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at a better depth/developmental QB there.

Howell strikes me as a more accurate version of The Golden Calf of Bristol.  When your QB game is more centered on how well you scramble, then that's not the QB I want.  Mobile?  Absolutely, but as not the top attribute in my preferred QB.

6 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Howell strikes me as a more accurate version of The Golden Calf of Bristol.  When your QB game is more centered on how well you scramble, then that's not the QB I want.  Mobile?  Absolutely, but as not the top attribute in my preferred QB.

I think the running is more of a this year thing. He wasn't this run heavy his previous two seasons. I think he will dial that back in the NFL. That or his career will be pretty short. He is a stocky guy but that kind of running will get you killed at the next level.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

AHAHAHAHA!!! 😂 😂 😂

Howell didn't run AT ALL prior to this season. He's running this year because we suck and he has to because we only have one receiver.

• Pie 2

I've been doing quite a bit of research on Desmond Ridder lately and I'm more impressed than I expected to be.

I keep hearing that he's got accuracy issues, but I don't see it. He's got some consistency of accuracy issues at times, but he absolutely can throw an accurate ball. The inconsistency can be worked on.

I won't be surprised if he ends up going in the 1st round despite a lot of talk about him being more of a 2nd round prospect.