• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Blunders of Matt Rhule

davos

17 hours ago, davos said:

• Hires a OC w/ basically zero coordinator experience and was even more green than Rhule

I don't actually think he was responsible for hiring Brady- he basically said so at the news conference the other day. Something like- "hiring him was way outside my comfort zone." Which to me read that it was not his first choice. And given his propensity for hiring coaches he's worked with in the past, I'd say that furthers the argument. My guess is that Tepper pushed him towards that.

My biggest beef with the dude centers around the QB situation, specifically moving on from TB, only to replace him with a dude who's ceiling is only marginally higher than TB. Then, the unfathomable decision to surround a guy who has been completely shell shocked for 3 years, with this O line. Absolutely no one thought this O line would even be average, and yet the coaching staff actively decided these were the dudes. they could have at least upgraded 2 positions through FA (Thuney- 75 PFF) and the draft (Creed Humphrey - 90 PFF) But decided instead to dance around and get garbage FA's, and BC and TM (Jury's still out on both) 

NFL is all about maximizing on your window of opportunity, ie- taking advantage of players while they are on rookie contracts. Next year was supposed to be the year that we peaked, or got pretty damn close to it. Instead it's somehow going to be a year of regression (slight step back on D with the presumed loss of Jackson and HR) and zero QB prospects, which is really hard to imagine given our current record.

I think during the writing of this post I have gone from relatively non committal about Rhule's future, to now relatively sure he should be fired after this season. If next year is destined to be a rebuilding year I think I'd rather do it with a new staff (except for Snow- still love that dude)

52 minutes ago, CRA said:

Hill came in essentially for a gadget run package.   A variation of pulling a QB to run the wildcat IMO. 

I wouldn't say that is what we saw with PJ. 

What we saw was Rhule giving PJ mercy snaps. 

Rhule knows his days are numbered and by extension so are PJs. Nobody else is giving that scrub a roster spot.

8 minutes ago, MilkyCastles said:

I don't actually think he was responsible for hiring Brady- he basically said so at the news conference the other day. Something like- "hiring him was way outside my comfort zone." Which to me read that it was not his first choice. And given his propensity for hiring coaches he's worked with in the past, I'd say that furthers the argument. My guess is that Tepper pushed him towards that.

My biggest beef with the dude centers around the QB situation, specifically moving on from TB, only to replace him with a dude who's ceiling is only marginally higher than TB. Then, the unfathomable decision to surround a guy who has been completely shell shocked for 3 years, with this O line. Absolutely no one thought this O line would even be average, and yet the coaching staff actively decided these were the dudes. they could have at least upgraded 2 positions through FA (Thuney- 75 PFF) and the draft (Creed Humphrey - 90 PFF) But decided instead to dance around and get garbage FA's, and BC and TM (Jury's still out on both) 

NFL is all about maximizing on your window of opportunity, ie- taking advantage of players while they are on rookie contracts. Next year was supposed to be the year that we peaked, or got pretty damn close to it. Instead it's somehow going to be a year of regression (slight step back on D with the presumed loss of Jackson and HR) and zero QB prospects, which is really hard to imagine given our current record.

I think during the writing of this post I have gone from relatively non committal about Rhule's future, to now relatively sure he should be fired after this season. If next year is destined to be a rebuilding year I think I'd rather do it with a new staff (except for Snow- still love that dude)

I don't even want snow to stay. Our d is routinely out of position or getting abused. Snow is not much better than the rest of this staff

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Has anyone said not drafting Parsons last draft?  godalmighty how do you miss on that evaluation?  If you wanted to beef up your defense and they obviously did then why wasnt parsons in the conversation?

Teams that are based on analytics will never draft a off ball LB in the first round. 

No one expected parsons to be a elite pass rusher 

31 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Has anyone said not drafting Parsons last draft?  godalmighty how do you miss on that evaluation?  If you wanted to beef up your defense and they obviously did then why wasnt parsons in the conversation?

That's a tricky "what if" road to go down that will only make you more frustrated.

