• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton and Rhule

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Also from today...

Translated: "The owner forced Cam Newton on me and now I'm gonna show him who the real boss is here!"

Probably not a wise career choice.

Shades of Moneyball's Art Howe/Billy Beane showdown with regard to players (yes, I know Beane was the GM not the owner, but roll with me here).

Edited by tiger7_88

I’ve not ever seen Rhule get ‘angry’ during  a game, after a game etc. He tends to put blame on players and coaches with out calling names.

I can’t help but wonder, if , once he signed $62 million, 7 yr contact ( that’s generational) that he wants to win, but if he doesn’t,, he’s , his family, children, are set for multiple generations. 
He doesn’t really get angry, and the worse it gets, the less he really cares. 
oh, if some how Darnold had worked out, he’d have riden the wave .

1 hour ago, Smithers said:

I get it.  But Rhule is right.  Cam turned the ball over twice in the opponents side of the field after two long drives.  Cam needs to be held accountable like everyone else.  Rhule said the same about Sam when he kept committing turnovers 

Cam holds Cam accountable.  If you haven't seen that over these many years, you're blind.

Now, with that being said, can you point out to me all these times that Rhule threw Darnold and his boy P.J. under the bus to the media?

Edited by tiger7_88
  • Pie 2

4 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Translated: "The owner forced Cam Newton on me and now I'm gonna show him who the real boss is here!"

Probably not a wise career choice.

Shades of Moneyball's Art Howe/Billy Beane showdown (yes, I know Beane was the GM not the owner, but roll with me here).

I haven't seen "Moneyball".

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I haven't seen "Moneyball".

You should.  Great movie.

Short description: Beane understands that Oakland is a low-budget team, can't spend on elite free-agents, can't keep their own, good, self-developed players from leaving as free-agents because he can't pay them either, so he decides to build a roster on "metrics".  Signs imperfect bargain-basement players due to their favorable "metrics" and not because (as the scouts in the movie would say) "he looks like a baseball player".

Art Howe, the manager, continues to play the guys he likes who "look like baseball players" but continue to fail.

Billy Beane trades Art Howe's boys for money and a soda-machine and leaves Art Howe only with Beane's "metrics" players.

The A's win 23 in a row and make the playoffs.

Based on real people and teams, yes, but (of course) HIGHLY fictionalized and that's what makes it a good movie.

Good god, saw that 1:16 long clip of him trying to explain this. So he's rotating them like they're tailbacks & it's a forced upon him due to the situation.  We know what Cam is.  He's an 11 year vet taking ownership.  You don't need to point it out.

You know, it'd be nice to acknowledge PJ's dogsh*t play below the level of a 3rd stringer with a career of 55%, 2 TDs and 8 TDs. Why are we playing him?  If anything, you should be rotating Barkley & Cam you dingus.

• Flames 1

There's plenty of reasons WHY to play Cam.  Running ability, energy, teams needing to account for him in RPO looks.  

Now what on earth is the reason for PJ outside of Temple? Seriously? I'm really surprised this isn't getting panned more.  But luckily no one focuses on us enough to warrant the laughing stock.  We're the neglected sh*tstain.  

Thanks Rhule.  

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

Now, with that being said, can you point out to me all these times that Rhule threw Darnold and his boy P.J. under the bus to the media?

I was curious.

After Minnesota:  "We’re going to have to do a better job of getting our guys to understand that we can’t have turnovers. What Sam needed today was a little help from his friends at times. I think when you’re a quarterback who is a little out of sorts, you’re out of whack, you need some guys to go out and make some plays for you."

After the Giants game : "Sam's got to take care of the football. Sam's got to throw on time and if it's not there, find a check down. We can't be driving with a chance to take the lead and throw interceptions."

After New England: "I don’t want to lay it all on one guy, but we can’t keep throwing the ball up in the air."

• Beer 3

3 minutes ago, trueblade said:

What Sam needed today was a little help from his friends at times. I think when you’re a quarterback who is a little out of sorts, you’re out of whack, you need some guys to go out and make some plays for you."

I wonder where the corresponding statement is by Rhule where OL should help out their QB’s but not stepping on their feet?

I guess, according to Rhule, Cam doesn’t deserve “a little help from his friends”?

Good ol’ Sam does, gosh darn it!

Rhule could totally be an insecure little man on a power trip but I dont have any problem with what he says in press conferences 

whether youre a coach, a sales manager, an Army officer or a parent part of the job is knowing which people you can push and challenge and which ones need positive enforcement and encouragement. You cant expect a reasonable coach to treat an 11 year vet that was an MVP who carried a team to a Super Bowl the same way as a 24 year old who just spent 3 years getting dogged by NY media trying to get a fresh start who clearly does not have the same composure. One of Phil Jacksons greatest attributes as a coach was his ability to recognize which players needed which types of motivating

we used to think Rivera was a softy who couldnt hold people accountable and then the Amazon doc came out and we saw behind closed doors he had no problems chewing people out

i also think its telling that sought after free agents like Anderson and Reddick came back to play for him instead of getting as far away from him as possible

2 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

Cam holds Cam accountable.  If you haven't seen that over these many years, you're blind.

It’s easy - google press transcripts from prior games.  He did it often.  

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2208753/amp

Coaches hold players accountable.  It’s their job.  I’m a Cam nut hugger like most on here.  But it’s hilarious when people think the head coach isn’t allowed to hold a player making millions accountable.  

Edited by Smithers
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Knaakedup said:

... but did he though? I don't recall Rhule ever throwing Sam under the bus, especially highlighting a fumble that wasn't even Cam's fault. Maybe I feel protective over Cam in a weird fatherly way, but after every crappy Sam game with multiple turnovers I can't recall a week where Rhule went out of his way at multiple different pressers to highlight how bad Sam did. 

Like I said to others…just Google it.  But to make it easy, here is one example that I found in 10 seconds:

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2208753/amp

Rhule wasn’t being extraordinarily hard or unfair on Cam.  He didn’t throw him under the bus.  He just held him accountable for mistakes he made.  He’s done the same with others also.  I’m a Cam nut hugger - but he’s gotta take his all the same 

• Flames 1