• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Carousel Rumors

jb2288

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If I were forced to make a prediction, it'd be that Rhule will still be here next season.

But a lot can change between now and season's end so who knows?

Good news is that Rhule, if the teams stays as it is, will be gone next year. 
This team is till years away from being contenders. 
I see nothing positive going into 2022 season. 

4 minutes ago, countryboi said:

Im a Canes fan. They just fired their AD, normally when you do that you completely clean house. There were rumors even before the AD was fired that Kiffin would leave Ole Miss for Miami. At least those part of the rumor sounds at least plausible

What is wrong with the Canes? Only loss 2 games in a row but both losses are concerning. 

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, countryboi said:

Im a Canes fan. They just fired their AD, normally when you do that you completely clean house. There were rumors even before the AD was fired that Kiffin would leave Ole Miss for Miami. At least those part of the rumor sounds at least plausible

A team with a power vacuum?

That might be of interest to a guy who wants control of everything.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, countryboi said:

Honestly going from Ole Miss to Miami feels like a step down but its someone to be said for not having to fight with GA and Bama every year

Definitely not. Ole Miss just had their first 10 win regular season EVER. They've never even won the SEC West, much less sniffed a Natty

On 12/1/2021 at 9:07 AM, unicar15 said:

Kelly got $100 mil. ND could write Rhule a voidable 7-year contract for $60 mil and save $40 mil. Rhule gets basically another start with the same money he’d make at CAR. If they offered that he’d be dumb not to take it. Bc if he has another bad year here he’s done. Nobody is gonna touch him. He’ll be a coordinator or get a mediocre college job. Ole Miss is a losing proposition. They’re gonna get run in the new SEC and now you’re following Kiffin if he leaves. You basically take that job if you’re looking for any way out of your situation. 

I know a lot about ND 

as I said, Rhule was never, ever going to be the pick  there 

Edited by raleigh-panther

22 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

If I were forced to make a prediction, it'd be that Rhule will still be here next season.

But a lot can change between now and season's end so who knows?

Tepper has shown he is slow on the trigger 

that trend continues and Rhule is still here in 2022 

…a bit concerning as the probability of Rhule succeeding here dwindles by the month.

The guy simply doesn't  get,  can’t get, or refuses to get the NFL 

Might as well get used to another season of press conferences starting with a lost looking Rhule stating ‘we got out coached, out hit, and out played today,  credit to the other team’. 

That is just what I’d want to hear from a guy I signed to a 6 year 65 million dollar contract 

The mid-tier SEC programs are stepping stone jobs for a reason. You might be able to have a good season or two but sustained success is going to be practically impossible going up again the Alabamas, LSUs, and Georgias of the world. Might as well leverage that good season or two into landing a job where sustained success is a lot more probable.

• Pie 1

On the topic of coaching rumors in his latest mailbag, Albert Breer also affirmed Rhule's commitment to staying with the Panthers:

From Hovis Panther (@HovisMyers): Matt Rhule back to college?

Hovis, I’m not gonna channel Mike Tomlin here, but I think it’s highly unlikely. Will Oklahoma and Notre Dame call? They’d be out of their minds not to. And for the same reason Kliff Kingsbury deflected questions about the Oklahoma job, it’d be understandable if he let some rumors percolate for a bit (though Kingsbury’s in a contract year in 2022, whereas Rhule’s deal runs through ’26).

In the end, though, I think Rhule’s viewed himself as an NFL coach the whole time, going back to when he had jobs at Temple and Baylor, and is where he wants to be now. In fact, as I’d heard it, one reason you didn’t hear many complaints from players in Waco as Rhule worked to leave Baylor was because he was up front with everyone on his aspirations.

The other thing is that the college game will be there for Rhule, if things don’t work out in Carolina down the line. It’s the beauty of his situation. He was wildly successful in two places that weren’t the easiest to win at, and he’s still just 46. So maybe he’ll be in the NFL for good, and he’ll win big with the Panthers and that’s that. If not? You better believe some big-time college program will be waiting for him behind the wheel of a Brink’s truck.

Oy 😕

If Rhule "views himself as a pro coach", then it's pretty much Panthers or bust because it's hard to imagine any other pro team wanting him based on his performance here.

Breer did mention one intriguing possibility in another area though when he was asked about the Bears  head coaching options:

As for other candidates, I think Josh McDaniels is one worth keeping your eye on, someone with a high-end résumé in quarterback development, and a coach who took a very hard look at Fields predraft last year. Or maybe the McCaskey family will take a big swing at someone like Sean Payton, who worked with GM Ryan Pace in New Orleans and is from Chicago.