Could have gone Wirfs/Wills in 2020 R1, Hurts, J Taylor, T Diggs R2-1, Chinn R2-2

2021: Slater, Parsons, Mac, or Fields were there (Slater seemed like he was presented to us on a platter, just like Wirfs and Wills).  Sam Cosmi was available Round 2 for us.  And before he got banged up was the top performing rookie OL behind Slater.

I mean honestly, we could have easily had rebuilt this OL with Wirfs, Slater, & Cosmi along with Moton and look top-5 in the league about now.  Building the OL was presented right there for us when it was the most glaring weakness.  We decided on Brown, Horn, Marshall instead. 

But alas, what's done is done 🙂 In another world...

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PootieNunu said:

Teams that are based on analytics will never draft a off ball LB in the first round. 

No one expected parsons to be a elite pass rusher 

We are obviously not a team based on analytics.  I can give you numerous examples but I think you already know it though.

I am pretty sure that Parsons strength was rushing the passer coming into the draft

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/micah-parsons/32005041-5275-3418-9a2d-9826287ee445

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, davos said:

That's a tricky "what if" road to go down that will only make you more frustrated.

Could have gone Wirfs/Wills in 2020 R1, Hurts, J Taylor, T Diggs R2-1, Chinn R2-2

2021: Slater, Parsons, Mac, or Fields were there (Slater seemed like he was presented to us on a platter, just like Wirfs and Wills).  Sam Cosmi was available Round 2 for us.  And before he got banged up was the top performing rookie OL behind Slater.

I mean honestly, we could have easily had rebuilt this OL with Wirfs, Slater, & Cosmi along with Moton and look top-5 in the league about now.  Building the OL was presented right there for us when it was the most glaring weakness.  We decided on Brown, Horn, Marshall instead. 

I watched Wills yesterday and man he is a mauler. 

Edited by mrcompletely11

2 minutes ago, davos said:

I really wish we had done so.

Even if Slater couldn't play LT, and he's proven he can, a high level starting G is very important at well...just as much as a run stuffing DT....IMO.  Not a pass rush DT mind you, but a Brown type player.

This team has tried, to fix the O Line, they just have no idea how to do so...spanning a few coaching staffs now.

Our defense is easy to exploit. You have your QB look at what package we have on the field. If we're small, then run it. If we put in the big lineup, spread out and pass it. We need an elite DE who can hold up against the run and rush the passer in the mold of Chase Young to use a recent example. That would stop our defensive woes. Instead Snow is tried to use CJ's pass coverage skills to allow us to shift help against the run. ATL immediatly attacked CJ and we learned CJ is not quiet good enough.

Our offense is without a proper o-line, and so nothing else really matters. We need an elite LT to help stabilize the line, and a good center added to the mix would be ideal.

We don't have a franchise QB, and that determines if you have a chance to win the SB give you can put together a decent team. Winning the SB without a franchise QB is not an option.

Rhule insanely build this team defense first. That makes no sense. A good offense has the advantage over a good defense due to modern rules. Refs will start calling phantom fouls on the defense to get the TDs going in stale games. At any time the refs can start throwing flags to make a dead in the water offense energized and putting up points. This has to do with maintaining ratings. Call it tight on the defense if the score is low. Loosen up if the offense is high flying. 50/50 calls favor the offense. Touchy pass coverage and the flags can come at any point. It's all up to how the refs call the game, and they favor the offense generally. Besides that someone is always open.

Dallas used the correct blueprint. Franchise QB, brick wall o-line, weapons all around, and scrappy affordable defense. That's what we need, and we have a high draft pick to draft one of the following, LT, DE, QB. DO SOMETHING.

Edited by pantherj

6 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

I've been a proponent of giving him another year, but I do have to say his decision making often seems *frantic* and lacking in clear-headed, long-term thinking. It gives off the air of someone who is desperate and knows that they don't know what they're doing sometimes.

Firing a coach after 2 seasons is the exact opposite of what tepper learned in Pitt.  You can get yourself into the weeds in a hurry if you start recycling coach in a hurry.  Not saying Rhule is a good coach but I would bet Tepper gives him one more year at least to straighten this out.  Albeit I bet he strips him of some personnel power to focus on coaching