• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

COVID Craziness

Mr. Scot

43 minutes ago, gofightwin said:

This is all likely the Omnicron variant. Supposed to spread much much quicker but more mild symptoms.  Honestly the quicker it blows through, the quicker we get more people with immunity, especially if symptoms are milder 

I'm in NYC and so many friends are getting it out of nowhere, after months of going back to work, going to shows etc. Has to be the new variant and the US does a poor job of tracking this sort of thing in general. They say it's 13% of NY cases already which probably means almost half in reality

• Poo 1

4 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said: If you had it you wont get it. At some point everyone will have it.  Destroying culture and ways of life wont change the favt that everyone will get it.  In a way Omicron is a freaking blessing. It would be awesome if everyone caught Omicron because its natures vaccine. Way less potent virus that still provides the antibodies.

Incorrect scientific statement. Immunization wanes after having it no different than the vaccines. Same with the antibodies 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I'm in NYC and so many friends are getting it out of nowhere, after months of going back to work, going to shows etc. Has to be the new variant and the US does a poor job of tracking this sort of thing in general. They say it's 13% of NY cases already which probably means almost half in reality

UNCC had to do DNA testing on campus to confirm a student had it.  If anyone thinks Starmed/Atrium/etc are DNA testing every positive test, they all crazy.  There hasn't been this kind of spread around people who are tested daily (NBA/NFL) since the start that it has to be Omicron. Especially when you aren't hearing about huge spikes in deaths.

• Beer 1

24 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Incorrect scientific statement. Immunization wanes after having it no different than the vaccines. Same with the antibodies 

You sure about that?  I think that you'll find is that they say they don't know.  Which indicates to me that it's not likely.

The rare "breakthrough" cases where someone is reinfected is likely not even Covid.  It's likely that the person has the flu or a cold, but the testing yielded a positive result because they still have dead virus in their body.  That's one reason why they say serious disease from reinfection is very rare. It's because it's likely not even Covid.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

Inevitable things are just that, inevitable. A virus doesn't know from playoffs, ratings or a 53-man roster on game day. 

The thing they aren't talking about isn't what is happening on the field or locker rooms but what is probably also happening in the stands. Consider how locked down the football players have been and how tied they are to their communities, chances are that team's COVID situation probably reflects their community to a certain degree. If Washington has 21 players out for positive tests or contacts with no vaccinations, they are bringing what, 60,000 fans in to a situation where maybe 5,000 to 10,000 people who are asymptomatic or experiencing light cases. The infection vectors there are just astounding.

And let's not even think of the Omicron impact, because that hasn't been driving the recent surge around the country, that's good old Delta still at work. 

In the next two days there's either going to be some changes to how the games are played, when the games are played and perhaps if the games are played. Testing right up until the game days are going to possibly get worse.

At best, we might see them allow teams to activate their entire practice squads to make numbers. We might see them just chalk it up to happenstance and say "Play it like the people are injured and do your best" with all the weird results. I just don't want them to suspend some responsible rules because of money and a hubris that this ain't that bad. 

If they won't protect the fans, at least do it for the Aaron Rodgers and Antonio Browns of the league who've faked it this far and could be in danger...

Edit to add: Latest reports around the country are that Delta is responsible for about 94% of current cases of COVID, with Omicron barely registering on the list as of yet.

Has there been one single instance of a COVID "super spreader" event this year since everything opened back up?  How many concerts and games of all sports happen on a weekly basis?  I have not heard one single instance of a mass of people getting sick by attending anything.  You would think it would happen with regularity. 

Kinda makes you think...

Yes, it's crazy but it's hard to separate the results from the inane covid policies.  Again, Covid poses no risk to healthy world class athletes.  It's going to be with us forever but yet we are still charging ahead with acting like the spread can be slowed or, even worse, that the virus can be eradicated. It's a complete overestimation of human agency in this situation. So fuging stupid.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, BIGH2001 said:

Yes, it's crazy but it's hard to separate the results from the inane covid policies.  Again, Covid poses no risk to healthy world class athletes.  It's going to be with us forever but yet we are still charging ahead with acting like the spread can be slowed or, even worse, that the virus can be eradicated. It's a complete overestimation of human agency in this situation. So fuging stupid.

We are NEVER going to get rid of it, and the sooner everyone in charge accepts this fact, and pivots to managing an endemic situation versus trying to completely get rid of it, the better off we will all be.  We cannot lock down the entire planet indefinitely.  Hell, even when we did it had almost no effect on the virus moving throughout the population.  Its here.  Its never going away.  We have to learn to live with it, and mitigate its effects as much as we possibly can.  Also, develop a real vaccine akin to smallpox or polio (don't even know if this is possible for a coronavirus, which is why there has never been one before).  

• Beer 1

31 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

The data is all over the place. Some people keep it longer and others it goes much faster. There is nothing conclusive I have seen from a reputable source. 

It's a free-for-all grade A clusterfug on opinions.

I'm just trying to keep the vulnerable people in my life alive and without crippling medical bills. 

• Pie 4

11 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

You sure about that?  I think that you'll find is that they say they don't know.  Which indicates to me that it's not likely.

The rare "breakthrough" cases where someone is reinfected is likely not even Covid.  It's likely that the person has the flu or a cold, but the testing yielded a positive result because they still have dead virus in their body.  That's one reason why they say serious disease from reinfection is very rare. It's because it's likely not even Covid.

CDC statement   It has been out for awhile.  

2 minutes ago, joemac said:

We are NEVER going to get rid of it, and the sooner everyone in charge accepts this fact, and pivots to managing an endemic situation versus trying to completely get rid of it, the better off we will all be.  We cannot lock down the entire planet indefinitely.  Hell, even when we did it had almost no effect on the virus moving throughout the population.  Its here.  Its never going away.  We have to learn to live with it, and mitigate its effects as much as we possibly can.  Also, develop a real vaccine akin to smallpox or polio (don't even know if this is possible for a coronavirus, which is why there has never been one before).  

It's all theater at this point. People can decide to get vaccinated or not. Cancelling games, classes, school, etc etc and forcing fully vaccinated and asymptomatic people to "isolate" is quite possibly one of the dumbest and most illogical concepts ever. I'm so sick of this poo and I'm sick of a few people in positions of power being able to seemingly rule over society with impunity. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, BIGH2001 said:

It's all theater at this point. People can decide to get vaccinated or not. Cancelling games, classes, school, etc etc and forcing fully vaccinated and asymptomatic people to "isolate" is quite possibly one of the dumbest and most illogical concepts ever. I'm so sick of this poo and I'm sick of a few people in positions of power being able to seemingly rule over society with impunity. 

standing ovation clap GIF

• Beer 1

Theres zero science or logic any of the protocols follow

If the protocols are about “stopping the spread” then how come if you can still get it when vaccinated why did they push players to get vaccinated just to make them sit out if they get it? Why are they allowing 70k people to sit in a stadium?

if its about “player safety” then why do vaccinated, asymptomatic players have to sit out? 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

Went to the Target on Metropolitan the other day and forgot my mask. I asked the lady at the front if they had extras. She said “no and you dont need it, people just might look at you weird but you can still come in”

at least she was honest

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1