• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The next four weeks...

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, blackcat said:

Judging from how he kept Hurney around for too long, I think he gives Rhule another year with the caveat that Rhule and Fitt focus on nothing but OL.  Tepper has shown he's involved (ie, bringing Cam back), so it would shock me if he didn't dictate that OL and nothing but OL should be the focus.

Unfortunately, if you demand focus on the offensive line but you leave Matt Rhule in charge of who we pick up, you should probably get ready to hear the word "versatility" a lot.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, musicman said:

They are NOT going to let Rhule go. Also think that most of the coaches are mostly Rhule guys, who guides the team? He's gonna get year 3 and if shows improvement, he'll get another. Its a 7 year contract. He staying 3 to 4 years at a minimum. Tepper original said it may take 5 years to build a consistent winner so I see 4 as a minimum. 

I don't like this, but I think you are probably right. They will be changes to the coaching staff I think, but not at HC. If things don't turn around next year significantly I think this staff is done. Based on the some of the moves this year that didn't pan out- Id think we would have to have a really, REALLY, good offseason to make the necessary improvement possible. I'd expect at least one risky trade of a productive veteran in order to try to build some draft capital. With only 1 pick in the first two days of the draft we won't be able to address our serious needs (QB, OL).

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, musicman said:

They are NOT going to let Rhule go. Also think that most of the coaches are mostly Rhule guys, who guides the team? He's gonna get year 3 and if shows improvement, he'll get another. Its a 7 year contract. He staying 3 to 4 years at a minimum. Tepper original said it may take 5 years to build a consistent winner so I see 4 as a minimum. 

lol no

• Pie 1

There's always the caveat that bad teams choose bad coaches, again and again. The Jags and the Raiders are just those kinds of teams. Perhaps it's good that they get to take the first swing and perhaps thin the herd a bit for us. When selecting the cream of the crop, they both have a talent for grabbing the jug of expired, soured milk. 

Still, I have to think that if Tepper is as smart as they said he was, there's already a group at work putting together a prospects board and doing their homework before making a firing announcement and setting up interviews.

There's no way with a fanbase in revolt and a quiet, but unsupportive team, that Tepper isn't seriously mulling the end of this disastrous experiment. There are probably accountants and lawyers working on that massive contract and trying to work a buyout.

We'll know by Monday at 2 p.m.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Rhule’s honeymoon period is finished and truly over as far as the fanbase is concerned. His management of situational football doesn’t seem to be improving and the clock issues and third-quarter production are ongoing concerns that are holding this team back.

There is no doubting that Rhule is on the hot seat with the fans because what we  want to see is progression year-on-year en route to becoming a leading contender sooner rather than later and it is just not happening.

If it had been my decision, Rhule a college coach and not a great one, would never have been hired . I would love to see him gone like yesterday but considering some of the bad decisions Tepper has made,I would not be surprised if he gives Rhule another year, which in my opinion would be a big,big mistake.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Field Yates just said on ESPN he expects both Marvin Lewis and Jim Caldwell to get looks during this coaching cycle.

Lewis is a very good defensive coordinator. Caldwell runs a really good offense and is an exceptional quarterback coach.

Neither of them have been all that successful as head coaches. Lewis got a lot more years on the job but if I was going to take a look at one of them it'd probably be Caldwell.