• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Good breakdown on Shaq

BrianS

10 minutes ago, BrianS said:

This guy does a pretty nice job of showcasing some of the changes Shaq has made this year, focusing on what he did against AZ.  Worth a watch imo.

He’s always been slightly above average throughout his career and people just bitched because of his pay. It’s amazing to watch his transformation, It reminds me so much of when we saw the light switch for Thomas Davis as well in the role. I hope he stays healthy and leads our team for years to come. He’s already one of the top players on defense which has plenty of up and coming stars

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

He’s always been slightly above average throughout his career and people just bitched because of his pay. It’s amazing to watch his transformation, It reminds me so much of when we saw the light switch for Thomas Davis as well in the role. I hope he stays healthy and leads our team for years to come. He’s already one of the top players on defense which has plenty of up and coming stars

True. Anyone in here who was actually alive/a Panthers fan back when they drafted TD remembers the incessant bitching that went on regarding TD being a wasted draft pick since they were converting him from safety to LB. It was years and multiple surgeries before he was the TD that people wistfully remember nowadays. Jury is out but it sure feels like that's the trajectory that Shaq is on now. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

Last season was the first time I was impressed with Shaq

He was drafted into a bad situation to be honest, he wasn't going get the opportunity to shine with Luke and TD in front of him and it looked like a bad pick.

They gave him a contract that looked to be more than he was worth but he is proving to be earning it.

B

• Pie 4

48 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

The narrative here was that he was "just a guy" that was a "luxury pick" and a "liability in coverage."

When he got paid, it was all of those things plus his contract.

I'm super happy though to see folks finally giving Shaq the credit he's due.

• Pie 2

There's been a lot of Shaq slander since he signed that contract, especially since his play prior to the contract did not seem to warrant how much we paid him.  And then watching Bradberry outperform him last year only added to that narrative.

I'll eat all the crow b/c I never saw Shaq playing at this level, which is right up there with the elite level of play we saw from Luke & TD.

For all the contracts given over the past few years that look awful in retrospect, this is one that has worked out much better than almost anyone imagined.

Shaq, Rhule, and Snow deserve a lot of credit.  Shaq should be a Pro Bowl lock for his play on the field.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

4 hours ago, Seltzer said:

There's been a lot of Shaq slander since he signed that contract, especially since his play prior to the contract did not seem to warrant how much we paid him.  And then watching Bradberry outperform him last year only added to that narrative.

I'll eat all the crow b/c I never saw Shaq playing at this level, which is right up there with the elite level of play we saw from Luke & TD.

For all the contracts given over the past few years that look awful in retrospect, this is one that has worked out much better than almost anyone imagined.

Shaq, Rhule, and Snow deserve a lot of credit.  Shaq should be a Pro Bowl lock for his play on the field.

I think that's the thing about being a fan. We never really know what is happening behind the scenes. The staff and coaches, even with the changes, have all spoke well of him. We always judge stats and game days but sometimes there are other things involved. But whatever it is, he seems to be coming into his prime. I think it's that plus our new staff seems to be really good at finding the right playing weight for players. We've seen many players change weight and blossom under this new staff. 

7 hours ago, Panther'sBigD said:

True. Anyone in here who was actually alive/a Panthers fan back when they drafted TD remembers the incessant bitching that went on regarding TD being a wasted draft pick since they were converting him from safety to LB. It was years and multiple surgeries before he was the TD that people wistfully remember nowadays. Jury is out but it sure feels like that's the trajectory that Shaq is on now. 

TD was a spy on Vick for 2 games and proved he could do what we desperately needed, stop Vick from embarrassing us twice twice year. Not the best safety by far his first year but he literally did what we drafted him to do. I remember a lot of bitching about not just playing him at LBer but not about being a bad player. If I remember correctly he came in at 226 and put on like 8 lbs or something in year 2. Then those 3 awful injuries. I remember a lot of people loving his potential even then  but being sad he had to be done only to prove the norm completely wrong.

Shaq has been good but not great until this year. Who drafted him, the Hurney contract and not getting him to his current roll faster was never his fault. I still don't think on field value vs contract translate into dislike for a player, it's just a value assestment. That's more of a dislike of the situation not necessarily the player. 

Either way the man has shown up big time this year and I don't hear too much about his contract with him producing like he is.

I'm ready to see Reddick get a new contract, and then Burns. They work really well together in this system. Even at big numbers that's looking like great value for the Panthers moving forward.